Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musiqzuki

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
So I got a Macbook and I want to hook it up with the S2209W Dell 22" Flat Panel LCD Monitor.

Which Video Output do I get...? Cuz I don't know the difference between DVI and VGA..

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
DVI is superiour to VGA.

DVI is a purely digital signal, thus there is zero loss of detail, whereas VGA is an analog signal, and thus can lose information along the way.

RobertD63

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
A place
You going to need one of These (DVI, VGA) to run it to. Assuming its a New Alum Macbook. Picked one up today from the Apple store and it works great! VGA at least.

Edit: Did some research and your display uses DVI so you will get this one for the Alum MacBook.

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
does a vga adapter work on top of apples dvi connector; I have 2 that came with my graphics card.

Adapter_DVI_to_VGA.jpg

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
does a vga adapter work on top of apples dvi connector; I have 2 that came with my graphics card.

Adapter_DVI_to_VGA.jpg

Unfortunately no. Apple has been a bitch once again and the DVI adapter only carries the digital component, not the digital+analog. So if you want DVI and VGA, you need to get an adapter for each.

musiqzuki

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Is there a cord that can extend the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, seems kind of short...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.