Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
I don't think so, I know you can put it in sleep. If think their is a command to shut it down.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I don't think so, I know you can put it in sleep. If think their is a command to shut it down.

I think there's a way, but it's only stuff that sixth-year Hogwarts students learn. With Apple pushing all this green stuff, it would be nice to be able to totally power off something that most of us use quite rarely. I guess I could use it to cook eggs at times, but I'd rather it just turn off.

V8Avant

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
It is possible to turn off the Apple TV

Go to the main menu (where you can select movies, music, youtube, etc.)

Then simply hold down the Play/Pause button until you see the little white light go off. Your screen will also go black. Your Apple TV is now shut off.

Cheers.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Go to the main menu (where you can select movies, music, youtube, etc.)

Then simply hold down the Play/Pause button until you see the little white light go off. Your screen will also go black. Your Apple TV is now shut off.

Cheers.

Not anymore.

Since they introduced the Genius feature among other stuff in version 2.3, you have to go to Settings then Stand By.

I just unplug mine when I'm not using it.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Not anymore.

Since they introduced the Genius feature among other stuff in version 2.3, you have to go to Settings then Stand By.

i can still turn my atv off with the remote after 2.3.

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Not anymore.

Nope. That's incorrect. You used to be able to turn it off on any screen. Now you must be the main menu screen. From there you can turn it off as before.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Nope. That's incorrect. You used to be able to turn it off on any screen. Now you must be the main menu screen. From there you can turn it off as before.

Ah, wasn't aware you could just turn it off from the main menu by holding play. I usually just hold play after finished watching something, and that obviously doesn't work anymore.

OldGuyDave

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
Well actually without wanting to split hairs but it only goes into standby, there is no "hard off switch". Which I think sucks. So I turn mine off at the power point on the wall. I haven't tried measuring what power it sucks when in standby, but it's still too warm even in standby for my liking. :mad:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Well actually without wanting to split hairs but it only goes into standby, there is no "hard off switch". Which I think sucks. So I turn mine off at the power point on the wall. I haven't tried measuring what power it sucks when in standby, but it's still too warm even in standby for my liking. :mad:

It'll still sync with iTunes even when on standby, so I'd guess it'll consume the same amount as if it was in use.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I have this problem also. Anyone know if there is a specific reason for it or is it a glitch?

I can't say that this is the only reason, but I do know that my DVR remote will sometimes turn on my ATV if I click certain unmapped buttons. At other times, however, the thing will go on even if I am not touching the DVR remote at all and the synced computer isn't even on.

Another user posted some ATV power consumption numbers a while ago and found that it uses 17 Watts of power when in standby, 20 when on but not playing any files, and 22 when playing a streamed HD trailer. That standby power consumption is way too high. Damn vampire devices.

eleven59

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Quite the opposite - it turns itself ON after long periods of non-use.

Infuriating :mad:

here here!! thats what mine does, ill wake up or get home from work and notice the little light is on! like it was having a party without me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.