Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleetusvandamm

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
I ordered a 4GB kit for my Imac (intel April 2008)
They sent me a kit thats labeled for Macbook pro..
Do the Macbook Pro and the Imac take the same memory? I called them but they are closed

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Which iMac do you have? All iMacs use portable (notebook) memory modules. It's essential a desktop portable by design.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
First off, don't ever buy from Crucial. Second, yes, it will work.

I've bought all my memory from Crucial and never had a problem with any module. Installed Crucial memory in my hp LaserJet printer, self-built AMD Athlon XP PC, Dell notebook, PowerBook G4, iMac G5, iMac Aluminum, and MacBook Aluminum. Also upgraded my parents' iMac G5 and iMac Aluminum.

Not one single problem out of all those systems.

So what's so bad about Crucial?

cleetusvandamm

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
yes id like to know as well. ive heard nothing but good about them ..especially on this forum..
what exactly is so bad ?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
First off, don't ever buy from Crucial. Second, yes, it will work.

I just ordered a 1GB stick of RAM (to upgrade the 1GB stock in my Alu. iMac) the other day for $15. I could not find this same stick of RAM at any place else for a price this low. What is so bad about this?

Joe888

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2008
Yea i would like to know to because i was thinking of buying extra crucial RAM for my iMac..and its so cheap!

Chadgo1

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
Ordered 2GB extra RAM for my 24" 2.8 iMac from Crucial (Our business's Mactech pointed me to Crucial). Installed fine and worked initially last night. My wife called me on my way to work this morning telling me the iMac is now "beeping". Either the RAM is not pushed all the way in or it is a bad stick.

Also, I made two dumb mistakes when ordering. First, I ordered 2GB from Crucial, but did not realize I ordered two 1GB sticks. (I was trying to upgrade from 2 to 4). So I sent it back and got one 2GB stick. Finally received it in the mail and went to install it and didn't realize that the computer came with two 1GB sticks (there are only two slots). So, now I have to order another 2GB stick to make the upgrade complete (that's if I can get the new one to work).

Ugh.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
Crucial uses questionable marketing practices (i.e. looks into your cookies to see if they're related to the computer model memory you're looking at then charges you more based on it). The memory itself should be fine, and if you get a good deal out of them, great. But be careful.

cleetusvandamm

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
Crucial uses questionable marketing practices (i.e. looks into your cookies to see if they're related to the computer model memory you're looking at then charges you more based on it). The memory itself should be fine, and if you get a good deal out of them, great. But be careful.
I hear they fly black helicopters too :)
Anyway i delete cookies on a regular basis so if what you say is fact they can have it .
Since they sent the wrong memory I had to return it so I decided to get the proper memory at Frys since they had that incredible 4 gb for 19.99 deal on Crucial memory..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.