Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plaidhippo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Hi all,
I'm making a Christmas video for my wife, and many of my original videos were shot with a standard canon digital camera at 4:3 (640x320) resolution. I am making a widescreen project in imovie '08, but the video has the vertical letterboxing necessary to show the whole image without cropping. I'm wondering if it is possible to force-crop the image to 16:9 resolution, preferrably through imovie or if needed, some other software. I don't mind losing data on the top and bottom, the footage isn't that critical. I just think it would look better on our new widescreen tv to have the 16:9 photo effects along with 16:9 video instead of going between letterboxed and non-letterboxed sources.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Ashish

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
Hi all,
I'm making a Christmas video for my wife, and many of my original videos were shot with a standard canon digital camera at 4:3 (640x320) resolution. I am making a widescreen project in imovie '08, but the video has the vertical letterboxing necessary to show the whole image without cropping. I'm wondering if it is possible to force-crop the image to 16:9 resolution, preferrably through imovie or if needed, some other software. I don't mind losing data on the top and bottom, the footage isn't that critical. I just think it would look better on our new widescreen tv to have the 16:9 photo effects along with 16:9 video instead of going between letterboxed and non-letterboxed sources.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Ashish

You can definitely crop a 4:3 into 16:9 in imove, but you will loose footaqe on top. If you shot in 4:3 resolution i dont hink you can change it to 16:9 resolution. Unless, you export it in compressor

plaidhippo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
I don't mind losing a bit of footage if I can fill the 16:9 screen with the remainder of the video. If this is possible from within imovie 08 or imovie hd, please let me know how to do so!

Thank you!
Ashish

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
I don't mind losing a bit of footage if I can fill the 16:9 screen with the remainder of the video. If this is possible from within imovie 08 or imovie hd, please let me know how to do so!

Thank you!
Ashish

first open imovie
then select a clip you want to turn into 16:9
then click on the button
its in the middle next to the microphone
automatically the crop comes up to 16:9. if you want to adjust it, just move the box up and down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.