Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danfz1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Lately when I go to certain websites such as Facebook or Accuweather, it appears as though I am getting the mobile versions of the sites or I am prompted to download the mobile app. An ideas why?

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Lately when I go to certain websites such as Facebook or Accuweather, it appears as though I am getting the mobile versions of the sites or I am prompted to download the mobile app. An ideas why?

This JUST started happening? Like it didnt happen before?

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
You're probably using User Agent Switching, which makes websites think your browser is a different browser on a different platform. Yours is probably set to iPhone 1.1.3.

danfz1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Happens in Camino, Safari, and FF. What's User Agent Switching? Sorry, Mac newbie here....

danimal99

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
You might be running into websites that are detecting a WebKit-enabled browser, but not checking the screensize too. So it's seeing your Safari but not also seeing that you're running on a Mac and not an iPhone. Just send a message about it through whatever website feedback they use, and it'll get sorted out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.