Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
California
Hey guys well i plan on buying a current gen Mac Mini when the new ones come out at MWSF (that is if they do). I just wanted to know how is video playback / smoothness on a 24" display with the GMA 950?

I at one times hooked up my Black Macbook i had to the monitor and it seemed to be noticeably "laggy" when dragging windows and such. Is the current Mini the same way? If so i guess i will be better off waiting for a (Nvdia 9400m ?) Mac mini that might come at MWSF.

Can't wait to hear back, (crosses fingers)

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Hey guys well i plan on buying a current gen Mac Mini when the new ones come out at MWSF (that is if they do). I just wanted to know how is video playback / smoothness on a 24" display with the GMA 950?

I at one times hooked up my Black Macbook i had to the monitor and it seemed to be noticeably "laggy" when dragging windows and such. Is the current Mini the same way?

The current MacMini is basically an older Macbook.

minicrazy592

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
my Mini is running a 26" at 1360x768 with out any problems. The lag my be due to your refresh rate? Mines at 60 w/o any issues.

twstokes

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
Depends on what you're doing

My Mini is currently driving a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 and I can tell it struggles at times with this resolution.

I don't notice any sort of major lag when dragging windows or anything of that matter. I do, however, notice that it can struggle with Expose (depending on how many windows are open, of course) and Spaces (depending on what's going on in each Space). At times when I've had a lot going on and I invoked Spaces, I noticed a lot of frames being dropped resulting in a not-so-smooth transition.

If the next Minis come with the NVIDIA CPU / GPU combo like the current Macbooks, it will be able to handle this resolution extremely well and everything should be very smooth.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
From Apple
DVI video output to support digital resolutions up to 1920 by 1200 pixels; supports 20-inch Apple Cinema Display and 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display; supports coherent digital displays up to 154MHz; supports noncoherent digital displays up to 135MHz
VGA video output (using included adapter) to support analog resolutions up to 1920 by 1080 pixels

Now, they say that it can handle it, but it may not run well.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
At this point in time, being so close to MacWorld '09, I would wait until the new Mac Mini is released and buy it instead of the current revision. I have nothing against the current Mac Mini, but the new one with its (hopefully) upgraded video card would be more ideal for your use in my opinion. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.