Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
I'm just curious how long it takes others to rip and encode a dvd using the Apple TV preset with Handbrake 0.9.3... I've noticed that it takes about twice as long as it did with the 0.9.2 presets... I'm assuming that's because it is using the constant quality instead of the average bit rate, is that correct?

With the new preset, it takes about 2 and a half hours for me... how long does it take for you?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
yep, it can take longer. Which is why we also included the old abr preset under Apple > Legacy.

Times will vary widely depending on sources and peoples computers so asking how long it takes people is basically useless in all honesty.

heyp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
yep, it can take longer. Which is why we also included the old abr preset under Apple > Legacy.

Times will vary widely depending on sources and peoples computers so asking how long it takes people is basically useless in all honesty.

yeah, i see what you mean... i was just curious to see if that was an average time most people were seeing or if mine was much slower than others...

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Mine vary depending on the DVD (Movie) but typically it's about 1 hour and 20 minutes before it's done using the "Universal" setting.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Also, realize that using cq , during complex/grainy scenes your encode will slow way down, and during very simple scenes, like two people talking in a dark room with little grain, the encode will speed way up.

So, its very source dependent as well.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I've used the new Apple TV pre-set in 0.9.3 to encode 45 minutes TV episodes and on my Dual 2.5GHz they are taking about 5hrs :(

What kind of performance can I expect on an 8-Core Mac Pro?

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
Are these times expected on a compressed extraction of dvd files? Or are you all referring to the full (sometimes 8gb) sized extractions?
I am still fiddling with trying to keep itunes and appletv syncing nicely (eg. its not)

Edit: also for my $0.02, it took me about 4 hours to 2-pass encode a 4.3gb sized dvd, or was it 5 hours?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.