Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

memco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2008
So I've been tasked with sending bulk emails for my employer (less than 1,000 recipients). My question is what recommendations do you guys have?

I was thinking I'd just grab PHPMailer, throw in a timed loop so I don't overwhelm the server and go. My biggest concerns are that we need to avoid the stigma of sending too many emails at once, and we need to be able to send attachments.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
You want an email list manager that can send in batches. One I've used with excellent results is Dada Mail. It's a cgi script (no php versions when I last checked, unfortunately) that requires some configuration. But it's fantastic and very flexible. You can set up opt-in, opt-out lists, and it will send in batches; for instance, it can send the email to 1 recipient every minute, or 20 every 15 minutes, etc. You might check with your ISP to see what the limits are or what they prefer.

Here is the website: http://dadamailproject.com/

Again, this is a script that you install on your own servers, and it's very customizable. And it's free. (There is a paid Pro version, but the free one is all you should need.)

memco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Sadly, the system isn't going to be hosted on the web (barring an ASP solution). So opt-in/out isn't going to be useful, but otherwise, this is handy.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
In my understanding sending bulk email without an opt-out is against the law. Make sure you fully understand the CAN-SPAM act. While it is unlikely that you will get sued by the FTC, I have seen a few corporations forcibly dropped from their ISP and had one client blacklisted so that every email sent from the company was treated as spam. It cost them quite a bit of money and business.

Have you considered using a professional service like constant contact? For less than 1000 recipients you are looking at less than $30 a month. The service is easy to use, the tracking data is useful, and there is less risk of getting blacklisted.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Sadly, the system isn't going to be hosted on the web (barring an ASP solution). So opt-in/out isn't going to be useful, but otherwise, this is handy.

Well, you certainly don't have to use that part. It could still do the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.