Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

180253-top100_500.jpg

Solrobots.com, developer of SaveBenjis [App Store] let us know that he had found new Top 100 listings per category in the iTunes Store.

The changes have not yet propagated out to all iTunes clients, but here is a list of what we've found so far.

Books: Paid / Free
Business: Paid / Free
Education: Paid / Free
Entertainment: Paid / Free
Finance: Paid / Free
Games: Paid / Free
Healthcare & Fitness: Paid / Free
News: Paid / Free
Photography: Paid / Free
Reference: Paid / Free
Sports: Paid / Free
Utilities: Paid / Free

Apple had previously only had Top 100 overall and Top 100 game listings.

Article Link: Apple Adds Top 100 App Listings Per Category

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Finally...

Finally! I'd wish they deal with all of the "gaming" that goes on with the top 100, a company lists their version for free for a few hours, then suddenly changes the price.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
I would guess they would have to since there are so many apps out there. The Top 100 isn't enough anymore.

kdarling

macrumors P6
There's a great article on digg this morning http://digg.com/apple/Android_Getting_Slaughtered_by_iPhone that shows that iPhone SDK developer jobs on the open market far exceed that of the SDK for Android.

They're talking about job offers on oDesk.

ODesk is a place where (mostly) people with an idea go to ask for someone to program an app for them. So there's a lot of iPhone "99 cent millionaire" wannabes posting requests for people to program an app they thought up. And they're offering peanuts in pay.

I see the same thing on Craigslist. They offer $10 an hour for programming, and a percentage of the take.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

ODesk is a place where (mostly) people with an idea go to ask for someone to program an app for them. So there's a lot of iPhone "99 cent millionaire" wannabes posting requests for people to program an app they thought up. And they're offering peanuts in pay.

I see the same thing on Craigslist. They offer $10 an hour for programming, and a percentage of the take.

Yes, you're right. Thanks for clearing that garbage up; it means absolutely nothing. The big difference between these 2 app stores is that everything in the Android store is free right now. Who is going to want to offer up money to a developer to make an app that's going to be given away for free? This makes for a very poor investment. We'll have to wait until Google begins to allow selling apps for money.

iphonedevguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
first there were top 10, then 25, then 50 and now 100! when the no of apps increase to 20K, it would be top 200 i guess.

iphonedevguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008

Do they offer the computing resources - an intel mac and the iphone ? I would be interested to get my hands on :p

kdarling

macrumors P6
Do they offer the computing resources - an intel mac and the iphone ? I would be interested to get my hands on :p

I gotta tell you... some of the programmers on oDesk are really inexpensive. Guys from Pakistan, etc.

So even though I bought a used MacBook to do iPhone programming on, and I absolutely hate sending jobs overseas, it's half tempting to take the easy way out and hire one of those guys instead. :p

Seriously, what would be great for the iPhone is if it had a Hypercard type language, so even newbies could program. Too bad Apple hates the idea of interpreters that allow code to be run that they don't control via their store.

One of the great powers of WM is that even non-programmers can use tools like MortScript and RLToday to create customized, active homescreens.

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Sorting by "Most Popular" in each category on iTunes doesn't appear to work anymore. They seem to be sorted alphabetically.

funkboy77

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
There is also a top 100 for Lifestyle...
Does anybody here browse the lifestyle apps? Or are Utilities a more attractive spot? I have a gas mileage app that I currently list in Lifestyle, but I wonder if Utilities may be better...

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Funny that there is not enough weather apps to even fill the 100! :rolleyes:

I guess I better finish updating Red Rome to incorporate all of these changes.

jarofclay73

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Funny that there is not enough weather apps to even fill the 100! :rolleyes:

I guess I better finish updating Red Rome to incorporate all of these changes.

Yes, we need more and better weather apps! I like The Weather Channel for now but I would switch in a heartbeat for something even nicer, better and more intuitive.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Yes, we need more and better weather apps! I like The Weather Channel for now but I would switch in a heartbeat for something even nicer, better and more intuitive.

Agreed, I use the Weather Channel App because at least it tells me the correct temp (unlike Apple's weather app), but it could be improved!

WPeterson

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2008
New York
Top.... who ranked so?

Since Apple has its own privacy, could we trust the top ranking?
However, I usually have a glance at those on top 10. 100 is too many...

Actually I like to use "Search" to find apps. But the search seems not that smooth like Google...

:cool::cool::cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.