Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilovelexi7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Southern California
Alright so I didn't have my computer at the time that I had purchased my iPod Classic. So...What did I do. I grabbed my friends MacBook Pro and uploaded music.

Now he has music that I do not and its music that I enjoy but I now have my computer back(Windows Vista) and would like to put my music on my iPod so they can co-exist in a musical nirvana.

The problem is my iPod is formated to Mac and when I plug it in it says I must format it before I can load music. Now what can I do if anything to get around this problem?

Thanks for the help.
-Kyle

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Alright so I didn't have my computer at the time that I had purchased my iPod Classic. So...What did I do. I grabbed my friends MacBook Pro and uploaded music.

Now he has music that I do not and its music that I enjoy but I now have my computer back(Windows Vista) and would like to put my music on my iPod so they can co-exist in a musical nirvana.

The problem is my iPod is formated to Mac and when I plug it in it says I must format it before I can load music. Now what can I do if anything to get around this problem?

Thanks for the help.
-Kyle

You'll have to plug the iPod into your computer and hit "restore". This will download the Windows formatted version of the iPod's software.

You'll still be able to sync with your friend's Mac and iTunes even with a Windows-formatted iPod, the Mac formatting really only affects being able to use the iPod as a portable drive (in other words, enabling disk use).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.