PDA

View Full Version : CDs stuck in SuperDrive

Nermal
Feb 21, 2004, 05:51 PM
I added a Pioneer 106 SuperDrive to my system yesterday, and I've found a problem. I can put CDs and DVDs in, and they're fine. I eject them, also fine. The problem seems to be if I put a CD in then leave it in there for quite a while. Then when I try to eject, the icon disappears from the desktop, but the CD doesn't eject. This has happened twice so far, and I've had to reboot the system to get them out. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Edit: I've got a 1.25 GHz MDD G4 running 10.3.2.

LimeiBook86
Feb 22, 2004, 03:32 AM
Well I have a Pioneer A05 and in Mac OS 9 it does what your saying but, under Mac OS X it is fine for me. When you leave it in there for a long time does your Mac go to sleep? Maybe it's losing connection witht the drive somehow. Check the manufacture's site for firmware updates...

hope I helped...:D

Counterfit
Feb 22, 2004, 04:06 AM
You need a paperclip :rolleyes:

elmimmo
Feb 22, 2004, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Nermal
I've had to reboot the system to get them out.I have no idea what is causing it, but whenever it happens again, instead of rebooting you might try launching Toast, going to the duplicate CD section and click on Eject. To me, it works when something similar to what you described happens and the eject key on the keyboard does not do its work.

Also, you might want to try some Unix methods that you might find in macosxhints.com (use the search feature).

Nermal
Feb 22, 2004, 03:08 PM
No, my Mac's not going to sleep, but I think the problem only occurs once the drive has spun down. And I think I have the latest firmware (1.07).

I'll try using Toast next time, and see what happens.

IndyGopher
Feb 22, 2004, 03:24 PM
I had the same problem in my MDD 1.25GHz after I put a retail Pioneer 106D in the lower drive bay. The problem went away after turning off the 'Allow drives to sleep when possible' checkbox in the Energy Saver control panel, but I don't know if that was what actually fixed it, since I repaired permissions at the same time and it corrected a permissions problem with CDFS.

Nermal
Feb 22, 2004, 11:01 PM
I don't have that option, I only have "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible", would this still apply to the SuperDrive?

Counterfit
Feb 23, 2004, 01:37 AM
Isn't there a tiny little hole for you to stick a paperclip in? :confused: I thought all drives had that...

Nermal
Feb 23, 2004, 02:28 AM
Yeah there is, but you're not supposed to use it when the computer's on, so if I have to shut down, I might as well just reboot :rolleyes:

Edit: And the drive mirror door thingy's in the way.

Counterfit
Feb 23, 2004, 02:32 AM
Not supposed to use it when the computer is on? Kind of defeats the purpose then. Where did you hear that?

Oh, and it seems the drive in my PB doesn't have one of those holes. Not that I've found anyway.

Nermal
Feb 23, 2004, 02:50 AM
The whole point of the "emergency eject hole" is just that, it's for an emergency. If you're using it when the computer's on, then you're probably not having an emergency :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've seen it written in the printed instructions with many different drives I've bought over the years. Once my brother's drive decided to start spinning at an incredible rate, so he stuck a paperclip in without turning the computer off. It proceeded to squirt grease at him :eek:

Counterfit
Feb 23, 2004, 02:52 PM
Well, that's what he gets for doing it at speed :p