PDA

View Full Version : Audio Recording Interface

tcm48
Dec 9, 2008, 03:02 PM
Hello - I'm another new user.
I have a dozen or so old Jazz master reel-to-reel stereo tapes that I helped to record in the 70's. They still are in perfect condition, but won't last forever. They are very high quality professional recordings that I want to convert to digital. I have a first class stereo tape deck capable of superb audio playback. I really don't want to spend a lot of time learning a new occupation, and would like a high quality interface and software that is really easy to use. Top quality is more important than the cheapest price, but I don't want to overspend on this for a one time project. Should I look for a sound card or external audio interface? I tried the inputs on my Mac Pro, but was really disappointed. I was hoping it would be possible to find the right equipment for a few hundred dollars or less. Any advice would be appreciated!

hakukani
Dec 9, 2008, 06:15 PM
Hello - I'm another new user.
I have a dozen or so old Jazz master reel-to-reel stereo tapes that I helped to record in the 70's. They still are in perfect condition, but won't last forever. They are very high quality professional recordings that I want to convert to digital. I have a first class stereo tape deck capable of superb audio playback. I really don't want to spend a lot of time learning a new occupation, and would like a high quality interface and software that is really easy to use. Top quality is more important than the cheapest price, but I don't want to overspend on this for a one time project. Should I look for a sound card or external audio interface? I tried the inputs on my Mac Pro, but was really disappointed. I was hoping it would be possible to find the right equipment for a few hundred dollars or less. Any advice would be appreciated!

Apogee Duet.

zimv20
Dec 9, 2008, 06:53 PM
for a one time project: hire it out to a professional transfer service.

or, for your price, you could hire a better a/d converter than you could buy.

Luap
Dec 10, 2008, 11:28 AM
I agree with both the above replies, actually. An Apogee Duet would be excellent for doing what you want. It seems you know what you are doing, and this is about the best possible quality device for doing it.
Or.. You could pay someone to do the transfers for you. However, depending on how much material you have to transfer, it may still be cost effective to do it yourself with the Apogee interface.

If you do decide to do it yourself, then you only need the interface, and a basic 2 track audio recording/editing app. Of which theres a few free/cheap ones that would do a more than good enough job. I use Sound Studio, but theres a multitude of alternatives you can use.

tcm48
Dec 15, 2008, 09:09 AM
Thank you for your help. As I am a real "do - it - yourselfer", I have decided to go for the Apogee Duet. It's a little expensive, but for someone who loves gadgets, it is really perfect. It looks like I can get everyday use for using it with Itunes etc. I also have a lot of old records that I would like to add to Itunes, so this will really be great.
Thanks again

mootie
Dec 16, 2008, 03:04 PM
I've been considering the duet, but can anyone suggest something a bit cheaper, around the 200 mark?

FX120
Dec 16, 2008, 03:36 PM
I've been considering the duet, but can anyone suggest something a bit cheaper, around the 200 mark?

The Mackie Onyx satelite isn't bad for the price.

MowingDevil
Dec 20, 2008, 12:17 AM

I've heard great things about Tascam's FIREONE and this is a decent price as its sometimes at least double this.
Fire One by Tascam (http://www.amazon.com/Tascam-FIREONE-Firewire-Audio-Interface/dp/B000ODQYNA)

Never used it but if I heard about it before I purchased the Duet I would have given it serious consideration.