PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air is for Jerks, says MSNBC

rs7
Dec 14, 2008, 01:16 PM
An MSNBC writer had this to say: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28039226/?pg=5#Tech_JerkGadgets

LOL. :)

redwarrior
Dec 14, 2008, 01:25 PM
It's a good thing we know better than to let the media shape our opinions.:rolleyes::p

Tallest Skil
Dec 14, 2008, 01:26 PM
He's just jealous that:

1. He can't afford it.
2. He's too stupid to know its target market.

rdowns
Dec 14, 2008, 01:27 PM
He obviously doesn't have a small penis. :D

Santa Rosa
Dec 14, 2008, 01:28 PM
Obviously I must be a jerk then...

Schtumple
Dec 14, 2008, 01:29 PM
inb4 fanboy remarks

EDIT: Too slow...

Tofaha
Dec 14, 2008, 01:31 PM
its a sleek, sexy piece of art...If it doesn't suite your needs get another one :)

Me1000
Dec 14, 2008, 01:40 PM
All 8 pages of that were CRAP!
:rolleyes:

Lamestream media doesn't understand anything anymore! :cool:

jdwingnut
Dec 14, 2008, 01:46 PM
The writer and article are being funded from Microsoft's $300 Million dollar ad campaign, can't you tell :eek:

Ironic
Dec 14, 2008, 01:47 PM
Ibought it just to look at :)

Me1000
Dec 14, 2008, 01:48 PM
The writer and article are being funded from Microsoft's $300 Million dollar ad campaign, can't you tell :eek:

[citation needed]

iParis
Dec 14, 2008, 01:52 PM
Wow, this guy has no common sense.
He must really dislike Steve Jobs then.
Wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft is behind this.

rs7
Dec 14, 2008, 01:59 PM
Wow, this guy has no common sense.
He must really dislike Steve Jobs then.
Wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft is behind this.

On their articles that seem to be conflict of interest they say, "MSNBC is a joint venture of NBC and Microsoft." :D

NC MacGuy
Dec 14, 2008, 02:01 PM
They are:
Two partnerships with the name MSNBC were founded in 1996 by Microsoft and General Electric's NBC unit, which is now NBC Universal. Although Microsoft and NBC shared operations of MSNBC cable at its founding, it was announced on December 23, 2005, that NBC Universal would purchase a majority stake in the television network, which left Microsoft with 18%. The two companies remain 50-50 partners in msnbc.com. MSNBC, like sister channel CNBC, shares the NBC logo of a rainbow peacock.

mlblacy
Dec 14, 2008, 02:16 PM
An MSNBC writer had this to say: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28039226/?pg=5#Tech_JerkGadgets

Quite frankly I own a first gen Air, and find that it was a sound purchase that I never once regretted. You on the other hand, are an ignorant ass, who either hates all things Apple (no loss there, but I would suggest you might stick to talking about things you actually use, or know something about about). Or, perhaps you can't afford the Air, and are upset it didn't hit your magic pricepoint of $399.

I don't care what the tools I use make me look like, I didn't buy it to "look cool". It weighs next to nothing, and fits in my existing small attache. While it doesn't have an internal DVD (I never missed it), and has a limited number of ports, it is more than sufficient to power and run my Optoma HD projector I use for business meetings. Perhaps you are the sort of twit that chooses a laptop to look "cool" in Starbucks while working on some obviously very important and grand document, but that though never once occurred to me. Too cheap to pay the price? Head over to Amazon and you can find a brand new previous gen Air for $1149. Better yet, stick to writing about things you know about... otherwise you just sound like a pathetic trolls.
cheers...

iVeBeenDrinkin'
Dec 14, 2008, 02:28 PM
I guess that means Olbermann and Matthews both have MacBook Airs.

NT1440
Dec 14, 2008, 02:30 PM
I guess that means Olbermann and Matthews both have MacBook Airs.

Nope, they get to play around with the microsoft surface.

macbook123
Dec 14, 2008, 02:35 PM
I infer from the fact that they say Linux is for Jerks as well (item 7/8) that I'm a Jerk and the Macbook Air must be the best laptop in the world.

.Andy
Dec 14, 2008, 02:36 PM
I'm a jerk and I really want one. There's some merit in the article.

rs7
Dec 14, 2008, 02:37 PM
Quite frankly I own a first gen Air, and find that it was a sound purchase that I never once regretted. You on the other hand, are an ignorant ass, who either hates all things Apple (no loss there, but I would suggest you might stick to talking about things you actually use, or know something about about). Or, perhaps you can't afford the Air, and are upset it didn't hit your magic pricepoint of $399.

I don't care what the tools I use make me look like, I didn't buy it to "look cool". It weighs next to nothing, and fits in my existing small attache. While it doesn't have an internal DVD (I never missed it), and has a limited number of ports, it is more than sufficient to power and run my Optoma HD projector I use for business meetings. Perhaps you are the sort of twit that chooses a laptop to look "cool" in Starbucks while working on some obviously very important and grand document, but that though never once occurred to me. Too cheap to pay the price? Head over to Amazon and you can find a brand new previous gen Air for $1149. Better yet, stick to writing about things you know about... otherwise you just sound like a pathetic trolls.
cheers...

I hope that that was to the writer and not me. :confused: I have a Aluminum MacBook :D.

rdowns
Dec 14, 2008, 02:38 PM
I hope that that was to the writer and not me. :confused: I have a Aluminum MacBook :D.

MacBooks are for bigger jerks. MBPs are for aresholes. :D

.Andy
Dec 14, 2008, 02:40 PM
What about desktops?

NT1440
Dec 14, 2008, 02:44 PM
What about desktops?

For people of unspeakable evil

http://www.davidlouisedelman.com/wp-content/uploads/adolf-hitler-with-a-mac.jpg

:D

NC MacGuy
Dec 14, 2008, 02:46 PM

Ummm, by this reasoning I should just put myself out of my misery.:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::p:apple::p;)

Or get a couple more so I can be duly qualified in four years.

rs7
Dec 14, 2008, 02:49 PM
On a side note, who wants to register microsoftrumors.com ? :D

.Andy
Dec 14, 2008, 02:51 PM

This is really clever. The reflection seals it :D

NT1440
Dec 14, 2008, 02:52 PM
This is really clever. The reflection seals it :D

lol actually i think that was just a clever use of laziness seeing its a pic of Jobs at the keynote with Hitlers head pasted on.

Funny nontheless

Auzburner
Dec 14, 2008, 02:53 PM
What a rude ****ing loser. What a POS article, I think he was trying to directly insult every MacBook Air owner - nice journalism bud.

NC MacGuy
Dec 14, 2008, 02:55 PM
What a rude ****ing loser. What a POS article, I think he was trying to directly insult every MacBook Air owner - nice journalism bud.

Not trying to derail this into a PRSI kind of issue but MSNBC is not really known for its unbiased journalism.

NT1440
Dec 14, 2008, 02:58 PM
Not trying to derail this into a PRSI kind of issue but MSNBC is not really known for its unbiased journalism.

Funny, seeing as they were supposedly in the tank for Obama/biden.

http://www.barack-obama-now.com/pix-2008/obama_computer.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2008/11/obama-29384029384.jpg

Even funnier when half the staff at MSNBC uses macs.

NC MacGuy
Dec 14, 2008, 03:00 PM
^^^^^We are all stupid sheep. No one saw those. It never happened. And if you did, those were test units for review(s).

MH01
Dec 14, 2008, 03:56 PM
The MBA is for people with money :) Jerks can be rich or poor....

My Jerkness only went up 25% when i bought one....

Better then a journalist tough, IQ drops a 100 points....

ntrigue
Dec 14, 2008, 04:00 PM
I feel like a prick when I plop down at the local cafe amongst a sea of black and white MBs. Then I get over it.

mhnajjar
Dec 14, 2008, 04:05 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photo/_new/Brill-tech-081023-intro-1p.hmedium.jpg

Is that "THE JERK!"

:D:D:apple::D:D

Cynicalone
Dec 14, 2008, 05:18 PM
I own 2 MacBook Airs I must be a complete assh*le then. :D

bobbleheadbob
Dec 14, 2008, 05:27 PM
I was a jerk long before I got a MBA. :p

Winni
Dec 14, 2008, 06:28 PM
Some of you guys should hit your local shopping mall this week and see if some sense of humor is on sale - you badly need it.

Maybe it comforts you a bit that the Blackberry folks got an ever stronger broadside from the MSNBC folks. I'm sure that many of my former colleagues would hate the author with a passion for his remarks about Blackberry users. Just like the MacBook Air users here on this forum seem to hate the guy.

However, the descriptions why those seven devices make you look like a jerk could have come straight from Scott Adams' Dilbert cartoons. Sometimes it's hard to laugh about the Dilbert strips because they are depicting corporate fact, not fiction.

Tallest Skil
Dec 14, 2008, 06:29 PM
Sometimes it's hard to laugh about the Dilbert strips because they are depicting corporate fact, not fiction.

There's a good old quote: "If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you."

It's at the beginning of CSA: The Confederate States of America, at least. :D

gotzero
Dec 14, 2008, 06:29 PM
I own and use everything on that list except the Tivo and Segway. I guess I am beyond help...

chewbaccacabra
Dec 14, 2008, 07:37 PM
And I bought my Air at the Jerkstore!:D

Ironic
Dec 14, 2008, 07:40 PM
I own and use everything on that list except the Tivo and Segway. I guess I am beyond help...

I own everything But the segway and thats on my list:)

darwinian
Dec 14, 2008, 08:32 PM
Ah, even if you don't agree, I found the concept amusing. Plus I'm annoyed by friends on Blackberries. I get a kick out of Segway cops. Most of the people with pulsing blue ears DO look like they're talking to themselves. And $1799's way more than I'd ever pay for a MBA (personally!). :D

h1d
Dec 14, 2008, 10:22 PM
Oh come on, he had to write that article to receive $500 from MS, so he can now almost afford a MB for his christmas :D (While hoping to get MBA in his dream)

Let's see who would write similar article if it meant a free iPod :rolleyes:

LloydBraun89
Dec 14, 2008, 10:42 PM
And I bought my Air at the Jerkstore!:D

"the jerkstore called, theyre running out of you."
"whats it matter, youre their all time best seller"

darwinian
Dec 14, 2008, 11:00 PM
"the jerkstore called, theyre running out of you."
"whats it matter, youre their all time best seller"

Serenity now, insanity later.

sangosimo
Dec 14, 2008, 11:09 PM
the article is pretty accurate. The macbook air is most assuredly a jerk device, which is beaten in nearly every category by the alu macbook. The physical dimensions of the macbook air is nice and so is the screen, but the price is really high for such a limited device. Add 1.5 pounds to the macbook air's weight you get a device that is much more portable imo. The air is cool but is really is a fashion statement.

NT1440
Dec 14, 2008, 11:10 PM
the article is pretty accurate. The macbook air is most assuredly a jerk device, which is beaten in nearly every category by the alu macbook. The physical dimensions of the macbook air is nice and so is the screen, but the price is really high for such a limited device. Add 1.5 pounds to the macbook air's weight you get a device that is much more portable imo. The air is cool but is really is a fashion statement.
ugh.

People like it so they buy it. Is every person that owns a mercedes a jerk?

sangosimo
Dec 14, 2008, 11:16 PM
I don't think everyone that owns it is a jerk but as a jerk device it is owned by more jerks. I don't think the article said anything about mercs and everyone knows that beemer drivers are the jerk car owners :P.

NT1440
Dec 14, 2008, 11:18 PM
I don't think everyone that owns it is a jerk but as a jerk device it is owned by more jerks. I don't think the article said anything about mercs and everyone knows that beemer drivers are the jerk car owners :P.

What makes it a jerk device?

sangosimo
Dec 14, 2008, 11:39 PM
But the MacBook Air? No amount of breathless advertising sufficiently obscures the fact that you paid a premium for an elegantly designed, under-featured, overpriced laptop without an optical drive.

What does it do? It fits in an interoffice mail envelope and it has rounded edges. Forward that junk to Frank in Design. After all, everyone already knows he's a self-indulgent boob.

the macbook air is celebrated for being inadequate and that is why I consider it a jerk device.

Artofilm
Dec 15, 2008, 12:00 AM
the macbook air is celebrated for being inadequate and that is why I consider it a jerk device.

This guy is just grumpy because all of his friends and family have macbook airs and he is stuck with a POS microslop winblowz PC that falls apart in his hands.

BTW, a lot of people find 500 HP in a car overkill, but there is a group of people who will pay for it, regardless of the other features the car may or may not have, just like the slim-factor of the Macbook Air.

SFStateStudent
Dec 15, 2008, 01:34 AM
I hate it when someone "pulls my covers!" :p I feel naked, but not alone...:eek:

mdgolom
Dec 15, 2008, 07:25 AM
On their articles that seem to be conflict of interest they say, "MSNBC is a joint venture of NBC and Microsoft." :D

I was going to point that out, then I saw your posting.

The only thing I agree with him was the bluetooth. People do look like tools walking around with them all of the time. I think he should replace the MBA with the Zune. Face it, if you have a Zune, you're not cool.:cool:

pilotError
Dec 15, 2008, 08:06 AM

It is completely adequate for its intended purpose. Most folks don't seem to understand its a niche product for a niche market as witnessed by the "I hate the MBA" threads.

As far as this guy is concerned, he's trolling for ratings because his normal writing can't cut it!

andreab35
Dec 15, 2008, 08:21 AM
This was one poor article from this writer.

Come on... a lot of those innovations of technology listed are things that people use and like to their own taste.

1) How could you be a jerk with a Blackberry? A lot of businesses and people can get a lot of things done with them and can stay connected nicely outside of the office. It's better than using a regular cell phone or some little dinky prepaid one.

2) Bluetooth? For I don't personally care for the device- I believe it is a slight less of a distraction than holding your phone next to your ear while driving. And, about those "cellular waves" to your brain- that can give you a bit of prevention.

3) TiVo is awesome. It's like a convenient TV and it refrains you from freaking out if you missed something important on TV.

4) MBA... I'm not going to say anything. That's plain mean.

5) iPod accessories... many of them are cool. Nobody looks dumb. It's their own style: respect that.

6) Linux has come a far into OS distributions. I give them a lot of credit. There shouldn't be any downing on this huge community of developers. They put in a lot of hard work and effort.

7) Segway... no comment.

----

This guy probably lives in some little shack with nothing and he's jealous. Technology is what partially makes the world go round here!

Who's a jerk:
- This writer
- Microsoft
- Microsoft
- Microsoft

Take that.

lol :D

The Toddfather
Dec 15, 2008, 08:21 AM
It is completely adequate for its intended purpose. Most folks don't seem to understand its a niche product for a niche market as witnessed by the "I hate the MBA" threads.

As far as this guy is concerned, he's trolling for ratings because his normal writing can't cut it!

Amen. People have different needs, so they purchase computers, cars, homes, etc. to meet those needs. Calling someone a jerk for buying something he does not care for exposes his intellect, or lack thereof.

sanPietro98
Dec 15, 2008, 08:45 AM
With the exception of the Segway. Each one of the listed gadgets is a direct or indirect disruptive technology to Microsoft. Bias anyone?

morespce54
Dec 15, 2008, 09:27 AM

What? I never knew MSNBC was doing journalism... :eek:
Dang. So that's what they do... :rolleyes:

sangosimo
Dec 15, 2008, 09:35 AM
Face it, if you have a Zune, you're not cool.:cool: what is wrong with the zune? Most people I know that has one bought it after alot of research. Anyone one with a zune becomes technology pariah. The zune has alot a features and good alternative to the ipod classic in pretty much every way.

@ andreab35 uhh the article definitely had a "cool if" and "not cool" notes under each section that address all your comments.

This guy is just grumpy because all of his friends and family have macbook airs and he is stuck with a POS microslop winblowz PC that falls apart in his hands.

BTW, a lot of people find 500 HP in a car overkill, but there is a group of people who will pay for it, regardless of the other features the car may or may not have, just like the slim-factor of the Macbook Air.

lol. I love my windows box. I love the look of the macbook air but it is underwhelming in nearly every other respect but the second gen fixed some of the issues.

Tallest Skil
Dec 15, 2008, 09:37 AM
With the exception of the Segway. Each one of the listed gadgets is a direct or indirect disruptive technology to Microsoft. Bias anyone?

Woz has a Segway. Woz started Apple. Thus, disruptive to Microsoft. It all fits.

GoCubsGo
Dec 15, 2008, 10:15 AM
Well I a giant jerk so I guess it is rather fitting that I own a MB Air.

Mactagonist
Dec 15, 2008, 10:16 AM
Well I a giant jerk so I guess it is rather fitting that I own a MB Air.

You jerk, that is what I came here to say. :cool:

GoCubsGo
Dec 15, 2008, 10:48 AM
You jerk, that is what I came here to say. :cool:

I am glad that is out in the open. There are many more colorful names that you can call me that also apply. But you may want to do it in a PM so you don't get tossed in time out. ;)

IJ Reilly
Dec 15, 2008, 10:49 AM
You are what you buy. Everybody knows that. Today, I am a loaf of bread.

Cynicalone
Dec 15, 2008, 10:57 AM
You are what you buy. Everybody knows that. Today, I am a loaf of bread.

Well then I'm a Venti Cup of Christmas Blend coffee. :D

To me the Air fits my needs perfectly. When I'm on the go I don't need FW 400/800, multiple USB ports etc. etc. If I did I would buy a MacBook Pro or something similar.

notjustjay
Dec 15, 2008, 11:00 AM
Well, thank you, MSNBC, for telling me how to look cool.

I'll ask my mom to take me to the mall later so I can buy a pair of those awesome new skate shoes, too. I'll be the envy of the whole class.

Oh, wait, I forgot, I'm not in junior high school anymore.

mac jones
Dec 15, 2008, 11:02 AM
Seems to me there are some pretty darn good deals on Rev1 Air's these days.

I 'Jerk' you not.

64GB SSDs sells on ebay for around $1300.

Go for it :)

madmaxmedia
Dec 15, 2008, 11:09 AM
I don't think the article is meant to be taken too seriously, some of it was funny.

Plus, who doesn't love this guy (his MBA is below the photo, on his lap.)

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photo/_new/Brill-tech-081023-intro-1p.hmedium.jpg

sangosimo
Dec 15, 2008, 11:18 AM
I don't think the article is meant to be taken too seriously, some of it was funny.

that picture reminds me of jeremy clarkson's "bmw" driver?

Eric S.
Dec 15, 2008, 11:19 AM
I agree 100%. Well, not with the jerk part, but with the "elegantly designed, under-featured, overpriced" part.

pprior
Dec 15, 2008, 11:30 AM
Anybody who disses TiVO by definition is a twit. That whole article is a total waste of time. I can't believe people actually get paid for that kind of blather, and even more I can't believe MSNBC is still in business.

IJ Reilly
Dec 15, 2008, 11:36 AM
Well then I'm a Venti Cup of Christmas Blend coffee. :D

Call me a cab!

danny_w
Dec 15, 2008, 12:44 PM
Well, they did get one thing right: bluetooth headsets. They certainly have their place, but not in public where you look like you are talking to yourself, very loudly, with no regard whatsoever for others around you. Anybody that fits this scenario, whether they normally are a jerk or not, is certainly one at that moment.

ibosie
Dec 15, 2008, 02:17 PM
Well, they did get one thing right: bluetooth headsets. They certainly have their place, but not in public where you look like you are talking to yourself, very loudly, with no regard whatsoever for others around you. Anybody that fits this scenario, whether they normally are a jerk or not, is certainly one at that moment.

I don't care much what other people think, but I have to admit every bluetooth headset I've seen makes the wearer look ridiculous - I'm so embarrassed for them I have to pretend I'm not looking! Apple's device is small enough to alleviate some of this but it's got a tiny volume, dreadful sound quality and well, doesn't work whenever you need it too.

My Macbook Air sits quietly at work amongst a plethora of desktop PCs. Everyone loves it, jaws drop and I'm not even bothered what they think.

danny_w
Dec 15, 2008, 02:30 PM
I don't care much what other people think, but I have to admit every bluetooth headset I've seen makes the wearer look ridiculous - I'm so embarrassed for them I have to pretend I'm not looking! Apple's device is small enough to alleviate some of this but it's got a tiny volume, dreadful sound quality and well, doesn't work whenever you need it too.

My Macbook Air sits quietly at work amongst a plethora of desktop PCs. Everyone loves it, jaws drop and I'm not even bothered what they think.
I wasn't referring to looks at all, just the generally rude/jerky behaviour. The smallest and most unobtrusive headset in the world would make no difference.

mac 2005
Dec 15, 2008, 02:42 PM
He's just jealous that:

1. He can't afford it.
2. He's too stupid to know its target market.

Wow! Talk about your room full of thin-skinned people.

That said:

1. Everything on the list is easily affordable. With the exception, of course, of the Segway. If you own one of those, you're not necessarily a jerk: You're lazy and frivolous with your money.
2. The reporter knows the "target market." The intended audience, meanwhile, consists of a) people who would find it funny and share it with their friends and b) people who would take it personally and share it with their friends. Either way, the article is read more, and page views for the advertisers go up as a result. And they, my friend, the advertisers, they are the "target market."

rs7
Dec 15, 2008, 02:42 PM

With the exception of the Segway? Obviously you haven't heard of the soon to be released Microsoft Windows Vista: Wheely Thing Edition. They haven't worked out all the kinks yet though. ;)

IJ Reilly
Dec 15, 2008, 03:20 PM
With the exception, of course, of the Segway. If you own one of those, you're not necessarily a jerk: You're lazy and frivolous with your money.

So much better.

butterfly0fdoom
Dec 15, 2008, 03:25 PM
Why isn't the Zune on the list? Oh wait, it's MSNBC...

tubbymac
Dec 15, 2008, 04:04 PM
Why isn't the Zune on the list? Oh wait, it's MSNBC...

The Zune isn't on the list because nobody has actually seen anybody willing to pull out their Zune in public.

Cheffy Dave
Dec 15, 2008, 04:48 PM

OK I'm laughing:D:D:D especially El Jobso in the reflection

nick9191
Dec 15, 2008, 05:21 PM
Inadequate about what? That its faster, thinner, lighter, and cheaper than its competitors? Or that it doesn't have a million USB ports which we all use whilst traveling around.

mlblacy
Dec 15, 2008, 05:52 PM
I'm a jerk and I really want one. There's some merit in the article.

***** brilliant, lol...

mlblacy
Dec 15, 2008, 05:53 PM

But to the writer...

mlblacy
Dec 15, 2008, 05:56 PM
I feel like a prick when I plop down at the local cafe amongst a sea of black and white MBs. Then I get over it.

yes... maybe so... but take heart because rumor has it it beats Enzyte for "male enhancement". So therefore you are a bigger prick... lol

mlblacy
Dec 15, 2008, 05:57 PM

I love to watch TIVO while scooting around on my Segway...

mlblacy
Dec 15, 2008, 06:01 PM

On a serious note I disagree. When I bought my Air, the alums were not out. Just goes to show one shops for the devices that they have, not the ones you wish they had. My aplogies to Donald Rumsfeld.

Eric S.
Dec 15, 2008, 09:41 PM
On a serious note I disagree. When I bought my Air, the alums were not out. Just goes to show one shops for the devices that they have, not the ones you wish they had. My aplogies to Donald Rumsfeld.

The old Macbooks beat the Air too.

Molopo
Dec 15, 2008, 10:03 PM
It's a good thing we know better than to let the media shape our opinions.:rolleyes::p

ironic much?

NT1440
Dec 15, 2008, 10:04 PM
The old Macbooks beat the Air too.

point being?

jdwingnut
Dec 15, 2008, 10:15 PM
[citation needed]

Soooo, what'd I miss here. Must have been good.

Molopo
Dec 15, 2008, 10:20 PM
Wow, I just read the entire article and it is full of fail. I don't think the author realizes that offending people can sometimes detract from the overall humor of an essay...

Roadking
Dec 15, 2008, 10:27 PM
I want one. I just don't have the money for three laptops. I wouldn't mind someone calling me a jerk if someone gave me one.

Eric S.
Dec 15, 2008, 11:01 PM
point being?

There was never any reason to buy the Air, unless the reason was something other than getting more features and better performance for a lower price.

NT1440
Dec 15, 2008, 11:02 PM
There was never any reason to buy the Air, unless the reason was something other than getting more features and better performance for a lower price.
OR

You like the air and wish to buy it.....

You realize its a niche product right?

sangosimo
Dec 15, 2008, 11:04 PM

how does a product being a niche device protect it from criticism. The zune is a niche product and has been bashed every single day.

NT1440
Dec 15, 2008, 11:07 PM
how does a product being a niche device protect it from criticism. The zune is a niche product and has been bashed every single day.
hes saying that there is no reason for buying it unless its for "other reasons" which going in the thread i take to mean fashion statement or somthing of that nature.

People buy products because they want them. Zune included.

Eric S.
Dec 15, 2008, 11:17 PM
OR

You like the air and wish to buy it.....

And exactly what is that niche? Slower CPU, fewer ports, less connectivity, less disk capacity, and overpriced?

I guess you have to either really like that sharp aluminum look, or really appreciate carrying around half a pound less weight.

NT1440
Dec 15, 2008, 11:19 PM
And exactly what is that niche? Slower CPU, fewer ports, less connectivity, less disk capacity, and overpriced?

I guess you have to either really like that sharp aluminum look, or really appreciate carrying around half a pound less weight.

Good god, its a satelite computer. Yes you can get them cheaper, that doesnt change what it is.

Saying there is no reason to buy it is just plain lying, maybe reasons you dont like or agree with, but your not part of that niche then are you?

Eric S.
Dec 15, 2008, 11:59 PM
Saying there is no reason to buy it is just plain lying,

I didn't say there was no reason. Just no intelligent reason.

maybe reasons you dont like or agree with, but your not part of that niche then are you?

Obviously not part of the niche that has bought the hype about this thing.

NT1440
Dec 16, 2008, 12:03 AM

Obviously not part of the niche that has bought the hype about this thing.

Dear lord.

So someone looking for a slim, lightweight satellite computer to their say, imac, has no intelligent reason?

You seem to be insulting everyone that bought one, and there are hundreds on this forum alone that will tell you how useful it is FOR THEIR NEEDS.

sangosimo
Dec 16, 2008, 12:11 AM
the macbook air is nice, and there are practical reasons to buy it.

petermcphee
Dec 16, 2008, 12:14 AM
My friend's wife has an Air, and she seems quite pleased with it. Her biggest challenge was finding a slim sleeve that would accommodate the USB cd-drive. That's a good problem to have.

Eric S.
Dec 16, 2008, 12:39 AM
the macbook air is nice, and there are practical reasons to buy it.

What are the practical reasons that would cause you choose one over a Macbook? I'm afraid I don't get it, unless that half pound less is really important.

ridesdeepsnow
Dec 16, 2008, 12:40 AM
here is the link to Daniel Harrison's(author or article) blog

http://morenoisethansignal.blogspot.com/

this guy is certainly a tool
he is a jerk, and angry so he write ******** writing articles to feel like he isnt the only arsehole in the world

certainly a tool
just found the second blog

http://bloggingfordaniels.blogspot.com/

should be called deuchebloggingforalife

Blue Velvet
Dec 16, 2008, 12:46 AM
What are the practical reasons that would cause you choose one over a Macbook? I'm afraid I don't get it, unless that half pound less is really important.

Quit trolling. It's a pound and a half weight's difference which can add up to a lot over the course of a day, especially when you're carrying other stuff. It's unique selling point is its smallness and weight. A lot of people who want one aren't interested in performance and ports... email, web and writing on the go running OS X are perfect for some people.

queshy
Dec 16, 2008, 12:48 AM
Was the original air not also made by the brick process? Am I confused or is the reporter a moron?

sangosimo
Dec 16, 2008, 12:48 AM
I've studied or worked in evolutionary psych. this guys is an expert on jerks, and with these credentials he should not be questioned.

Eric S.
Dec 16, 2008, 01:15 AM
Quit trolling. It's a pound and a half weight's difference which can add up to a lot over the course of a day, especially when you're carrying other stuff. It's unique selling point is its smallness and weight. A lot of people who want one aren't interested in performance and ports... email, web and writing on the go running OS X are perfect for some people.

I'm not trolling. I really want to see what people's reasons are for choosing this product. If the weight (whatever it is) really is the reason, it's about the only one I can see. But it's quite a tradeoff for the steep price increase, lack of connectivity, lack of disk capacity (and I've seen a number of Air owners complain that they hardly have enough disk space left over to do much of anything), and optical drive. You get so much more with a Macbook, for considerably less money, that you really have to consider that extra weight to be a huge drag. In my opinion, people are just sold on the marketing hype coolness factor.

queshy
Dec 16, 2008, 01:26 AM
But what if I don't need an optical drive? I use my MacBook Air for taking notes, surfing the web, getting work done, etc.

The only time I've needed to borrow my iMacs optical drive was to do a clean install when I got it.

Why do I need more than 80 gb? Or more than 2 gb ram? Or a firewire port? Or an ethernet port when I EXCLUSIVELY use my wireless network?

For what it's meant to do, the air is fine. Compared to the MacBook, yes it is underpowered (though the rev 2 Air is a closer match than my rev 1...) - but you're paying for the design. Compared to the white plastic macbook, the air is a completely different animal. I will admit that with the newer MacBook being a lot lighter, it will make the decision harder for some people.

But all I wanted was a super portable machine with a good sized screen and keyboard and the air satisfies that demand. I end up taking the computer everywhere because of its weight and dimensions and am very productive with it. The screen is gorgeous, too, and far better than the MacBook screen (why don't they use the same screen? perhaps to cut costs?).

Blue Velvet
Dec 16, 2008, 01:27 AM
I'm not trolling.

Yes you are. First, you misrepresent the weight differences. Then you say there is no intelligent reason for buying one, implying that those who bought one are stupid and have bought into the hype.

As I was queuing at the till at a nearby department store to buy some blank DVDs recently, I watched someone buy one at a nearby department store. They were a reasonably well-off middle aged couple, judging by their appearance, and they were taken by its size and weight. This thing slips easily into a briefcase or other light bag.

I used to carry around my BlackBook and even that got annoying after a day of carrying it around a busy city in a single-handed carry case, getting on and off trains while also carrying work and also my bag... and it was overkill for that purpose. For those who have the money, the MBA makes a perfect secondary computer or netbook. People don't necessarily buy on tech specs alone and they have their own entirely valid reasons for doing so.

queshy
Dec 16, 2008, 01:31 AM
Yes you are. First, you misrepresent the weight differences. Then you say there is no intelligent reason for buying one, implying that those who bought one are stupid and have bought into the hype.

As I was queuing at the till at a nearby department store to buy some blank DVDs recently, I watched someone buy one at a nearby department store. They were a reasonably well-off middle aged couple, judging by their appearance, and they were taken by its size and weight. This thing slips easily into a briefcase or other light bag.

I used to carry around my BlackBook and even that got annoying after a day of carrying it around a busy city in a single-handed carry case, getting on and off trains while also carrying work and also my bag... and it was overkill for that purpose. For those who have the money, the MBA makes a perfect secondary computer or netbook. People don't necessarily buy on tech specs alone and they have their own entirely valid reasons for doing so.

Agreed and well said. The MBA is much more than the sum of its parts...and while the BlackBook is not a particularly heavy notebook, compared to the Air it is. So it's up to the consumer to decide if optical drives, storage, and ports are more important than form factor. It used to be and still is a very common practice that consumers just look at the specs sheet and don't even bother examining the computer (I worked at a big box store and so I experienced this first hand). And besides, if you can afford a MacBook, paying extra for the Air (if the purchase is justified, anyway), shouldn't bankrupt you, and if it does, you should rethink the MacBook purchase you were about to make.

The Air is very popular among students at my university - not nearly as popular as the MacBook / Pro, but it pops up way more often than I thought it would because people are attracted to its size. When your bag is loaded with books, and then your laptop doesn't fit in, it's very frustrating. Now, the air takes up almost no space in my bag :)

Blue Velvet
Dec 16, 2008, 01:37 AM
...while the BlackBook is not a particularly heavy notebook, compared to the Air it is.

For some women, especially when they have one bag full of books and proofs, and another bag full of girly stuff... trying to push their way through the crowds of London, the MacBook soon becomes a drag to carry around. I've never personally needed to burn a DVD on the go.

xDYLANx
Dec 16, 2008, 04:16 AM
the MBA is pretty, but if I'm spending all this money on a computer, I want something fully featured. Now say...I win the lottery. I would buy one, but it wouldn't be my main computer...iMac as my hub, MBA as my portable.

netdog
Dec 16, 2008, 04:24 AM
Gee, I feel just terrible about myself after reading that article. Shame on me.

IJ Reilly
Dec 16, 2008, 10:33 AM
For some women, especially when they have one bag full of books and proofs, and another bag full of girly stuff... trying to push their way through the crowds of London, the MacBook soon becomes a drag to carry around. I've never personally needed to burn a DVD on the go.

Yeah, maybe, but clearly it's not fully geek-compliant. And that's just the kiss o' death as far as the geeks are concerned -- because as every geek knows, if you're not a true geek, you're unworthy.

The Toddfather
Dec 16, 2008, 11:04 AM

A dishonest troll to boot.

NC MacGuy
Dec 16, 2008, 11:09 AM
I can't figure out why I've been ignoring this thread? It looks to have gotten tasty...;) Especially a good read since I've bought two of the things. Now I feel extra jerky and stupid.:)

IJ Reilly
Dec 16, 2008, 11:09 AM
I don't think it's trolling so much as assuming that one's own personal preference = truth. There's a lot of it about. Sadly.

savar
Dec 16, 2008, 11:11 AM

This guy is wrong on every account. Watching my tivo at home makes me look like a jerk? In front of who?

Using a blackberry makes somebody a jerk? Bluetooth headsets? LINUX!?

This guy is off his rocker. I don't understand how people get paid to write stuff like this. It isn't a talent; it doesn't require any training or knowledge.

I thought MSNBC was a news organization?

NC MacGuy
Dec 16, 2008, 11:28 AM

You've got to be kidding.:eek:

danny_w
Dec 16, 2008, 11:28 AM
This guy is wrong on every account. Watching my tivo at home makes me look like a jerk? In front of who?

This guy is off his rocker. I don't understand how people get paid to write stuff like this. It isn't a talent; it doesn't require any training or knowledge.

Talking on your bluetooth headset in public, esp. to the exclusion of others? Definitely. The others, not so much. And he never mentioned using your Tivo, but about constantly talking about it.

paulyras
Dec 16, 2008, 12:05 PM
just found the second blog

http://bloggingfordaniels.blogspot.com/

should be called deuchebloggingforalife

Does the fact that he says "Yay!" in at least his two most recent blog posts remind anyone else of Special Ed from Crank Yankers?

mlblacy
Dec 16, 2008, 01:51 PM
I'm not trolling. I really want to see what people's reasons are for choosing this product. If the weight (whatever it is) really is the reason, it's about the only one I can see. But it's quite a tradeoff for the steep price increase, lack of connectivity, lack of disk capacity (and I've seen a number of Air owners complain that they hardly have enough disk space left over to do much of anything), and optical drive. You get so much more with a Macbook, for considerably less money, that you really have to consider that extra weight to be a huge drag. In my opinion, people are just sold on the marketing hype coolness factor.

Sorry, you get my vote for the troll of the day. Glad to hear it wasn't right for you, so shut up already, lol. The size and weight gains more than made up for any tradeoffs. Furthermore I knew what the downsides were, and thought long and hard about my decision. I never regretted it once after I purchased the air. and I wish I could say that about many of the products I have bought over the years. Also, I never compared the Air against the macbook... I was weighing it against the purchase of a macbook pro. Yes... I KNOW the pro beats the pants off the air (specwise). However, it was never (ever) meant to be a primary workstation... laptops generally suck for extended periods of use, at least for for what I do. I am a designer, and I use it when I travel (and yes, the lack of size & weight IS worth the price of the ticket on that alone). I use it for meetings with clients. I also use it for meetings to power presentations with my Optoma projector. It simply is just about perfect for my needs. Have I missed the disk drive? Nope. I thought about ordering the external drive, but then decided to wait and see if I missed it. I did not. Sorry to come off as harsh (especially on such a light and snarky thread). Why is it that there are a group of folks who endlessly troll on how Apple is so completely wrong in their decisions. I am a long time user, and many times have had to make the leap of faith that losing the floppy was a good thing (iMac), or that a music player really CAN be a game-changing device, or that Apple could make a phone that everyone "wants" (wish I could say that about ANY of the crap Verizon tries to push on me). Coolness was never on my list of buying reasons, I never sit in Starbucks like the folks who always look like they are brokering a mideast peace deal (or whatever it is they are so importantly doing, lol).

peace, michael

justit
Dec 16, 2008, 01:56 PM
look like they are brokering a mideast peace deal

funny! :p

Dr_Maybe
Dec 21, 2008, 06:58 AM

It weighs less. 680g less than a MacBook. (1.5 lbs) It also takes up less space.

Yes, weight and is important when it comes to laptops. I travel with my MBP and now I want a MBA, because the MBP is heavy to carry around for hours at the time along with other stuff. The MBA would be less of a burden.

If you don't mind having a heavy computer, good for you, save some money.

KyPosey
Dec 21, 2008, 07:10 AM
I bought my macbook because i wanted to look rich and cool.

NC MacGuy
Dec 21, 2008, 08:43 AM
I bought my macbook because i wanted to look rich and cool.

MacBook is the plebe of Apple's notebook offerings. sorry - not rich, a little cool.:p

KyPosey
Dec 21, 2008, 08:47 AM
MacBook is the plebe of Apple's notebook offerings. sorry - not rich, a little cool.:p

ha well since i came from a $500 gateway laptop to this...i seem a bit cooler.

fteoath64
Dec 21, 2008, 09:46 AM

Ditto!. It is because he IS the proverbial jerk. He just wanted lots of flame cos its the attention he can get ....:)

queshy
Dec 23, 2008, 12:27 AM
heh i wonder if guy responsible for the article has read this...

lozzy1234567890
Dec 23, 2008, 10:14 AM

LOL, u can see jobs reflection in the screen:D

Kan-O-Z
Dec 23, 2008, 12:17 PM

No...people aren't sold on the marketing hype or coolness...well maybe some are but most of us on this forum are pretty well informed and aware of things. I own a Macbook Pro for over a year now and have analyzed what features are important to me and what features I really use. I don't use the following: Firewire 400, Firewire 800, Optical drive, Express Slot, 3 USB slots(I only use one from time to time to connect a camera or iPhone/iPod), Removable battery(I don't have 2 batteries to swap on the fly). Everything is wireless on my MBP...internet, printing, external HDD. Now if someone came along and told me I could swap all these features out for one the thinnest, lightest, stylish laptops in the world, I would say YES!

The Air works for me. There is a big difference between an Air and a Macbook/Macbook Pro...go check them out at an Apple store. It's the difference between lugging along a big fat book everywhere you go ... or simply a magazine that you can stuff into any bag.

Kan-O-Z

jeffdc5
Dec 25, 2008, 08:51 AM
Wow look at this want to be hipster "lets hate on anything that a lot of people are into" Why can't people understand that apple can charge a premium for their products because they WORK I want my technology to work not hope it doesn't crash on me and screw me over.

andyOSX
Dec 25, 2008, 03:35 PM
If you don't understand why people would choose the MBA over the MB already then I don't think you will ever "get it".

Sehnsucht
Dec 25, 2008, 03:44 PM

Hmmm...and since when do we care what a news organization owned by Micro$oft has to say? :D

Well to be fair: I'm really not a fan of the Air...it is underpowered for what I need it to do, not to mention no optical drive. Having said that, the fact remains that Micro$oft is full of ****** and jealousy when it comes to Apple products. Check out this piece of slanted bulls**t "news" article/Zune advertisement that they recently coughed out:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/why-the-ipod-is-doomed.aspx

"Why the iPod is doomed." Yeah, don't you tards wish! :D

Sehnsucht
Dec 25, 2008, 07:08 PM
On a side note, who wants to register microsoftrumors.com ? :D

"Microsoft files for bankruptcy." :D

alphaod
Dec 28, 2008, 09:27 AM
How did MSNBC know I like jerking?