Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
I have a 1.83 core duo Mini with 2 gig of memory. and i have VMware Fusion,
would i be able to run Vista in the VM? or is my machine too old?

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
all i'm going to use it for is running a database, for when i'm testing a java app i am building, client requires IBM db2, and IBM only released db2 for windows or linux. so i am stuck with running it in a vm with vista.

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
all i'm going to use it for is running a database, for when i'm testing a java app i am building, client requires IBM db2, and IBM only released db2 for windows or linux. so i am stuck with running it in a vm with vista.

What version of linux is it release for. If you install X11 I'm sure you could get it to run in your Mac OS.

-iGrant

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
I have a 1.83 core duo Mini with 2 gig of memory. and i have VMware Fusion,
would i be able to run Vista in the VM? or is my machine too old?

OH Also consider VirtualBox, its an open source VM that is available for the Mac and it works really well and you don't have to pay for it :cool:.

-iGrant

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
What version of linux is it release for. If you install X11 I'm sure you could get it to run in your Mac OS.

-iGrant

SUSE or Redhat

i googled x11, but not sure how that would let work for me

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
OH Also consider VirtualBox, its an open source VM that is available for the Mac and it works really well and you don't have to pay for it :cool:.

-iGrant

Awsome!, i will have to try that out, i'm still running the trial of Fusion, but if virtualbox works i wont have to buy Fusion! that would be great, thanks for the info

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
SUSE or Redhat

i googled x11, but not sure how that would let work for me

X11 allows you to run linux apps in mac os x, you would also want to install macports from macports.com.

That way you could run the software without virtualization. However VirtualBox would be the easiest solution. I have to VPN to work and the VPN is only available for Windows, so I use VirtualBox so I can work from home on my Mac.

-iGrant

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Vista seems a bit heavyweight to run a database - why not just install openSUSE or CentOS in Fusion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.