PDA

View Full Version : Is there any email API for iPhone?

adeesh
Dec 12, 2008, 04:40 AM
Hello,

Is there any email API for the iPhone? I was looking on all the resources provided by the Apple. But i didn't find any API for email support in iPhone.

Can anyone please tell me is there any inbuilt support for the email functionality in iPhone?

thanks
adeesh jain

robbieduncan
Dec 12, 2008, 05:14 AM
There is the mailto: URL protocol as described in the documentation. That is it: there is no other API, way to attach anything etc unless you do all the mail stuff yourself.

Manty
Dec 12, 2008, 09:44 AM
You can have a look at this project (http://code.google.com/p/skpsmtpmessage/). ;)

adeesh
Dec 14, 2008, 11:32 PM
Is there any way to send attachment with the mail method?

thanks
adeesh jain

Manty
Dec 15, 2008, 08:02 AM
Is there any way to send attachment with the mail method?

thanks
adeesh jain

No, you can't send attachments with the mailto method.

beachdog
Dec 15, 2008, 09:10 AM
Has anyone tried sending an attachment using uuencode? Just wondering if that would work

Jeremy1026
Dec 15, 2008, 09:38 AM
You can have a look at this project (http://code.google.com/p/skpsmtpmessage/). ;)

Good find.

softwareguy256
Jun 9, 2010, 10:04 PM
K it's been two years any new APIs out there? I'm scouring the net for a lightweight IMAP API, I found a few open-source ones but they all require bulky OpenSSL. I'm trying to write a program that analyzes incoming email and makes realtime decisions based off of it. Would like capability to read and send emails.

dejo
Jun 10, 2010, 09:18 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Sending emails there are new APIs for. Reading emails: not so much.

softwareguy256
Jun 13, 2010, 07:09 PM
Right now I'm triyng to implement a very basic IMAP client (RFC 3501) using a light-weight embedded SSL implementation. It looks like there's a lot of stuff I need to implement, the parsing of the parentheses and multi-part MIME decoding. There's gotta be a better way!

I found a few open-source IMAP clients but they are either really hard to compile or suffer from dependency hell: requiring GTK, OpenSSL, etc... Do I just bite the bullet and link in that blob known as OpenSSL or is there a simple lightweight IMAP client out there?