Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smittay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Okay,

I just got my new 24 inch aluminum, 4GB, 1TB, iMac back from Apple finally. First one had screen problems.

No white spots on the screens, no lines and gradations like previously before phewwwwww. and the stand is sturdier with the tilt screen stronger than before.

However, I do notice a HUGE DIFFERENCE in the SOUNDS -- its not my internal speakers on my iMac, cause it does it on my external JBL's too when theyre connected.

On my identical iMac at work (and the one i previously returned - which was purchased in May), I could have itunes volume up around 90% and system volume up at 90% with no distortion.

Now, i can only put the itunes volume up around 70% and the system volume at around 70% -- or else the iMac starts distorting its built in speakers and my JBL external speakers do also.

Is this just Apple upgrading their soundcard so I won't have to turn it up as loud (70% now vs. 90% before without distortion). Or do you think its a system flaw? Has anybody heard of this with the most recent iMacs?

It sounds a heck of a lot clearer when it is 70% or lower, but i never had the problem where i put itunes above 70% and system volume above 70% too and it got really distorted.. I noticed it right away - since I'm using to playing it at that level.

i just remember cranking my internal speakers at work almost all the way with itunes up 80% without any distortion, now when i do that with the one at home its all distorted.

:confused: HELP!

and PS - yes i checked the equalizer in itunes.

any ideas or anyone ever heard of this with the latest iMacs that have shipped? i don't want to have to take this back again...

smitt

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Okay,

I just got my new 24 inch aluminum, 4GB, 1TB, iMac back from Apple finally. First one had screen problems.

No white spots on the screens, no lines and gradations like previously before phewwwwww. and the stand is sturdier with the tilt screen stronger than before.

However, I do notice a HUGE DIFFERENCE in the SOUNDS -- its not my internal speakers on my iMac, cause it does it on my external JBL's too when theyre connected.

On my identical iMac at work (and the one i previously returned - which was purchased in May), I could have itunes volume up around 90% and system volume up at 90% with no distortion.

Now, i can only put the itunes volume up around 70% and the system volume at around 70% -- or else the iMac starts distorting its built in speakers and my JBL external speakers do also.

Is this just Apple upgrading their soundcard so I won't have to turn it up as loud (70% now vs. 90% before without distortion). Or do you think its a system flaw? Has anybody heard of this with the most recent iMacs?

It sounds a heck of a lot clearer when it is 70% or lower, but i never had the problem where i put itunes above 70% and system volume above 70% too and it got really distorted.. I noticed it right away - since I'm using to playing it at that level.

i just remember cranking my internal speakers at work almost all the way with itunes up 80% without any distortion, now when i do that with the one at home its all distorted.

:confused: HELP!

and PS - yes i checked the equalizer in itunes.

any ideas or anyone ever heard of this with the latest iMacs that have shipped? i don't want to have to take this back again...

smitt

I've noticed mine doing that as well. But I have earlier model that they are selling now.

I have to play with it more when I get the time. I'm not sure if it was just the song I was playing or it can't be turned up. :/

Hugh

Smittay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
well i obsessed enough that i drove to work (yes im on vacation, well staycation) and tried out the speakers there.

they did in fact distort *some* - if you turned the system volume up and itunes volume up all the way or around 90% each

it didn't distort anywhere near the level my new home imac did when it was up all the way and on 90% ... what gives?

i mean my home speakers and itunes volumes distort after 70% volume up?

i check my system profiler at work and at home and this is what i got for audio:

work imac (purchased summer 2007):
Intel High Definition Audio
Device ID: 0X106B00A0
Audio ID: 50

home imac (purchased november 2008):
Intel High Definition Audio
Device ID: 0X106B00A0
Audio ID: 62

does that mean there are *newer* speakers in my new imac (ie. audio id 62)?
i was glad to see it wasn't the same audio ID (ie 50 and 50).

any ideas guys?
smitt

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway

What brand of cables are you using to attach your iMac to your JBL speakers? I have my Mac Mini attached to my old Style TV via S-Video and a headphone to left/right cable.

I use to just have the cheap low end cables, however I would have distortion and lines would show up on the screen, which drove me crazy. I went and bought some nice philips cables, which was like 30 bucks, and it fixed all my problems. Cables can make a huge difference in sound and picture quality.

-iGrant

Smittay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
What brand of cables are you using to attach your iMac to your JBL speakers? I have my Mac Mini attached to my old Style TV via S-Video and a headphone to left/right cable.

I use to just have the cheap low end cables, however I would have distortion and lines would show up on the screen, which drove me crazy. I went and bought some nice philips cables, which was like 30 bucks, and it fixed all my problems. Cables can make a huge difference in sound and picture quality.

-iGrant

i dont think it has anything to do with my speaker cables, they sounded fine with my old imac

its the volume output --- its so loud that it warbles and distorts the imac's internal speakers and my own JBL's when connected.

my other imac's volume output was never this loud

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
i dont think it has anything to do with my speaker cables, they sounded fine with my old imac

its the volume output --- its so loud that it warbles and distorts the imac's internal speakers and my own JBL's when connected.

my other imac's volume output was never this loud
I should have explained this, I had a Power Mac G5 doing this before I got my Mac Mini, and my G5 worked great with the cheap cables but not the Mac Mini.

I just shooting in the dark here. My dad has a new iMac, bought it a few months ago like 3 maybe, but I have never used it in depth.

-iGrant

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.