Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Ok, i've just ordered a 12" PowerBook (with all the trimmings) from the online uk apple store, and am a little confused about the video out stuff.

I know it has a miniDVI, but does it come with a miniDVI to VGA dongle of some description? My iBook (for sale - PM me for info) has the video out thing and comes with a VGA dongle for it so i'm assuming (hoping) that the powerbook will too. Otherwise i assume I have to get that $20 thingy to do the job?

I bought the powerbook so i can finally stop using my PC as my main machine, and run a dual display with my 17" TFT (no ADC connector unfortunately). Using a PC was costing me so much money in time as I have to reformat it MONTHLY!! After 4 weeks, EVERYTHING about XP just slows down significatly, its not even triggered by anything specific; my cd read speed drops, network speed seems to halve, boot times double, harddisks taking ages to do anything - you name it. Its my work machine so i only have about 5 or 6 apps installed too!

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
the iBook certainly comes with a video->standard monitor conector so you can get mirroring straight away!!

With regards your XP problem (i know you're not asking!) why don't you try Norton Ghost - Make an image of XP with all the apps installed, and every 4 weeks, restore from the image - leave all your docs and mp3's etc. on another partition!

(Sorry - 15 years of windows usage!! (from age 2 :p))

Hob

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Yes the new 12" PowerBook comes with a mini-DVI to DVI adaptor (for DVI screens) and a mini-DVI to VGA adaptor (for VGA screens) out of the box. You have to shell out $20 for the mini-DVI to Video adaptor to make it work with your TV though.

Good luck with the new machine. You made a good choice ;)

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
sweet, good news - thanks!

Am not fussed about the miniDVI-SVideo/RCA at all.

Can't wait until it arrives. I've ordered the extra RAM from elsewhere, and bought a retail boxed aiport extreme card so i can fit it myself - build time is 1-2 days! due to ship on tuesday so should be here on wednesday or thursday.

Rock and/or Roll baby

MrJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.