Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1990gsp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
I'm new to the ipod thing... Where's the best place for music downloads? I know itunes, but where else. Is there a unlimited download pay by the month place? I want something safe for my cpu too...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob Chadwick

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2008
I like Amazon. 256 bit rate with no DRM. The music is mine and I'm not locked into anything. Pricing is basically the same as ITunes.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
I vote for Amazon.. but I believe Best Buy and WalMart have stores as well.

Be careful where you download things. Make sure that they are full MP3's or files that are not locked in with DRM for a monthly price. Unless the DRM is from iTunes, they will not play on your iPod.

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Amazon gets my vote. It works great with iTunes. Just download a song and it will be added to your iTunes library making it ready for your iPod.

yawnyj

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Gig Harbor , Wa
This is in response to zune man. You do realize that borrowing cds from the library and putting them on your itunes is the same thing as stealing don't you?

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
i enjoy itunes if not then i go towards some japanese site that sells both american and japanese music. but i dunno if you want to go there its all in japanese lol but its pretty decent prices for music. almost the same as itunes

ZuneMan?

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Apple Store
This is in response to zune man. You do realize that borrowing cds from the library and putting them on your itunes is the same thing as stealing don't you?

I find it easier than iRyann's way since I have a really slow connection. I'm sure I'm not the only one doing it. :apple:

I DO NOT however sell the music. This would be wrong.

Yes, that would be very wrong.

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Sure because getting songs without paying for them are perfectly legal to do but if you try to sell them, Watch out your in illegal territory.

jake921660

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Australia
Sure because getting songs without paying for them are perfectly legal to do but if you try to sell them, Watch out your in illegal territory.

The way I look at it is that these artists are living in million dollar mansions driving around in expensive cars so my hard earned $15 is more valuable to me than it is to them.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
The way I look at it is that these artists are living in million dollar mansions driving around in expensive cars so my hard earned $15 is more valuable to me than it is to them.

That may be the case for top mainstream artists such as Coldplay or Nickelback, but most any other band is probably tight on cash, because the record label takes the bulk of the sale.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

That hasn't been really settled by the courts. The courts haven't ruled on the legality of downloading. There are arguments on both sides, but at the moment there is no hard rule.

99MustangGTman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2008
Germantown MD/ Columbus OH
I have 2500 song in my iTunes, I payed for 2 of them. Its ridiculous to pay a $1 a song for them off iTunes, that means I would've spend $2500 on songs!!! Thats insane. If your a college student a lot of universities offer free music dl programs.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I have 2500 song in my iTunes, I payed for 2 of them. Its ridiculous to pay a $1 a song for them off iTunes, that means I would've spend $2500 on songs!!! Thats insane. If your a college student a lot of universities offer free music dl programs.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess that would mean you'd have less songs ;)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
You'd actually spend $2475 on songs. It doesn't matter if the artist is living in mansions or driving expensive cars. Stealing is stealing, no matter what the justification is. It is the same if you went to a store and just walked out with an iPod or a new computer without paying for it. Personally, I buy all of my songs, but if iTunes or no legit online store sells that track, I torrent them. This only is the case with unsigned artists or remixes of songs that are underground and not made to sell.

tucker61

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2008
Amazon

£3.00 for the number 1 take that album (The Circus). Compared to 7.99 in iTunes.

yawnyj

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Gig Harbor , Wa
I find it easier than iRyann's way since I have a really slow connection. I'm sure I'm not the only one doing it. :apple:

Yes, that would be very wrong.

Yeah, okay, but just because other people are doing it doesn't make it right either. I sometimes borrow cd's to listen to to see if I like the whole cd before buying it or to see what songs I want to buy, but don't copy them, because in my opinion that is wrong.

99MustangGTman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2008
Germantown MD/ Columbus OH
You'd actually spend $2475 on songs. It doesn't matter if the artist is living in mansions or driving expensive cars. Stealing is stealing, no matter what the justification is. It is the same if you went to a store and just walked out with an iPod or a new computer without paying for it. Personally, I buy all of my songs, but if iTunes or no legit online store sells that track, I torrent them. This only is the case with unsigned artists or remixes of songs that are underground and not made to sell.

I actually wouldn't mind paying for the songs from smaller artists. A lot of times it takes me a while before I actually like the song, so I need to listen to it many times before I decide if its a song I really like, or maybe its just the flavor of the week. Other times I listen to it twice and never again. Out of my 2500 or so songs, theres maybe a good 50 songs I listen to constantly.

I think they should let you dl a song from iTunes, pay for it, and then keep it for 30 days, if by then you like the song, you can have the $1 back. I know a lot of times I dl a song because maybe I heard it on tv, or in a commercial or whatever, and then after a few listens through I decide I don't like it.

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008

So if a homeless person comes in your house and steals your ipod that is OK because it is more valuable to them than it is to you?

Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel, but at least if you're going to steal music just admit it or don't say anything at all. You look silly trying make your stolen music sound legit by inferring that the people who made that music don't deserve it.

Sorry to break it to you all but copying music from other CDs is the same as downloading them from the internet. It doesn't matter if you are selling them or not, you're still stealing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.