Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
http://www.buy.com/prod/Philips-Universal-Remote-Control-TV-VCR-DVD/q/loc/58207/206609332.html

I saw this remote on Buy.com this morning, heavily discounted. I was planning on buying a logitech harmony 550 remote before today... but for $35 I'm having trouble looking away from this one.

Have any of you had experience with this remote? How do you like it? Does it work properly with the AppleTV?

EDIT: I'd specifically like to know if this can be programmed using a mac, and whether not it has compatibility with the AppleTV. Thanks guys!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I have a friend with one and he's happy with it. Thanks for the link, I think I might pick one up.

Wow, apply for a buy.com credit card and get the remote for 5 bucks.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've seen this a number of times on Woot.com and it always gets some rather poor comments. Amazon has 3/5 stars. If you're willing to chance it then go for it. I know I picked up a GPS unit for $100, heavily discounted, at buy.com on the chance that it may actually be great.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
The Harmony remotes, with their activity-based design, just seem so much better than other remotes I've tried. After using a Harmony for a couple of years now (880, getting ready to transition to a One), I can't imagine using a remote that does not implement an activity-based approach.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Just found a brand new (in the box) Harmony 520 on ebay for $30.00, and I jumped on it. I think the only difference between the 520 and the 550 is the 520's limitation to 12 devices at a time which is not a problem for me.

$5 less, no shipping costs, and probably a more reputable brand in the remote control business. Better reviews for sure.

gadabout

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
if your appletv has the newest firmware, ANY multi-device remote will work with it. you just have to set your remote to an un-used device and go to the apple tv's remote settings.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I have one of the Philips Pronto remotes. Love it. The software I have doesn't run on a Mac so I have to use fusion to run the program. No complaints with it thou. Granted it is not the one listed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.