Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T0Mlol

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
Well, with christmas coming up and everything, here is my story. Please take the time to read and help me out!

Currently, I have a HP Pavilion a1440n Desktop PC. There is nothing wrong with it at all really. I have a 17'' LCD monitor and I have upgraded the RAM to be 4GB DDR2 RAM. 2.7 Intel Pentium D Core 2 Duo Processor with 200? GB HD with a GeForce 7600GT video card.

I installed hackintosh (Macintosh basically, just on a windows PC) on it last year and I made it dual boot between Vista and Leopard so it works great. Well, in January I am starting school and going to do something with Graphic Design & MAYBE Video editing. Although I do like to video edit on my desktop, I don't do heavy editing, just a few videos and clips here and there. Anyway, I fell in love with mac so much that I don't want another windows computer. For christmas, my parents are getting everyone laptops and asked if I wanted one. So I mentioned I would like to have a Macbook. I have been checking them out and they are all sharp but I would want the $1599 one, with 2.4 and 2GB DDR3. Now, Is this a bad idea for me? Am I downgrading in anyway? I basically want to be able to do the same stuff on the Macbook as I can on the desktop, maybe just a little faster and sleeker which I know it defiantly will be sleeker, ha. I was also worried about the screen size since I would be going from a 17'' to a 13". I do have a 42" plasma TV though I could hook the macbook up to incase I was looking for a bigger screen for projects for school and such.

I basically want to be able to use Photoshop no problem, Dreamweaver, etc. Stuff with graphic designing. For Video, I want to be able to use iMovie, Adobe After Effects, and Final Cut. Now with the last two, I don't expect it to run GREAT but I would like to be able to use it here and there since I was able to use it with the desktop I installed mac on it so I don't want to lose anything. I think a laptop would be great so I can bring it to class or other places and everything. Seems really cool to lay around the house with it and not just have to be stuck sitting at a desk, idk. Please everyone, tell me what you would do if you were in my situation. Keep it mind, I wouldn't have to buy it or anything, I might help my parents and through a few hundred since it is a lot but I think it might be worth, it....it's a mac!

I understand this is a mac forum and you guys all love mac and stuff but please be honest. Is it a waste of money or are the macbooks totally awesome and the way to go?

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
Well, with christmas coming up and everything, here is my story. Please take the time to read and help me out!

Currently, I have a HP Pavilion a1440n Desktop PC. There is nothing wrong with it at all really. I have a 17'' LCD monitor and I have upgraded the RAM to be 4GB DDR2 RAM. 2.7 Intel Pentium D Core 2 Duo Processor with 200? GB HD with a GeForce 7600GT video card.

I installed hackintosh (Macintosh basically, just on a windows PC) on it last year and I made it dual boot between Vista and Leopard so it works great. Well, in January I am starting school and going to do something with Graphic Design & MAYBE Video editing. Although I do like to video edit on my desktop, I don't do heavy editing, just a few videos and clips here and there. Anyway, I fell in love with mac so much that I don't want another windows computer. For christmas, my parents are getting everyone laptops and asked if I wanted one. So I mentioned I would like to have a Macbook. I have been checking them out and they are all sharp but I would want the $1599 one, with 2.4 and 2GB DDR3. Now, Is this a bad idea for me? Am I downgrading in anyway? I basically want to be able to do the same stuff on the Macbook as I can on the desktop, maybe just a little faster and sleeker which I know it defiantly will be sleeker, ha. I was also worried about the screen size since I would be going from a 17'' to a 13". I do have a 42" plasma TV though I could hook the macbook up to incase I was looking for a bigger screen for projects for school and such.

I basically want to be able to use Photoshop no problem, Dreamweaver, etc. Stuff with graphic designing. For Video, I want to be able to use iMovie, Adobe After Effects, and Final Cut. Now with the last two, I don't expect it to run GREAT but I would like to be able to use it here and there since I was able to use it with the desktop I installed mac on it so I don't want to lose anything. I think a laptop would be great so I can bring it to class or other places and everything. Seems really cool to lay around the house with it and not just have to be stuck sitting at a desk, idk. Please everyone, tell me what you would do if you were in my situation. Keep it mind, I wouldn't have to buy it or anything, I might help my parents and through a few hundred since it is a lot but I think it might be worth, it....it's a mac!

I understand this is a mac forum and you guys all love mac and stuff but please be honest. Is it a waste of money or are the macbooks totally awesome and the way to go?

This has been cover so many time before. There's a search function on this forum. Short answer. Yes it'll run all of the above just fine.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
what kind of answer do you really expect on a mac forum? most people are going to say get the macbook, a few are going to say you have a functional pc dont replace it. and some others wont say anything because they wont take kindly to your hackintosh. do whatever you want, if you want a genuine mac, get it.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
I'd stay with what you have. It works fine, has a better screen then the MB, and won't cost you more money. I'd wait a few months if you want a MB anyways. Let Apple figure out the problems so you won't be beta testing for them.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Throw a GeForce 9 GPU in it and use it for another year and a half. It'll hold you over until the Core i7s make their way into notebooks at the end of next year, beginning of 2010.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Is the CPU in your computer a Pentium D or a Core 2 Duo. There's no such thing as a Pentium D Core 2 Duo.

If its a Pentium D then the Macbook will be faster, despite the lower clockspeed. My friends 1.6ghz Core 2 benches faster than my other friends 3ghz Pentium D.

I would personally take the money and buy the Macbook when they are next updated. The white Macbook (the $999 one) will probably be shafted a few months down the line, and you might be able to save a couple of hundred.

Yaris

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
It could be a Pentium Dual Core, which is much better than Pentium D, but they show up as Core 2 Duo in about this mac on a hackintosh.

T0Mlol

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
Thanks guys.

I dunno, it says Intel 2 Duo but the link that has description on the PC says Pentium D.

I basically wanna clear my space up with this desktop and just sit the laptop on the desk and not lose anything. How is the ram with DDR3. Is the 2GB DDR3 RAM going to be better then the 4GB DDR2 RAM I have in here now?

The intergrated video card isn't that much worse then the one in my desktop? That's good then. Everything else I'm not to worried about. The screen maybe but I'll get over it.

What do you guys think?

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
you'll have lots of problems if you use a macbook for any visual programs where accurate color is important. the screens aren't adequate for accurate color representation.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I own both a real alu macbook and a 3 year old PC hackintosh.

I think the only way you can find out if your PC is capable of running that software is to run it. I was pleasantly surprised on how powerful my PC turned out. Either way, you'll end up getting that software if you'll use it on a macbook.

I guess it mostly depends if you'll be going to school in residence or not. If you have to get to campus and have to stay there, a laptop might be worth it. But otherwise, I'm pretty sure, your current computer is capable doing what you want.

T0Mlol

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
Well nah, I want the laptop bad don't get me wrong. I just didn't want to be downgrading as much. If you all think it can do the same thing then I'm good with getting it.

Laptops are just cleaner and sometimes seem easier.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Well nah, I want the laptop bad don't get me wrong. I just didn't want to be downgrading as much. If you all think it can do the same thing then I'm good with getting it.

Laptops are just cleaner and sometimes seem easier.

You have to ask yourself if you need a laptop or just want one. A laptop makes sense if you're going to be moving it around (taking it to class, say). On the other hand, if the computer is going to sit in your room, your HP will do fine.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
If your current machine will work, use it. Tell your parents you want to wait on the new 10.6 O.S. and see what happens with it.

Your Mom and Dad may not be so quick to buy you a laptop once you're out of school and in the real world. If your current machine works, tell them you'd like a graduation present instead, and get the macbook intel 16 core that will most likely come out by then.:D

janat

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
I think that you will be equivalent

You can install new RAM cards inside which is very easy to do. Search macbook ram manual on apple.com. More then that you will have better time because DDR3 has faster clock speed, and also 1ghz, which is faster then any DDR2.
If you really would like a treat for yourself, you could buy 15'4 inch pro which has 2 video cards, extra one for gaming, and etc.

T0Mlol

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
You have to ask yourself if you need a laptop or just want one. A laptop makes sense if you're going to be moving it around (taking it to class, say). On the other hand, if the computer is going to sit in your room, your HP will do fine.

It's actually a little of both. When I start school, I will probably bring it with me so in between classes, I can type papers. Other then that, It will probably be around the house but now I can actually lay in my bed, on the couch, etc instead of sitting up in a desk. I usually don't go stay at peoples house, they usually come here. If I go out, I usually just use my iphone.

But as far as performance, will I notice anything slower?

I wanna jump on this deal since my parents were going to help me buy it. If they don't help me buy a mac, I dont see myself ever buying one since they are sooo much money. Thats why I wanna jump on this.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Since it has been confirmed that the desktop is a Pentium D and not a Core 2, I can assure you without a doubt, the Macbook is the faster computer, regardless of clock speed. You will not be downgrading at all :)

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I'd stay with what you have. It works fine, has a better screen then the MB, and won't cost you more money. I'd wait a few months if you want a MB anyways. Let Apple figure out the problems so you won't be beta testing for them.

This.

T0Mlol

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
Since it has been confirmed that the desktop is a Pentium D and not a Core 2, I can assure you without a doubt, the Macbook is the faster computer, regardless of clock speed. You will not be downgrading at all :)

But my desktop has a sticker that says, "Intel Viiv Technology with an Intel Pentium D Processor 820 [featuring two processing cores]"

Whats two processing cores then?

Yaris

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
The Pentium D is dual core like the Core 2 Duo but it isn't as fast as the C2D.

Roadking

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
a laptop would be nice and you might be able to hook up that monitor that you already have to it.

I don't use my desktop very much anymore just my two laptops.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
It's actually a little of both. When I start school, I will probably bring it with me so in between classes, I can type papers. Other then that, It will probably be around the house but now I can actually lay in my bed, on the couch, etc instead of sitting up in a desk. I usually don't go stay at peoples house, they usually come here. If I go out, I usually just use my iphone.

But as far as performance, will I notice anything slower?

I wanna jump on this deal since my parents were going to help me buy it. If they don't help me buy a mac, I dont see myself ever buying one since they are sooo much money. Thats why I wanna jump on this.

typing papers between classes.... hahahaha

FieryFurnace

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Berlin, Germany
But my desktop has a sticker that says, "Intel Viiv Technology with an Intel Pentium D Processor 820 [featuring two processing cores]"

Whats two processing cores then?

Your CPU has also 2 cores like a Core2Duo has, but your Pentium D is like 2 CPU generations behind compared to the Core2Duo.
You should see a nice performance boost going from Pentium D to Core2Duo.

typing papers between classes.... hahahaha

I am typing papers and do assignments between classes too sometimes when I have like a 2 or 3 hour break.

Camoischaos

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
Southern California
Well id say you should think to yourself first. "Is this a need or a luxury"? With the screen i wouldnt worry much about due to you can hook the macbook up to the monitor. I bought my macbook for school but it pretty much turned into my desktop i really only use my desktop for games. But if you want to go for it man its your money (and your parents =p). You could always wait too for next year to come by and by that time new hardware will be in them (most likely). But in the end its what you want to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.