PDA

View Full Version : Jay Leno staying on NBC in prime time

MacNut
Dec 9, 2008, 05:27 PM
NEW YORK (AP) — Jay Leno is staying at NBC, and he's moving to prime time.

The network announced Tuesday that Leno will host a show five nights a week at 10 p.m. Eastern, after he leaves the "Tonight" show next year. The network had announced nearly five years ago that Conan O'Brien would move to "Tonight" and succeed Leno.

The deal not only prevents Leno from moving to another network and competing with O'Brien, it also has the potential to be a big cost savings for NBC. A talk show is considerably cheaper to produce than the dramas that usually air at 10 p.m. Eastern.

Leno could now deliver his nightly monologue and sketches to more viewers. Generally about 50 percent more people are watching TV at 10 p.m. than at 11:30 p.m.

Dramas used to be a mainstay of network schedules, and NBC's own history at the time slot includes "ER," "Hill Street Blues," "Law & Order" and "L.A. Law."

Yet dramas have been fading in recent years. One reason is digital video recorders; more people are watching shows they taped earlier than the live 10 p.m. shows.

Ten years ago, "ER" was the top-rated show in television, with an average of 25.4 million viewers. This season, its last, "ER" is averaging 9.9 million viewers and is ranked No. 33 in prime time.

Besides "ER," NBC this season airs "Law & Order" and its "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" spinoff in the 10 p.m. time slot — both shows that could easily move to an earlier hour. "My Own Worst Enemy" and "Lipstick Jungle," shows in the 10 p.m. hour on Monday and Friday, have already been canceled.

NBC had said last summer that Leno's last "Tonight" show would be on Friday, May 29, and that O'Brien would take over the following Monday, June 1.

Jimmy Fallon is taking over the 12:30 a.m. time slot that O'Brien is vacating.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jW-W2y92RfMXilbBa6TWdMxa0mOgD94VBO8O1

iJohnHenry
Dec 9, 2008, 05:29 PM
Jimmy Fallon? OMG!!!

rdowns
Dec 9, 2008, 05:29 PM
Zucker was quoted as saying last week that NBC may cut back the number of hours it programs in an effort to save money. This seems like a perfect solution for him but I bet it ends up hurting their late night shows.

MacNut
Dec 9, 2008, 05:30 PM
Jimmy Fallon? OMG!!!Ya, where have you been.:p

iJohnHenry
Dec 9, 2008, 05:31 PM
Sorry, but Jimmy's talents seem a little "thin" IMO.

Craig Ferguson will have him for lunch.

MacNut
Dec 9, 2008, 05:34 PM
Sorry, but Jimmy's talents seem a little "thin" IMO.

Craig Ferguson will have him for lunch.I agree that it will help Ferguson. It will probably help Letterman too.

I am still unsure about Fallon holding a full hour.

It will be interesting to see how Conan's comedy will change to fit the 11:30 slot. Will he still be as edgy an hour earlier. Don't expect to see the masturbating bear as much.

iJohnHenry
Dec 9, 2008, 05:42 PM
Thank God for that.

Stunning that poor bear, when he is just trying to get-off, is animal cruelty.

And what about the dog with the cigar???

MacNut
Dec 9, 2008, 05:44 PM
http://timothyzhu.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/triumph01.jpg

themoonisdown09
Conan O'Brien has always been my favorite. I do like Jay Leno better than David Letterman.

synth3tik
I am sure glad I decided to let the digital TV revolution take place without me. I hate TV. Leno is not funny, Conan can be, with without Andy he has suffered. Don't even get me started with Carson and Jimmy.:rolleyes:

rdowns
Dec 9, 2008, 05:48 PM
I am sure glad I decided to let the digital TV revolution take place without me. I hate TV. Leno is not funny, Conan can be, with without Andy he has suffered. Don't even get me started with Carson and Jimmy.:rolleyes:

Please tell me you are referring to Carson Daly and not Johnny Carson.

synth3tik
Dec 9, 2008, 05:49 PM

Yes, Daily. The douche of late night.

themoonisdown09

I hope so. I liked Johnny Carson.

iJohnHenry
I stopped watching Conan, regularly, when Andy left.

Such a loss.

GSMiller
Dec 9, 2008, 09:05 PM

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks so!

I'm glad he is staying on NBC, I never watch that station :)

zephead
Dec 9, 2008, 10:46 PM
Personally, I mostly like Leno over Letterman because he seems a lot more natural with his monologue and that a lot of Letterman's jokes seem to follow the same boring template: [he/she/it] was so [adjective] today/lately that [blankity blankity blank]. (pause for laughter, reuse template endlessly). For example, "it was so cold in New York today that Trump had to wear two wigs", and then "it was so cold that..." a couple more times until he does it with something else. I do like Great Moments in Presidential Speeches, though.

Oh and btw, Ferguson > all. :D

iAlan
Dec 10, 2008, 12:46 AM
Question: Can NBC fill 3 talk shows back-to-back? I don't think so. I would put Leno on a couple of nights a week to keep value in him and the other talk shows.

Also a bit of a kick in the teeth for O'Brien as Leno will most probably get the best pick of guests. Are they both being made out of the same city?

All things considered, I hope the other networks have some kick-ass programs to counter the talk shows.

dmr727
Dec 10, 2008, 01:00 AM
I like Leno over Letterman too.

I'm kind of biased - I've chauffeured Leno a few times over the years. What's always impressed me is that he never had the entourage. Just him sitting in the back with a newspaper. And if he was running late, he'd call me and let me know. To a peon like me, that's pretty cool.

That said, I like Conan more than either. Triumph cracks me up. :)

drichards
Dec 10, 2008, 01:06 AM
Leno rules.

rdowns
Dec 10, 2008, 06:26 AM
Question: Can NBC fill 3 talk shows back-to-back? I don't think so. I would put Leno on a couple of nights a week to keep value in him and the other talk shows.

Also a bit of a kick in the teeth for O'Brien as Leno will most probably get the best pick of guests. Are they both being made out of the same city?

All things considered, I hope the other networks have some kick-ass programs to counter the talk shows.

O'Brien is getting hosed here with respect to guests. If you have a book/movie/whatever to push, where would you go? Obviously to the show with more viewers, which of course, will be a 10pm show.

Good luck on quality counter programming. I'd bet CBS and ABC follow suit with some kind of inexpensive, stripped programming.

I like Leno over Letterman too.

I'm kind of biased - I've chauffeured Leno a few times over the years. What's always impressed me is that he never had the entourage. Just him sitting in the back with a newspaper. And if he was running late, he'd call me and let me know. To a peon like me, that's pretty cool.

That said, I like Conan more than either. Triumph cracks me up. :)

Leno is a very down-to-earth guy. I first "met" him on a California freeway. He was driving an exotic car and we pulled up next to him and talked. He invited us to come see him on the Tonight Show that night. He was Carson's permanent guest host in those days. Gave us the royal treatment.

He brought his show to NY once and I was able to get tickets. Also got tickets on another trip out to Calif.

mcnicks
Dec 10, 2008, 07:13 AM
I am not sure that I understand American television but, could they not just move the Late Show an hour earlier?

NoSmokingBandit
Dec 10, 2008, 07:26 AM
^^The Late show has been going on for many many years with several hosts, its just tradition to move people around.

Im happy for Jay, he's really good at what he does and NBC would be stupid to get rid of him.

jaw04005
Dec 10, 2008, 07:36 AM
So anyone watch Conan last night? He, of course, made a joke of the whole thing.

He also mentioned that he knew about this for awhile and him and Jay had met several times to discuss it.

Abstract
Dec 10, 2008, 08:15 AM
Who cares if it costs less to produce a talk show for the 10 PM crowd. In some countries, it's the talkshow-esque shows that are most interesting to me.

It's a bit like Japanese programming, where you can have a talkshow and game-show at the same time. I have no idea what they're saying, but it's obvious what they're talking about when they have 3 guys trying to play hop-scotch up a 45 degree include......while wearing bug costumes. :p

iJohnHenry
Dec 10, 2008, 08:29 AM

Good question.

I would leave Conan in NYC, if I had a choice. The NY crowd might help him retain the "edge" that LA might obliterate.

NoSmokingBandit
Dec 10, 2008, 02:30 PM
Good question.

I would leave Conan in NYC, if I had a choice. The NY crowd might help him retain the "edge" that LA might obliterate.

I would leave Conan in NYC just so he keeps Max and the band. Conan did, however, buy a house in california a few weeks ago so im pretty sure he is moving.

MacNut
Dec 10, 2008, 03:01 PM
I would leave Conan in NYC just so he keeps Max and the band. Conan did, however, buy a house in california a few weeks ago so im pretty sure he is moving.NBC is building a brand new studio on the Universal backlot.

Max is supposedly moving west as well.

drichards
Dec 10, 2008, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Leno's new show was from his garage. There's plenty of space in that museum for a proper soundstage and audience seating.

Thomas Veil
Dec 10, 2008, 05:53 PM
I may be alone here in preferring Letterman to Leno -- I like Letterman's quirkiness and Leno's style just seems stuck in the previous decade to me -- but I do think this is an idiotic move on NBC's part.

Not because I think Leno's bad; he isn't. It's just that this smacks of gutting out the 10 o'clock hour. What, exactly, is the whole point of changing anything? Why not just keep Leno at 11:35 and Conan at 12:35?

There really is no point...unless you consider the fact that replacing hour dramas with yet another talk show at 10 o'clock is just plain cheaper for NBC. That is the sole and only reason they are doing this.

And that, to me, is just one more step in ghettoizing prime time. It was bad enough when worthless reality shows started taking over so much of the schedule. It got worse when the ads proliferated so much that they started not only running during the credits, but running up and down the screen during the shows as well.

And now this. How much longer until NBC figures out that it can run 30-minute infomercials for Toyotas even cheaper than it can run Leno's show?

Dramas have been moving to the cable channels for a long time. In a way that's good. They might as well go where they're appreciated. The only problem I have with that is, there haven't been too many cable/syndicated dramas that have really enticed me. Would TNT or TBS have produced a Jericho? I have my doubts.

Not that there aren't some decent cable-made dramatic shows. But the last off-network, original show that really got me hooked was Babylon 5. And how long ago was that??

MacNut
Dec 10, 2008, 09:10 PM
Leno can't stay as the host of The Tonight Show because they signed Conan to that spot. If they break contract they have to pay off Conan. The reason dramas are going to cable is because they can be more risky. Network is still considered "family friendly". I agree that Letterman is better. NBC really doesn't have a choice. They either let Conan go to another network or let Leno walk.

rdowns
Dec 10, 2008, 09:19 PM
If NBC didn't do this, it is likely they would have dropped a night of programming. Can you imagine the crap local stations would have run?

I don't watch any network dramas except Prison Break (which I'm close to dropping). I Tivo several cable ones.

MacNut
Dec 10, 2008, 09:46 PM
Why don't they just bring back old shows that people liked. They were better written and I'm sure people would rather watch the classic shows.

Abstract
Dec 11, 2008, 01:15 AM
Leno can't stay as the host of The Tonight Show because they signed Conan to that spot. If they break contract they have to pay off Conan. The reason dramas are going to cable is because they can be more risky. Network is still considered "family friendly". I agree that Letterman is better. NBC really doesn't have a choice. They either let Conan go to another network or let Leno walk.

But I'm sure Conan could probably argue to his lawyer that what he was essentially promised was the primetime latenight talk-show host position at NBC, which has historically started at 11:30 PM. He wasn't promised the 11:30 PM timeslot by NBC. He was promised the "big" job, and NBC didn't live up to expectation if they're giving Leno a 10:30 PM slot. Essentially, Conan was deceived, IMO.

MacNut
Dec 11, 2008, 01:26 AM
Conan was promised "The Tonight Show" and that is the 11:35 time slot.

Abstract
Dec 11, 2008, 01:32 AM
Yes, but it was always intended to be the prime-time talkshow timeslot. If he signed the contract believing that he was going to be NBC's premier talkshow host, rather than remain behind Leno, he may have a case. Sure, he has "The Tonight Show", but what that should actually represent is what's important, not the name of the show, or the actual time-slot.

Thomas Veil
Dec 11, 2008, 07:22 AM
I agree, Abstract, that this is kind of a slap in the face to, as well as a violation of the intent of the agreement with, Conan.

Why don't they just bring back old shows that people liked. They were better written and I'm sure people would rather watch the classic shows.Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Bionic Woman, despite good reviews, didn't work out. However, I do recall that a few years back during the previous writers' strike, ABC tried a revamped version of Mission: Impossible, and it actually got decent ratings.

And MacNut, while it's true a lot of the edgier dramas are on cable, remember that Twin Peaks resided on ABC, and that was about as weird as it gets.

MattG
Dec 11, 2008, 07:58 AM
Leno is awful.

That being said, it's big of Conan that he's taking it in stride.
http://gawker.com/5106465/conan-still-much-funnier-than-leno?autoplay=true

rdowns
Dec 11, 2008, 07:59 AM
remember that Twin Peaks resided on ABC, and that was about as weird as it gets.

That was nearly 20 years ago. What have you done for me lately?

MacNut
Dec 11, 2008, 12:39 PM
Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Bionic Woman, despite good reviews, didn't work out. However, I do recall that a few years back during the previous writers' strike, ABC tried a revamped version of Mission: Impossible, and it actually got decent ratings.I don't mean remakes, I want them to bring back the actual original shows.

And MacNut, while it's true a lot of the edgier dramas are on cable, remember that Twin Peaks resided on ABC, and that was about as weird as it gets.How violent was Twin Peaks. Look at shows like The Shield, that is a violent show. It would never make it on network.

Fringe is a show that is weird and is on Fox.

Thomas Veil
Dec 13, 2008, 05:45 PM
I guess it varies depending on whether you're talking about language, violence or weirdness. I still remember being shocked by early episodes of Heroes in which we saw the cheerleader with her insides opened up or other characters with the tops of their heads lopped off and their brains scooped out. I was shocked because it was on NBC, not TNT or something. But the networks will be pickier about things like language. Go figure.

As for bringing back the actual old shows...that's asking a lot, considering a lot of shows are already on TV Land, American Life, etc. You'd either be depending on the audience that's too cheap (or can't afford) to pay for cable, or you'd have to come up with shows that don't appear on-air at all anymore. I admit I can think of quite a few: The Prisoner, Babylon 5, Nowhere Man, Ellery Queen, Mike Hammer, Mannix, Night Gallery....

OTOH, I have no desire to see ABC butcher Nowhere Man with animated bugs, squashed credits and material edited out to allow for extra commercials.