Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bostic220

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Atlanta
Ok, for Christmas, I am getting the new Aluminum Macbook and one of the accessories that I will be getting with it is VMWare Fusion 2.0. I was wondering if Fusion would allow me to play windows games on my mac such as the Orange Box, Starcraft, Crysis,etc. Again, I apologize if this is obvious, but I am new to Mac, though very excited about getting one.:D

10-yr-old-coder

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2008
about the emulator...

do you have a choice? Well.. if you do then I suggest getting parallels because we have it and it is great for gaming and other stuff like coding and html and whatnot... But.. If you don't have a choice well then VMware fusion is great and can play 3d games very smoothy! :D

bostic220

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Atlanta
Ive done research on Fusion, Parallels, and Bootcamp, and Fusion seems to be the unanimous choice as far as performance and user interface.

BayouBengal

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Houston,TX
Ok, for Christmas, I am getting the new Aluminum Macbook and one of the accessories that I will be getting with it is VMWare Fusion 2.0. I was wondering if Fusion would allow me to play windows games on my mac such as the Orange Box, Starcraft, Crysis,etc. Again, I apologize if this is obvious, but I am new to Mac, though very excited about getting one.:D

Most Starcraft discs have both the PC and MAC versions on it, I know mine does. Blizzard has released a Intel Mac installer as the version right off the CD would need to be run in classic mode which the Intel Macs don't support.

For any games needing much horsepower you should look at running Windows with Bootcamp.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ive done research on Fusion, Parallels, and Bootcamp, and Fusion seems to be the unanimous choice as far as performance and user interface.

Are you saying the Fusion provides native Windows performance and just as good compatibility as playing over Bootcamp/WXP?
Thanks!

BayouBengal

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Houston,TX
Are you saying the Fusion provides native Windows performance and just as good compatibility as playing over Bootcamp/WXP?
Thanks!

A virtual environment will never have full native performance. It's just the nature of the beast. Now certain virtual environment could have better performance over others perhaps.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I use Bootcamp, and have no issues with it, other than the fact that when you first install it youll have to spend a day updating all the drivers.
I use crossover for some other small windows games

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
I've used both Fusion and Parallels and have found Fusion to be better overall, there also seem to be quite a few disgruntled users of Parallels 4. Fusion is fine for older games, Dawn of War, Max Payne 2, Bloodrayne 2 all run. For games like Crysis you are going to have to Bootcamp as Fusion is a virtual machine and will take too much of a performance hit to run the latest, greatest stuff. Basically, for light use and no need to reboot go for fusion, for heavyweight use go for Bootcamp.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
New Parallels 4 blows Fusion out of the water on performance and it has less overhead than Safari now. The Parallels team has gone to great lengths to improve their product, and it shows.

yatman

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
Not enough power

The games are gonna suck because in a virtualized mode, you're not going to get the best performace - especially a game like Crysis which already requires a really high end video card to turn on all the special effects.

I have a 1950XT ATI card on my PC and it doesn't handle all the effects turned on. I can't imagine what a macbook pro would do in a virtual environment but I can guarantee it's not going to be fun.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
you have to bootcamp for games.
you cant compare VMWare/parallels/xover with bootcamp
bootcamp actually means running windows natively,
meaning, no resources are used for OS X a that particular moment

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.