Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I've got the Griffin Clarifi today from the Apple's black friday offer. It sits tight and seamless and works (close-up lens) as announced. All the buttons are easy to switch. I was afraid that sliding in the iPhone will hurt the chrome bezel but the material inwards seems to be soft enough.

iP_griffin_clarifi_01.jpg

iP_griffin_clarifi_02.jpg

iP_griffin_clarifi_03.jpg

iP_griffin_clarifi_04.jpg

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Sure. Left without Clarifi, right with. Camera held freehands above the MBP's trackpad. No lights aside from the keyboard effect. Klick on the tumbnails for original size. Completely raw.

Attachments

• iP_withoutClarifi.JPG
    iP_withoutClarifi.JPG
    449.2 KB · Views: 230
  • iP_withClarifi.JPG
    iP_withClarifi.JPG
    448.9 KB · Views: 258

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Another two examples of the stunning capabilities of the Clarifi's close-up lens. I've put a glass plate on the objects to keep them even so there may be some reflections. Lit with an ordinary desktop lamp. iPhone camera stabilized. Distance to the objects about 4 inches or 10 centimeters.

The first example is the extremely small printed brochure "iPhone 3G - Important Product Informations" that comes shipped with the device. Again: Click on the thumbnails for the original size.

Attachments

• iP_withoutClarifi_02.jpg
    iP_withoutClarifi_02.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 274
  • iP_withClarifi_02.jpg
    iP_withClarifi_02.jpg
    675.2 KB · Views: 303
  • iP_withoutClarifi_03.jpg
    iP_withoutClarifi_03.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 184
  • iP_withClarifi_03.jpg
    iP_withClarifi_03.jpg
    746.1 KB · Views: 210

V8toytruck

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
As a photographer I must get this case,

How is the shiny back portion holding up? I have the Neo and as reported the back is scratched up like crazy

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
As a photographer I must get this case,

Yes. It's not only because of the close-up lens - the iPhone's built-in lens is way better protected (gets dirty and scratched easily)! All other cases keep the lens free for obvious reasons. Better is always having the lenses clean when you want to pull out as much as possible of that very tiny camera. My opinion is: For it's size the cam is very good!

How is the shiny back portion holding up? I have the Neo and as reported the back is scratched up like crazy

It is not resistant to scratches. It depends on how you are going to treat it. If you put it in a bag together with coins, keys or other hard and sharp material ==> bad (for the close-up lens too). But the main reason is for the iPhone's backside and the chrome bezel being protected. When the case will look really bad in two or three years I am considering buying a new one.

For those who want to protect the touchscreen too: The Clarifi case ships with a thin transparent skin to fit on.

billso

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
Honolulu, HI USA
Clarify + SkinIt = :(

I love my Clarify case, but the case is a really tight fit. Don't try to use this case if you have a SkinIt decal on your iPhone 3G. You'll struggle to slip the case on and off.

I may remove the close-up lens off the Clarify case and grafting it onto another case that resists scratches better.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I am SO tempted to give up my Capsule Neo for this case... I love the Neo, but to have the macro lens all the time would really allow me to use the camera much more often then I do.

So, fo those who own this... The main reason I stopped using the slider cases like this one, is the bottom portion never fit tight. It would slide off a bit, and I was always pushing it back on with my hand. How does it fit? Is the bottom removable docking portion tight?

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
...Is the bottom removable docking portion tight?

You'll never need the bottom portion alone but yes, it sits tight. There are parts (kind of lowered frame) that slide into the upper portion when you put them together for an even tighter fit. The whole thing becomes a bit softer with the time. There are no huge gaps and there is no possibility to open or lose it accidentally so far as I can judge after some weeks. When you want to open the case you have to pull rather strong the bottom portion first.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
My Clarifi case arrived yesterday, and after living with it for a day, I've played with it plenty. I never really cared for slider cases in the past, since I never used the dock, I really had no need for one. The bottom of those cases always fit too loose, and slipped off easily, so my excitement for the Clarifi was luke warm because of this. Also, I thought I had found my perfect case in the Switcheasy Capsule Neo, so giving that up was difficult.

My first attempt at putting on the Clarifi, DESTROYED my Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint screen protector. Luckily for me, I had another one to put on. So, after re-applying a new screen, I tried again. The key to this is to slide the top portion of the case VERY slowly, as when it gets to the top portion, where the seam is (Where the material changes from glossy plastic to matt) the matt part sticks into the bevel a bit more, and causes the screen protector to get caught. Right at that moment, you need to lift the edge of the case off the bevel a bit to get it over that bump. I know this might not make sense, but in from of you, you'll see what I mean. Then, slide it to the top, all the way on slowly, and then it was perfect.

The bottom half, I was careful to slide it on slowly as well, being careful not to pinch the screen protector either. My best advice, is if you have a screen protector, or plan to use the one that comes with the Clarifi, put it on as PERFECTLY straight and centered as humanly possible. It does make a difference as this case is tight to the bevel. After that, the bottom half snugly slides into place.

I wish the two halves "locked" into each other better then then do, but right now, it's very snug, and with a tiny pit of pulling on the bottom, it doesn't seem to come off easily, so for me, the more snug the better.

The fit is good, no big gaps at the seams at all. The look between the gloss and the matt finish is very nice, and reminds me a lot of the Capsule Neo in terms of a "classier" look. It completely covers the bevel, and leaves all the buttons and ports exposed. My ONLY complaint is I got used to the Neo covering most of the top of the phone, leaving only the headphone port exposed, and the rest was covered by the rubber sleeve it had under the hard shell. This leave the entire top and bottom exposed, including the sim card compartment. They could have closed that off a bit for my taste. A small complaint really. It does also add a TOUCh more bulk then the Neo, only to the front around the bevel.

Now, onto the actual allure of the case, the marco lens. In a pinch, it does exactly what it claims to, and as you can see from the above photos from the OP, it does a fine job. If you're looking for something that's with you all the time, for those unexpected times to snap a business card, or a close up of a photo, or text, this is perfect.

The optimal results happen when you hold the camera away from the item by about 6 to 8 inches. It clears up the shot, but doesn't magnify for a true "marco" shot.

If you want to get even closer shots with the iphone, I strongly suggest (on a recommendation from Alex) this 9 dollar solution, the 3 lens magnifier from RadioShack. I get much better results then with the clarifi...

pRS1C-2264853w345.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102638

All of this said, I REALLY like the Clarifi, and I do believe I'm going to keep it on my phone. This just may have replaced my Neo as my new favorite iPhone case, for its look, and a unique function. Even if I don't need the Clarifi lens, I can keep it closed to protect the actual camera lens. This is something no other case does at the moment, so it's a bit of added protection.

Also, those who own the Neo, and use the universal dock adapter it came with, good news, the Clarifi fits PERFECTLY into the Neo's adapter.

All in all, I rate it like this...

Of of 5...
Protection: 4
Style & Attractiveness: 4.5
Innovation: 5
Overall satisfaction: 4.5

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Agree with Daremo ... tough to beat the Radio Shack solution ... just check out all these amazing images >>> http://www.flickr.com/groups/424440@N23/pool/

But still, for convenience sake, the Clarifi is very tempting!! Thanks for the thorough review Daremo!!

You're welcome. :)

I tried something tonight. I used the lens on the Clarifi WITH the RadioShack magnifier, and believe it or not, it's fantastic. You can get even closer to the detail. I'll post some images tomorrow when I get some shots in better light.

KRAPPS

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
You're welcome. :)

I tried something tonight. I used the lens on the Clarifi WITH the RadioShack magnifier, and believe it or not, it's fantastic. You can get even closer to the detail. I'll post some images tomorrow when I get some shots in better light.

Good for you ... would love to check out your examples, yes, please post! ... really interested in the DOF appearance

ottoman1384

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
hey guys, i have the griffin clarifi and im willing to send to someone for the right price.

i love the thing but i like my phone naked. i used it for one day. so, i'm looking to sell it and buy bodyguardz....

just pm if you are interested.

threezero

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
guy just a heads up. this clarifi has been my favorite case for a month however i was lazy last 2 weeks and didn't take it out to clean it, I guess the combination of dust collected on the lens + pressing to hard when sliding the lens left a mark on my phone.

still love this case but i'm a little reluctant to put it back on after i took it off and my heart broke seeing that scatch

iPhAddict

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2009
wow! this looks really cool. I've gotta have one of this. It looks pretty sleek and modern. I hope its no too pricey. Well, whatever! I'll buy this one. Thanks for sharing the actual photos. Great help.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
I just put my case on the phone today and I LOVE it. It does NOT fit to tight but fits perfectly. Wasn't hE'd to get on or off and I am overall happy

My only complaint is the lens cover doesn't click into place so the lens is still exposed half of the time defeating the purpose of me buying it. I still really do like it.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
Anyone here who has this case and does a lot of networking, i suggest you get the CardSnap app.. It lets you take a picture of a business card and within a few hours, its automatically placed in your contacts app. I have gotten 3 business cards submitted and all returned with flawless information..

The app is $9.99 but still way cheaper than a card reader..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.