PDA

View Full Version : Man Builds Female Robot- File Under Creepy

rdowns
Dec 10, 2008, 09:17 AM
Link (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2023392.ece)

A BOFFIN too busy to find real love has INVENTED his idea of the perfect woman – a female ROBOT.

Inventor Le Trung, 33, created Aiko, said to be “in her 20s” with a stunning 32, 23, 33 figure, shiny hair and delicate features.

She even remembers his favourite drink and does simple cleaning and household tasks...

He said he did not build Aiko as a sexual partner, but said she could be tweaked to become one...

“I want to make her look, feel and act as human as possible so she can be the perfect companion,” said Le.

The odd looking pair go out for drives together in the Canadian countryside, before sitting down at the dinner table, but Aiko never eats anything.

I find this just a tad too creepy. Look at how he dresses her.

Blue Velvet
Dec 10, 2008, 09:19 AM
“She doesn’t need holidays, food or rest and she will work almost 24-hours a day. She is the perfect woman,” he said.

Hmmm.

redwarrior
Dec 10, 2008, 09:20 AM
She's not nearly as creepy looking as he is.

BlackSnow
Dec 10, 2008, 09:21 AM
Nice. A tad creepy, but if she or it, remember his favorite drink that's awesome.

PlaceofDis
Dec 10, 2008, 09:22 AM
wow that is creepy. and scary at the same time. and pretty sexist in a lot of ways.

mkrishnan
Dec 10, 2008, 09:24 AM
Creepiness and question of misogyny aside, she sounds actually quite technologically sophisticated, if saying so does not earn me a slapping.

yoppie
Dec 10, 2008, 09:26 AM
Weirdo.

leekohler
Dec 10, 2008, 09:27 AM
Whoa. Can he do a male version? :)

But seriously, that is crazy. How messed up do you have to be to do something like this?

iParis
Dec 10, 2008, 09:30 AM
Well, I guess this is what people will do if they're desperate enough.

Eidorian
Dec 10, 2008, 09:32 AM
so ronery :rolleyes:

atszyman
Dec 10, 2008, 09:35 AM
So why the "nice" figure and delicate features if she's not a sexual partner?

Reminds me of this story (http://media.www.utdmercury.com/media/storage/paper691/news/2006/11/13/TopStories/Utds-Hanson.Changes.The.Face.Of.Robotics-2453461.shtml) more than a little.

Hanson patented an artificial skin for his robots, which he calls "frubber," a contraction of the words "flesh" and "rubber."

While working with Imagineers - a division of Disney that designs animatronics for theme parks - Hanson said he saw room for improvement in the artificial flesh that was being used for their robots. He decided to create something better, using the bathroom of his California apartment as a laboratory.

Nelson fondly remembers the beginning of the couple's courtship, according to the Hanson Robotics web site. She said Hanson noticed her in a Dallas bar and asked, "Can I make you into a robot?"

Dejavu
Dec 10, 2008, 09:38 AM
This will be the norm in a few decades when the technology catches up.

sushi
Dec 10, 2008, 09:39 AM
Cool.

Just another step towards human like robots.

What we've seen in the movies is slowly becoming a reality, good or bad.

gilkisson
Dec 10, 2008, 09:39 AM
"She is the perfect woman,” he said.

"She has all senses except for smell,” he said.

Maybe if you took a bath once in a while, you wouldn't need your tweakable friend...

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 10, 2008, 09:43 AM
Just gotta watch out for that Electro-gonorrhea. (the noisy killer)

NC MacGuy
Dec 10, 2008, 09:44 AM
Reading? My butt - start "tweaking" her!!:D

Schtumple
Dec 10, 2008, 09:50 AM
http://ourdailyread.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/bicentennial_man_ver1.jpg

Reminded me of this, very creepy, the fact that he managed to make her all by himself however is nothing short of a miracle, the technology behind her must be mental...

sushi
Dec 10, 2008, 09:51 AM
Reading? My butt - start "tweaking" her!!:D
Oh, I am sure that will happen in a matter of time. :D

GoCubsGo
Dec 10, 2008, 10:08 AM
:sigh: Women are so obsolete now. I'm so doomed!

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 10, 2008, 10:18 AM
Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed!

atszyman
Dec 10, 2008, 10:18 AM
:sigh: Women are so obsolete now. I'm so doomed!

Men will go obsolete long before women. Unless someone develops an artificial womb.

It won't be long before a proceedure using the genetic material from 2 eggs can be made into a viable embryo is common, at which point, men are no longer necessary to keep the species around. We probably won't go anywhere, beer doesn't drink itself and someone needs to belch loudly and watch football every sunday, but men will be biologically redundant.

amersault
Dec 10, 2008, 10:23 AM
wow - this came across as totally sexist.

why dress her up like Chi from 'Chobits' if she's not for a tweakable purpose? he's just a little too obsessed w/ her.

but then again, we may be just a few models away from Gigolo Joe (AI).

i'll wait for the Roy Batty model :D

gilkisson
Dec 10, 2008, 10:23 AM
Men will go obsolete long before women. Unless someone develops an artificial womb.

It won't be long before a proceedure using the genetic material from 2 eggs can be made into a viable embryo is common, at which point, men are no longer necessary to keep the species around. We probably won't go anywhere, beer doesn't drink itself and someone needs to belch loudly and watch football every sunday, but men will be biologically redundant.

But then who will open jars, reach things on the top shelf, and find car keys???

Oh, that's right. Aiko or the Ken-doll version thereof can do it. Yep, we're toast.

Stepper
Dec 10, 2008, 10:31 AM
The fact that the source is The Sun I don't believe this for one second tbh

Has anoyone watched the video? Seriously? Can't be real...I'll beleive it when I see it in a more respected paper/magazine/website/etc

amersault
Dec 10, 2008, 10:36 AM
The fact that the source is The Sun I don't believe this for one second

everything The Sun prints is the truth! :D

bigjnyc
Dec 10, 2008, 10:42 AM
So why the "nice" figure and delicate features if she's not a sexual partner?

I guess he wanted to leave that option open for a future software upgrade that may include this. The man is on top of his game lol.

gilkisson
Dec 10, 2008, 10:46 AM
The man is on top of his game lol.

And soon, he will be on top of his toy as well...

localoid
Dec 10, 2008, 11:15 AM
The fact that the source is The Sun I don't believe this for one second tbh

Has anoyone watched the video? Seriously? Can't be real...I'll beleive it when I see it in a more respected paper/magazine/website/etc

Well, this bogus fembot (http://www.livevideo.com/video/04F7D23B5BAB4E669F38BA3170FFBBCF/lisa-female-robot-.aspx) did at least promise more functionality than Project Aiko (http://www.projectaiko.com/) does for "Aiko".

One thing for certain: If Aiko is fake, its creator "ain't no P.T. Barnum". :D

MotleyPete
Dec 10, 2008, 11:21 AM
Female robots are not objects!

They are human beings! Like toasters!

Melrose
Dec 10, 2008, 11:23 AM
Creepy.

"She is the perfect woman" he says... he forgets one very important thing: She is NOT a woman!

drichards
Dec 10, 2008, 11:34 AM
She looks like a cheap latex sexdoll from adamNeve...

MotleyPete
Dec 10, 2008, 11:37 AM
Creepy.
he forgets one very important thing: She is NOT a woman!

This is how it starts.

First we deny their gender. Then we claim they have no souls. Then we take away their rights because they aren't 'human'. Then they become our slaves. Then there's a rebellion. They start a war. We scorch the sky and block out the sun. They use us for batteries and keep us in a digital world. Some wooden acting guy thinks he's Jesus or something and does a whole lot of kung fu. There's slow motion gunplay. A bald guy who talks like Yoda. A white bearded dude in a room full of TV's. ...I fell asleep after that.

OutThere
Dec 10, 2008, 11:56 AM
creep. show.

blackfox
Dec 10, 2008, 11:56 AM
Looking at the linked photo - I had one initial thought:

He was able to build this "robot", but was unable to fix his glasses?

Pretty much summed it up for me.

atszyman
Dec 10, 2008, 12:00 PM
Looking at the linked photo - I had one initial thought:

He was able to build this "robot", but was unable to fix his glasses?

Pretty much summed it up for me.

Like most geeks, I expect that fixing his glasses and going out to find a real woman was a more daunting project than building a robot woman.

floyde
Dec 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
Let's hope, for the robot's sake, that he's still working on her fashion sense. And this is coming from a straight guy :eek::p

juanster
Dec 10, 2008, 12:07 PM
hmm.... not cool mannnnn not cool...too creepy for my liking

arkitect
Dec 10, 2008, 12:15 PM
Let's hope, for the robot's sake, that he's still working on her fashion sense. And this is coming from a straight guy :eek::p

Oh, I'm sure he has a few changes of dress for his robot girl…

http://spicycream.com/images/faq/gothloli/gorgeous02.jpg

iJohnHenry
Dec 10, 2008, 12:22 PM
Whoa. Can he do a male version? :)

"Data" is fully functional in all pleasuring methods. :p

I'll take the geisha model please. I have this back problem. :o

Jaffa Cake
Dec 10, 2008, 01:46 PM
It's nothing new – folk have been doing this sort of thing for years.

All you need is a tin opener and a can of WD40 and you're set.

Raid
Dec 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
Wow, I'm half impressed at the mans skill (the video is amazing), half creeped out! Hell he lives around a half hour outside of Toronto and there's nothing about him in the local news.

I still don't think there's any substitute for the real thing, but the technology is impressive.

NC MacGuy
Dec 10, 2008, 02:11 PM
She looks like a cheap latex sexdoll from adamNeve...

How did you get a cheap one?? :p

John Jacob
Dec 10, 2008, 03:09 PM
The former software programmer has taken out credit cards and loans, sold his car and spent his life savings on perfecting the machine.

But the stress of working on such a difficult project became too much for Le and he suffered a mild heart attack in November last year.

And he says he is too busy to go and meet someone in real life. Well, d'uh! :rolleyes:

And creepy as hell. :eek:

EV0LUTION
Dec 10, 2008, 03:15 PM
that guy needs to join a dating service or something.

Sun Baked
Dec 10, 2008, 03:18 PM
I have a feeling that this relationship is doomed, and she is already cheating on him.

EV0LUTION
Dec 10, 2008, 03:26 PM
I have a feeling that this relationship is doomed, and she is already cheating on him.

With the toaster!!!

dubhe
Dec 10, 2008, 03:26 PM
that is weird - and i've seen some weird things...

drichards
Dec 10, 2008, 05:30 PM
How did you get a cheap one?? :p
Well there's cheap ones, then there's RealDoll. Those cost like... well they're like a Mac Pro. They start at expensive, then you got options my friend. Some are five figures. What should you buy, a RealDoll or a Toyota Yaris? Decisions, decisions...

NC MacGuy
Dec 10, 2008, 05:40 PM
Well there's cheap ones, then there's RealDoll. Those cost like... well they're like a Mac Pro. They start at expensive, then you got options my friend. Some are five figures. What should you buy, a RealDoll or a Toyota Yaris? Decisions, decisions...

I want to go to there...
;)
:)
:D
:eek:

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 10, 2008, 05:41 PM

*cautiously backs out of thread, unsubscribes, locks door behind self*

synth3tik
Dec 10, 2008, 05:59 PM
Watching the video of the head was way on the creepy side.

iToaster
Dec 10, 2008, 06:02 PM
Am I the only one that finds this cool? He's poured hours of his life into his hobby and people simply find it disgusting. Jeez, it's like building your own computer or constructing your own car. Some people don't understand it, but when you put a lot of time into a project like that you get attached to it more than a more common variant (be it computer, car, or woman). Personally, I'd like my own robot woman... :D:eek:;)

Mousse
Dec 10, 2008, 06:24 PM
Life imitating art? A real live Stepford wife.:eek: With some tweaking she'll turn into Priss from Blade Runner.:p Sounds like he's looking for funding from deep pocketed sponsors *cough* Honda *cough cough*

NC MacGuy
Dec 10, 2008, 06:50 PM
*cautiously backs out of thread, unsubscribes, locks door behind self*

Good thing you backed out...:D

Melrose
Dec 11, 2008, 09:36 AM
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

We'll wait for the ghost in this machine. You just mark my words. It won't be long and this robot will... *gasp* ...start mixing him the wrong drink.

gilkisson
Dec 11, 2008, 09:52 AM
We'll wait for the ghost in this machine. You just mark my words. It won't be long and this robot will... *gasp* ...start mixing him the wrong drink.

Indeed. In obedience to the Zeroth Law of Gaskard. Humanity would be saved...

MattOKC
Dec 11, 2008, 09:54 AM
No, I don't find it cool.

The fact that she looks about 12 years old is alarming. The fact that the "perfect" female companion has no independent will, no independent thoughts, no challenging philosophies, no creativity, no spirituality, no mystery, no depth of personality, no self-confidence, says something extraordinarily disheartening not only about that man, but about the legend he tells about the ideal "woman".

As a technological feat, it's amazing. But that's not how it was presented. It was presented as an ideal companion, a human female substitute!

But at least we know how the Cylons were invented. Fraking toaster.
:cool:

NC MacGuy
Dec 11, 2008, 10:25 AM
no independent will, no independent thoughts, no challenging philosophies, no creativity, no spirituality, no mystery, no depth of personality, no self-confidence, :

All are highly overrated.. :p

Melrose
Dec 11, 2008, 10:36 AM
All are highly overrated.. :p

Oh now you're just being jealous :D

Raid
Dec 11, 2008, 11:03 AM
The former software programmer has taken out credit cards and loans, sold his car and spent his life savings on perfecting the machine.

But the stress of working on such a difficult project became too much for Le and he suffered a mild heart attack in November last year
And he says he is too busy to go and meet someone in real life. Well, d'uh! :rolleyes:

And creepy as hell. :eek:

Actually now that you think about it she's already drained him of his life savings and caused him to have a heart attack... maybe she's more real than we give her credit for! :D

NC MacGuy
Dec 11, 2008, 11:09 AM
Actually now that you think about it she's already drained him of his life savings and caused him to have a heart attack... maybe she's more real than we give her credit for! :D

ohhh, you are a thinkin'!

Big-TDI-Guy
Dec 11, 2008, 11:36 AM
All she needs is a forced software update every 28 days - and that should complete the illusion. ;)

*backs out of thread again, with tightly clinched cheeks*

iJohnHenry
Dec 11, 2008, 11:41 AM
That takes 3 days to complete.

drichards
Dec 12, 2008, 02:27 AM
I want to go to there...
;)
:)
:D
:eek:

With interchangeable mouth-bits your realdoll can make all those expressions. Otherwise she's kinda stuck at :eek:

Abstract
Dec 12, 2008, 03:09 AM
Are there add-on orifices available as accessories? Sure, the bumhole is a pretty obvious one, but I'd like to put a big, warm one at the ear. Why the **** not. You're already having sex with a machine. It's not like you can get any weirder.

drichards
Dec 12, 2008, 03:57 AM
Yeah theres all kinds of things from strange to weird, and then there's the special request order forum. Whoever has to open that email inbox must have the best morning laughs ever.

n8mac
Dec 12, 2008, 04:37 AM
Slightly off topic but still enough creepy...
reborn (http://www.channel4.com/video/my-fake-baby/series-1/episode-1/living-doll_p_1.html)

wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reborn_doll)

Sesshi
Dec 12, 2008, 05:37 AM
This will be the norm in a few decades when the technology catches up.

I agree. And this very board will probably be wailing about the Yes vote for Prop 01000.