Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
So now that I want to expand in photography some, I was offered to be a photographer at a FOX event in downtown Atlanta, shooting outside, 75% of all the photos came out insanely dark, due to stock flash of course. When I went inside it was fine, but then I used my friends SB-600 and some photos came out insanely bright, but after turning it down it was OK. But then some people recommended the SB-400, and since I'm a college student, I need what will work best for what I do (outside, portrait, and event freelance) cause I'm not a man of money.

So should I go with the SB-600 or 400?
http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/productdetail.asp?productid=2082&refid=froogle
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SB-400-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229282361&sr=8-1

slick316

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Thats what I figured, I may just go with that.

I have both, and I suggest the SB600. Its much more versatile. I do like the SB400 because its compact and powerful, but unless you can always just point the flash upwards when shooting, its not going to always cut it.

Spend the money, get the SB600.

Andrew D.

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
My vote goes for the SB-600. I purchased the SB-400 thinking it'll suffice for all kinds of photography, boy was I wrong. I ended up returning it and upgrading to a SB-600.

I used the SB-600 for a long while until I retired it due to some hot shoe problems for an SB-800. I've been harassing my SB-800 like no other. So with that said, if you can put down a little extra for the SB-800, I would highly recommend doing so. Otherwise, the SB-600 is an excellent choice.

As for diffusers/soft boxes.. the simple and easy rubber band and index card works best to bounce the light. Or for a few bucks just drop it for a Stofen Diffuser or a little extra more.. Gary Fong's Lightsphere. Cheers to all!

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Since you haven't mentioned size (which can be a very persuasive argument for the SB-400, that's the reason why I got one), go for the SB-600. It's more powerful (although I find the SB-400 plenty powerful for almost all typical indoor situations) and more versatile.

I went for the SB-400 for its size and sufficient amount of power. I can now fit three lenses, a body and a flash into one relatively small camera bag :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.