Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
UK
Hello All

About three months I bought a refurbished Apple TV from Apple.

Since I have had it, when I switch to my HDMI1 input on my LG TV, the Apple TV will not display anything and the TV simply displays 'No Signal'.

It doesn't matter whether the Apple TV is switched on or in standby mode and I turn it on.

The only way I can seem to get it to work is to randomly press buttons on the aTV menu until eventually it wakes up, (when I am pressing the buttons on the remote they are registering as the white light flashes).

I have tried the aTV in different HDMI ports and I get the same results. The only thing I haven't tried is a different HDMI lead.

Does anybody else have this problem, or does anybody think this is a fault.

Thanks for reading

- D

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Same here. I was thinking it is a HDMI thing.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
You should definitively try another HDMI cable.

I had that exact problem (albeit with a 360, not an Apple TV). Desperately switching HDMI ports, turning on/off or reconnecting the HDMI cable didn't make any difference. Using another HDMI cable solved everything right away.

Worth a shot at least.

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
UK
You should definitively try another HDMI cable.

I had that exact problem (albeit with a 360, not an Apple TV). Desperately switching HDMI ports, turning on/off or reconnecting the HDMI cable didn't make any difference. Using another HDMI cable solved everything right away.

Worth a shot at least.

Thanks will give that a try.

- D

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Just a problem with HDMI, and certain HDMI cables are different versions.

I just switched to component to avoid paying £50 for a bloody cable.

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
UK
Just a problem with HDMI, and certain HDMI cables are different versions.

I just switched to component to avoid paying £50 for a bloody cable.

LOL, a man after my own heart :D

TBF, the cable I am using is a £10 Argos special!!

- D

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
for cables, the following company pretty much can't be beat.
although most of the posters in this thread seem to be in the UK, so don't know if this will help
http://www.monoprice.com

Can't get the site to load right now, but normally the cables that are $80 to $100 elsewhere are $10-$15 at this place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.