Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmaroon

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
I'm on the market for a stand/elevator for me early '08 Macbook.

Not looking to spend a fortune... ~ £30 - 40 tops.

Any suggestions?

cheers..

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
I use a Griffin Elevator stand. Costs about £20 from Amazon UK. Works great. Lifts the screen to eye level, and lets you use a separate keyboard.

Theirishjoey

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
What about a Zalman ZM-NC2000/1000? I have one and it's really nice to use. It doesn't elevate it very much but it makes it much more comfortable to use and there's a cooler thrown in to boot.

You would be suprised what a difference computing speed has to how hot your computer is. This might just be me but when I'm not using my cooler my laptop lags, but when I am using my cooler it doesn't lag at all.

Hope this helped!

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Griffin Elevator. Bought one on Ebay and it looks really nice with the Alu MB, and works great. Perfect height and viewing angle.

manuel.mx

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
I got the Griffin Elevator last week and it is nice. One thing to be warned about is its assembly as it doesn't hold in one piece. If you pull one arm back it might come out. But I dont see why you would move it.

Its probably one of the few stands around. I didnt have any chance to compare them physically, just through online references.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I got the Griffin Elevator last week and it is nice. One thing to be warned about is its assembly as it doesn't hold in one piece. If you pull one arm back it might come out. But I dont see why you would move it.

That would be tough to do though, especially when you have the weight of the laptop pushing down, and those rubber feet on the bottom do a pretty good job of keeping the stand in place.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
I'm on the market for a stand/elevator for me early '08 Macbook.

Not looking to spend a fortune... ~ £30 - 40 tops.

Any suggestions?

cheers..

i like the mstand. Looks better than the griffin elevator in my opinion.
MBPro-stand.jpg

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
i like the mstand. Looks better than the griffin elevator in my opinion.
MBPro-stand.jpg

My Rain Design m-stand is excellent, very happy with it too. A few years ago they brought out a new version with a little cut-out where you put your thumb in to open the lid, so if you see old pictures without that, most likely any one you purchase will be the new one anyway.

The Griffin Elevator looks very fragile, and the laptop looks like it could be easily knocked off... the mstand is very sturdy. The laptop is cushioned against the aluminium by thick rubber pads, so it doesn't slide around either. The keyboard is on an angle, which I much prefer to sitting horizontal... it's just for some reason feels easier to use.

AND it acts as a giant aluminium heatsink! If you can spare the $, it is highly recommended.

mrmaroon

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
My Rain Design m-stand is excellent, very happy with it too. A few years ago they brought out a new version with a little cut-out where you put your thumb in to open the lid, so if you see old pictures without that, most likely any one you purchase will be the new one anyway.

The Griffin Elevator looks very fragile, and the laptop looks like it could be easily knocked off... the mstand is very sturdy. The laptop is cushioned against the aluminium by thick rubber pads, so it doesn't slide around either. The keyboard is on an angle, which I much prefer to sitting horizontal... it's just for some reason feels easier to use.

AND it acts as a giant aluminium heatsink! If you can spare the $, it is highly recommended.

Well colour me jealous.

And I'll be using mine on a cramped desk next to an (sadly not CD) external monitor.

I just need the space - I'm hoping to stash some stuff underneath.

manuel.mx

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
The elevator works fine, i got it for 32usd from buy and works just fine for me. The mrain looks nice, i didnt know about it when I got mine. However it seems that the griffin one offers more space beneath it.

About the Mrain being a heatsink, im not sure about it since it looks like the computer is held by some pads between the aluminum and the computer, so heat wont transfer through there.

Definetly the mrain looks better, but I think the griffin one serves the purose, it is strong and it is not meant to push against it (by typing over it) and it does hold the computer as long as you keep the pads clean. Besides, I think the griffin one helps you gain space in your desk, while the mrain seems just to take it. That is my opinion.

iBLAKEE

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Anyone know where I can see some pictures of this stand with a BlackBook on it?
I really love the way this stand looks.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
I used two letter trays from staples stacked upside down to elevate my MBP for about a year. I initially did it just as a temporary situation while I was moving, but they're actually kind of nice looking and not the old flat kind. Total cost was about a dollar, the whole thing was very functional.

RUB86028_1_1.JPG

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
Well that's six units, they come in a six pack for three or four dollars. I tried one unit, settled on two. I later bent a stand from lexan in my studio, which I used for a while before giving it away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.