PDA

View Full Version : 10.5.6 support four fingers swipe for MBA ver1?

vtec96
Dec 15, 2008, 12:50 PM
Does 10.5.6 support four fingers swipe for MBA Ver1?

6SSD4
Dec 15, 2008, 01:15 PM
I'm also curious about this, though I highly doubt it.

jtamac
Dec 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
It did not enable 4 finger gestures on my MBA v1 (1.6/80).

6SSD4
Dec 15, 2008, 01:26 PM
Well.. As predicted. I think Apple should care as much for those who payed 1800-2600 for their mac 10 months ago as for those who did it the last couple weeks.

Maybe they just haven't been able to do it yet.

yellow
Dec 15, 2008, 01:27 PM
Does the hardware support 4-fingered swipe?
If it did, I'm pretty sure Apple would have it in there for you.

Schtumple
Dec 15, 2008, 01:29 PM
Does the hardware support 4-fingered swipe?
If it did, I'm pretty sure Apple would have it in there for you.

The hardware does, there's a hack that enables it, but apple isn't allowing older models to have the feature, I guess it's a big selling point for the new machines...

yellow
Dec 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
That's a cheap trick.

Kind of like how ridiculously heavy the MBA box is, just to feign how "light" the MBA is.

fyrefly
Dec 15, 2008, 04:47 PM
The hardware does, there's a hack that enables it, but apple isn't allowing older models to have the feature, I guess it's a big selling point for the new machines...

I wonder if we can still hack 10.5.6 to get the 4-finger swipe on revA MBA's?

I only got it to work on my RevA by installing a Unibody MacBook build of the OS onto my Air. Dunno if I can just hack the same plist file to get it to work again? If not, I may not update to 10.5.6. I use the 4-finger-swipe a fair bit.

gotzero
Dec 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
This is incredibly disappointing. This should have been added as a future build feature the second it was proven to work.

I am not going to take the loss on my machine just to have a this feature (I have enough storage for what I want to do now, the graphics are fine, and I could care less about the glossy ACD), and I am a little afraid to reinstall OSX after I FINALLY have my Vista partition working as I want.

airtime!
Dec 15, 2008, 07:30 PM
i did not have 4 finger gestures when i got my mac 3 weeks ago but now i have updated to 10.5.6 i have them!!!!

To confirm, updating to 10.5.6 enabled 4 finger gestures which i previously did not have

gcmexico
Dec 15, 2008, 09:32 PM
i did not have 4 finger gestures when i got my mac 3 weeks ago but now i have updated to 10.5.6 i have them!!!!

To confirm, updating to 10.5.6 enabled 4 finger gestures which i previously did not have
no 4 finger swipe for me I just updated to 10.5.6...can you take a screen shot of the 4 finger option?

h1d
Dec 15, 2008, 10:25 PM
Those people who hacked to get 4 finger on rev A said 10.5.6 would make it much easier to do so... Don't really know how it is now, but no 4 finger officially on rev A.

Mactagonist
Dec 15, 2008, 11:35 PM
Those people who hacked to get 4 finger on rev A said 10.5.6 would make it much easier to do so... Don't really know how it is now, but no 4 finger officially on rev A.

Install multiclutch and you can set 3 finger swipe down to expose and more.

Works great, I set it up on the Rev A I passed on to my girlfriend and she has no complaints.

john-
Dec 16, 2008, 12:01 AM
four finger gestures work on my mba rev. a, see this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6765974&postcount=179

h1d
Dec 16, 2008, 01:05 AM
Yeah, I got multiclutch too. It's pretty sweet to use three finger swipe (down and up) in safari, but not for Finder and iTunes, where they could mean alot :( Hopefully Finder becomes cocoa at least to fix it... but 4 finger is very nice, instead of taking the cursor to the far end.

wkw
Dec 16, 2008, 01:08 AM

this worked for my rev. a mba 1.8/64ssd

4 finger swipe yay

HiFiGuy528
Dec 16, 2008, 02:11 AM
The instructions are not detailed enough for me. Yes, I am a newbie.

fyrefly
Dec 16, 2008, 09:49 AM

Used that file and the instructions found in that thread - my MBA Rev A 1.6/80GB HDD now has 4-finger again. Sweet. :) 10.5.6 does make it way easier.

Quick instructions:

1. Go to /system/library/extensions/ and copy AppleUSBmultitouch.ktext to somewhere else on your system as a backup. Now delete the original AppleUSBmultitouch.ktext in your extensions folder.

2. Download the file linked in the above post (it's a zip, but it will unzip to a modified AppleUSBmultitouch.ktext

3. Load up terminal (/Applications/Utilities/) and type in "sudo mv" (no quotes) then drag the modified AppleUSBmultitouch.ktext file to the terminal window - it should put the correct file location in there. Then drag the "extensions" folder to the Terminal window - it'll put the right folder location in there.

4. Press return, type in your administrator password and let terminal move the file over.

5. Run Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.

6. Restart.

Worked perfectly for me. Thanks to the poster of the modified ktext :D Saved me from .plist editing myself. :D

HiFiGuy528
Dec 16, 2008, 09:54 AM
So in Terminal, type sudo mv, press enter? Then drag the unzipped AppleUSBmultitouch.ktext file into Terminal screen?

vtec96
Dec 16, 2008, 09:58 AM
woo hoo~~~
I am going to try it tonight :)
Thanks everyone!!

HiFiGuy528
Dec 16, 2008, 09:59 AM
Anyone else tried this?

Is there a reason why we need to mod the Terminal?

kahleeb
Dec 16, 2008, 02:01 PM
This does work but I followed slightly different instructions:

Quick instructions:

1. Go to /system/library/extensions/ and copy AppleUSBmultitouch.ktext to somewhere else on your system as a backup. Now delete the original AppleUSBmultitouch.ktext in your extensions folder.

2. Download the file linked in the above post (it's a zip, but it will unzip to a modified AppleUSBmultitouch.ktext

3. Load up terminal (/Applications/Utilities/) and type in "sudo mv" (no quotes) then drag the modified AppleUSBmultitouch.ktext file to the terminal window - it should put the correct file location in there. Then drag the "extensions" folder to the Terminal window - it'll put the right folder location in there.

4. Press return, type in your administrator password and let terminal move the file over.

4A. Copy the Extensions folder to /system/library/extensions (you should have already deleted the original folder (after you backed it up))

6. Restart.

Enjoy four finger support! You can always install the latest combo update if something breaks.

Thanks to all who wrote the original instructions!

vtec96
Dec 16, 2008, 02:25 PM
um...
so there are many options for you to do it...
Why we need to deal with the Terminal??
Can't we just replace the original file and repair permissions??
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

wkw
Dec 16, 2008, 02:29 PM
um...

Can't we just replace the original file and repair permissions??
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

thats basically what I did and worked for me. running permissions after you drop the file is critical. I didn't do that the 1st time I tried this mod and my kb and trackpad were non functional. I had to plug in externals to fix it. 4FS works great now though.

bill

HiFiGuy528
Dec 16, 2008, 02:47 PM
This does work but I followed slightly different instructions:

Quick instructions:

4A. Copy the Extensions folder to /system/library/extensions (you should have already deleted the original folder (after you backed it up))

6. Restart.

Enjoy four finger support! You can always install the latest combo update if something breaks.

Thanks to all who wrote the original instructions!

You should edit your response to remove line 3 if you didn't go into Terminal.

PepeLePue
Dec 16, 2008, 03:33 PM
Just got it working on my MBA1 by editing the ktext file myself. Seems to work quite well.

Only weird quirk is that the videos that now appear for the trackpad settings are that of the unibody macbook. Might be because I added support for right corner click.

Also I wish I could use spaces with the 4 finger swipe. Its just not coming naturally to me to use expose in this manner

HiFiGuy528
Dec 16, 2008, 03:33 PM
Just did the hack. It worked perfectly. Here are screen shots of before and after. I did not touch Terminal.

Step 1 - Update to 10.5.6

Step 2 - Download and unzip the modified kext file attached to this post

Step 3 - Delete the AppleUSBMultitouch.kext file in System/Library/Extensions (this should require the administrators password)

Step 4 - Put the modified kext file you downloaded at Step 2 in System/Library/Extensions (this should also require the administrators password)

Step 5 - Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder and Repair Disk Permissions of your startup disk (tis may take a couple of minutes)

Step 6 - Restart your Mac

Be sure to save & back-up before the hack.

Before
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148715&d=1229463179

After
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148716&d=1229463179

JavaWizKid
Dec 16, 2008, 03:36 PM
Where is the attached file?

HiFiGuy528
Dec 16, 2008, 03:47 PM
Where is the attached file?

It's on the first page of this thread. First post.

JavaWizKid
Dec 16, 2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks, I've got 4 finger multitouch now, it's great!!! However, will OS X be damaged from any software updates while 4 finger gestures are installed?

PepeLePue
Dec 16, 2008, 05:00 PM
It's a good question JavaWizKid, I hope that updates still replace the file even if it is found to be different than expected.

Might mean we have to edit it with each update, but those are few and far between, and it took me about 10 minutes to do.

justit
Dec 16, 2008, 06:02 PM
will OS X be damaged

not really a question of 'damage' as future updates will most likely overwrite the file, and you would need to repeat the process everytime. Such is the nature of hacks.

HiFiGuy528
Dec 16, 2008, 06:11 PM
10.5.6 is the last of Leopard so I don't think we will run into problems in the future.

h1d
Dec 16, 2008, 06:51 PM
is it? i mean, tiger got updates after leopard was out there too.

airtime!
Dec 16, 2008, 07:11 PM
here is a screenshot of the four finger option in system prefs. Again, i got this option by simply installing 10.5.6. Absolutely no previous mods done. Bought my mac 3 weeks ago.

HiFiGuy528
Dec 16, 2008, 08:10 PM
here is a screenshot of the four finger option in system prefs. Again, i got this option by simply installing 10.5.6. Absolutely no previous mods done. Bought my mac 3 weeks ago.

Do you have the Rev B Air? We are hacking rev A Air.

gcmexico
Dec 16, 2008, 09:34 PM
Used that file and the instructions found in that thread - my MBA Rev A 1.6/80GB HDD now has 4-finger again. Sweet. :) 10.5.6 does make it way easier.

Quick instructions:

6. Restart.

Worked perfectly for me. Thanks to the poster of the modified ktext :D Saved me from .plist editing myself. :D
sweet this worked perfectly!!!! thanks

airtime!
Dec 16, 2008, 10:26 PM
Do you have the Rev B Air? We are hacking rev A Air.

rev b

vtec96
Dec 16, 2008, 10:53 PM
thats basically what I did and worked for me. running permissions after you drop the file is critical. I didn't do that the 1st time I tried this mod and my kb and trackpad were non functional. I had to plug in externals to fix it. 4FS works great now though.

bill

my kb and trackpad were not functional, too!!!

Make sure the modified file is IN the extension folder before you repair permissions!!!!!!

buchacho
Dec 17, 2008, 12:12 AM
Works on my macbook pro early 2008. thanks a bunch!

gotzero
Dec 17, 2008, 01:59 AM
I am now running the four finger gestures. With 10.5.6 it took about 8 minutes, with no aggravation. I am quite happy!

Thanks everyone!

Apple should be embarrassed...

n0de
Dec 17, 2008, 07:40 AM
The instructions above worked well.

I am underwhelmed.

.product
Dec 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
DjAmTraX's instructions are really all you need to do. The earlier instructions using terminal just help with authenticating, since deleting or moving files into /system/ requires you to authenticate.

It works great, and this is a huge improvement over the hack as it was originally posted.

VS007
Dec 17, 2008, 08:29 PM
Just did the hack. It worked perfectly. Here are screen shots of before and after. I did not touch Terminal.

Step 3 - Delete the AppleUSBMultitouch.kext file in System/Library/Extensions (this should require the administrators password)

Step 4 - Put the modified kext file you downloaded at Step 2 in System/Library/Extensions (this should also require the administrators password)

Step 5 - Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder and Repair Disk Permissions of your startup disk (tis may take a couple of minutes)

Thanks!!!

HiFiGuy528
Dec 17, 2008, 11:34 PM
Now it's hard to go back to my WhiteBook. :)

wkw
Dec 18, 2008, 01:48 AM
4fs still working but "secondary click" (at the bottom of the 1 finger settings) doesn't work :(.. oh well

JavaWizKid
Dec 18, 2008, 10:40 AM
It does but you have to click the button while your finger is in the bottom right.

Tifosi Red
Dec 18, 2008, 02:44 PM
Great stuff. 4 fingers working on both the rev A MBA and Penryn MBP. Many Thanks guys!

steven313
Dec 18, 2008, 03:45 PM
I finally have four finger swipe on my rev a. I tried using terminal the first time and after repairing the permissions and restarting, my keyboard and trackpad were useless. :confused: After syncing with my bt keyboard and mouse I just deleted the multitouch file and replaced it with the modified file right in the folder. Before you repair the permissions make sure that the file has made it to the folder. 4FS is quite satisfying. :D Thanks for the guide.

VS007
Dec 18, 2008, 09:40 PM
Dont see much value to 4 finger swipe.
Would have rather preferred if 4 finger up or down would have be top and bottom of page in Safari.

justit
Dec 18, 2008, 10:30 PM
Dont see much value to 4 finger swipe.
Would have rather preferred if 4 finger up or down would have be top and bottom of page in Safari.

Try the new Firefox Beta for that, but 3 finger

janph76
Dec 21, 2008, 09:44 AM
It works great...thank you. Now I no longer envy four-fingers swipe in new MacBook! :)

justit
Dec 21, 2008, 11:06 AM
It works great...thank you. Now I no longer envy four-fingers swipe in new MacBook! :)

What kind of :apple: user are you if you don't always envy the newest? You've broken the Jobs distortion field! :p

janph76
Dec 26, 2008, 01:24 PM
What kind of :apple: user are you if you don't always envy the newest? You've broken the Jobs distortion field! :p

LOL true....but now I love my MBA Rev.A so much more with this option....;)

mjeshurun
Dec 28, 2008, 07:32 AM
Hi Guys,

Will this hack work on the White Macbook (early 2008).
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz , 4Gb RAM , 250 GB HDD.

Thank you and happy new year.

Miki.

iPave
Dec 28, 2008, 10:26 AM
Hi Guys,

Will this hack work on the White Macbook (early 2008).
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz , 4Gb RAM , 250 GB HDD.

Thank you and happy new year.

Miki.

Not gonna work

ClarkeB
Dec 31, 2008, 11:19 AM
I have a Rev. A MacBook Air and want to do this hack, but I went to System/Library and I cannot find the "Extensions" folder (nor can Spotlight). Is it a hidden folder?

Schtumple
Dec 31, 2008, 12:57 PM
Just a word of warning, for some reason my kext must've got corrupted after shutting down, keyboard and trackpad utterly stopped working, luckily I use my wireless keyboard and MM so I easily rectified it, but still, all I did was shut it down, turn it on the next day, boom, nothing...

fyrefly
Jan 2, 2009, 12:04 AM
I have a Rev. A MacBook Air and want to do this hack, but I went to System/Library and I cannot find the "Extensions" folder (nor can Spotlight). Is it a hidden folder?

Make sure it is the MacintoshHD/System/Library you're going into and not the USER/system/Library folder - there are two. And since those are protected system files, they won't show up in spotlight searches.

SFStateStudent
Jan 2, 2009, 02:59 AM
Make sure it is the MacintoshHD/System/Library you're going into and not the USER/system/Library folder - there are two. And since those are protected system files, they won't show up in spotlight searches.

+1 ^^^ Been there done that...:eek:

Thanks, all is fine:cool:

dsevo
Feb 9, 2009, 08:38 PM
I just used the instructions and it worked first try. I'm a complete Mac newbie too, lol.

rohan.shah020
May 4, 2011, 11:57 AM

Before
Image (http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148715&d=1229463179)

After
Image (http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=148716&d=1229463179)

would this work for snow leopard or only leopard?

MultiFinder17
May 4, 2011, 01:11 PM
would this work for snow leopard or only leopard?

Only Leopard. Snow Leopard enables all of the gestures for the Rev. A anyway AFAIK, so it shouldn't be needed.

Bakari45
May 4, 2011, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but BetterTouchTool allows you to do four finger swipes and tons of other gestures. It makes Apple's gestures seem amateurish.

rohan.shah020
May 9, 2011, 08:31 AM
Only Leopard. Snow Leopard enables all of the gestures for the Rev. A anyway AFAIK, so it shouldn't be needed.

Yeah, but I have an old 2008 2.4ghz macbook and i don't have 3 and 4 finger gestures... we established that the trackpad was capable of supporting them, so is there a way to unlock?

alpgiray
Jul 26, 2011, 05:33 AM
i have mb 2.1 model 2008 two finger scroll, i use lion. can we get and new next for lion ? are the developers working on it ?