Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

és:

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Whilst I like film, especially for comedy, I don't believe it can touch TV shows for character story, depth or story. I've become a massive fan of TV Shows over the last couple of years. The US has this locked down, as far as I'm concerned. In England it is rare to have a Drama series that touches the quality of the US shows. My favorites are probably 'The West Wing' and 'Six Feet Under'.

The problem is that in my search for the best TV series, I've watched a lot of the classics and have become a bit of a TV Show nazi and can't stand bad writing - so what is next?

The West Wing - Done
The Sopranos - Done
Six Feet Under - Done
The Shield - Done
24 - U2D*
Heroes - U2D
Lost - U2D
Dexter - U2D
Grey's Anatomy - U2D
Dirty Sexy Money - U2D
Life - U2D
Chuck - U2D
Prison Break - U2D
Two And A Half Men - U2D

* Up to date.

Those are the ones that I can think of, there might be some others that I've omitted. However, I need my next marathon of TV shows! The ones that jump to mind are 'Deadwood', 'The Wire' (which I watched 2 episodes of and didn't like but have since been told by everyone that it's amazing) and I've even been recommended 'Entourage' - and I have no idea what that is.

Any ideas?

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
If you are in the UK i am not sure what is available.

if you like comedy, i think "The IT Crowd" is brilliant. I am told that "Father Ted" is as well.

Would also very highly recommend "Sport Night" - it was one of Aaron Sorkin's first series - exceptional. "The Wire" is incredible but you need to get thru the first couple of episodes to get into it.

"Arrested Development" is one of the best comedies, hands down.

Have not watched it yet, but apparently "Mad Men" is incredible.

és:

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Battlestar Galactica.

Interesting. I've just looked it up, assuming that it was really old but it seems to be current. Si-Fi.

I might check that out.

Would also very highly recommend "Sport Night" - it was one of Aaron Sorkin's first series - exceptional.

Is it fast paces like The West Wing and Studio 60? I loved, truly loved, The West Wing - so I'll definitely be looking that up.

"The Wire" is incredible but you need to get thru the first couple of episodes to get into it.

Yeah. I've heard that at least 10 times. I'm going to force myself to buy the first season on DVD and then I can't let it slip from my grasp.

Have not watched it yet, but apparently "Mad Men" is incredible.

I've heard of it but not seen any of it. Another one to add to my list.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
images
images
images
images
images

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
OK here are a few:
UK
Shameless
The Inbetweeners
The IT Crowd

US
House M.D
Brothers and Sisters
Desperate Housewives
Brotherhood
Entourage
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Prison Break
'til Death
The Office
30 Rock
My Name Is Earl

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Nip/Tuck- just so over the top.
Entourage - Great HBO series, but most of them are.
Oz - Another great HBO series.
House
30 Rock
Rescue Me

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Interesting. I've just looked it up, assuming that it was really old but it seems to be current. Si-Fi.

I might check that out.

If you like Sci-Fi, Battlestar G is where it's at! Great writing (mostly) and excellent action. Make sure you don't get the 70's version by mistake...

As far as current shows, those mentioned by others are all pretty good.

Check out NBC's Life. It's a cool, hip and edgy show. The lighter side of crime fighting, not a comedy, per se, but it's got some hilarious moments and great characters.

és:

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
If you like Sci-Fi, Battlestar G is where it's at! Great writing (mostly) and excellent action. Make sure you don't get the 70's version by mistake...

Yeah, definitely on the list now.

Check out NBC's Life. It's a cool, hip and edgy show. The lighter side of crime fighting, not a comedy, per se, but it's got some hilarious moments and great characters.

Yep, I'm up to date with life. Damien Lewis is an exquisite actor and Sarah Shahi si stunning.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
Is it fast paces like The West Wing and Studio 60? I loved, truly loved, The West Wing - so I'll definitely be looking that up.

yes it is - and if you loved the west wing you should also love sports night - maybe even more.

for an opposite of that, you could look at "twin peaks" - slow but brilliant in its own way. if you like complexity and something really well written it is great.

"mr show" is another genius comedy.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
Check out some preview ep rips on projectfreetv.co.uk

Entourage is a sometimes comedic capture of the larger than life moviestar persona of Vincent Chase, his brother Johnny Drama, friend Turtle, and manager Eric Murphy. Turtle has a name but I'll let you watch all five seasons to find out what it is. Jeremy Piven is the real shining star as Ari Gold, Hollywood super agent. The boys are from Queens, living the life and struggling to make it at times. Its lighter than the other two programs.

Rescue Me is a fireman's drama. Denis Leary stars as Tommy Gavin, recovering alcoholic FDNY firefighter in post-9/11 New York. The crew lost Tommy's cousin Jimmy Keefe in the towers and each of them are dealing with post traumatic stress and family issues in their own way. Tommy has a very close relationship with Jimmy's widow Sheila, and his wife Janet doesn't appreciate that Tommy is always working while she is struggling to raise his two daughters and his son Connor at home alone for extended periods, because of the long hours of the FDNY.

Mad Men is a drama set in 1960s New York, at the Sterling Agency on Madison Avenue. Its a historically accurate take on the high life in the 60s. Drink. Smoke. F*ck. Advertising executives living a fast life in New York, its one of the best shows on basic cable.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The only show I watch outside of really bad crap is Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. I never got much into the other Law & Order series, but I absolutely love SVU. The storylines can get gritty and downright disturbing at times, and some of the twists and turns really catch you off guard.

Of course, it has it's boring or predictable episodes, but those are few and far between.

Unfortunately, I have watched almost every episode from all 10 seasons now within a year, so my viewing has slowed.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Based on your list, I think you'd like Breaking Bad.

I'm something of a TV snob myself and I consider it one of the best shows on TV from the past couple of years, and certainly the single most underrated.

There's only been seven episodes due to the writer's strike, but I believe it's coming back to television soon...

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
Definitely watch Entourage! I started watching it not to long ago and watched seasons 1-4 nonstop along with season 5. And besides, Vincent Chase is hott!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
while it was only on for one season, its definitely worth watching FireFly. one of the best shows ever. imo of course.

liquidtrend

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
HOUSTON, TX
youve already got most of what i would suggest.
and while im thinking about it...i sure hope a new season of dexter comes out.

but you dont have any house?
if youre looking for an interesting story with a great build of characters, house is a must look into!

rageboi

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
* Sex and the City
* Brothers and Sisters
* Dirty, Sexy Money
* Skins (U.K.)

They are on my top list...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.