Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cooneyirish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I have several 8 mm tapes that I want to get onto dvd format so I can make dvd's for those on the original tape. This was recorded on a sony camcorder using maxell mp 120 tapes.

what device / hardware do i need to get it from the camcorder into my imac (2 mos old). The camera came with a single 9mm pin that goes from the output of the camcorder that splits into two rca male jacks .

will imovie suffice or is it better quality, more efficient, to use another software for making my own dvd's .
thanks, kevin

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Ok, there are 2 ways to transfer.

First, a Digital 8 Camcorder, simple, u pop in ur old tapes, then via firewire you can transfer them into iMovie.

Second, a device that takes A/V input and has firewire outputs to go to iMovie, I forget the name of the device but this is a possible solution.

Other then that, you cannot simply hook up that camera to the iMac.

MrLatte23

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
Borrow someones DV camcorder...

Most recent DV camcorders have AV > DV converters which allow you to put the camera into "tape" mode plug the analog camera with the Mini-Jack you described into it and then with a Firewire cable, connect the DV camera to your computer. It will pass thru the signal, converting it to DV for iMovie.

There are stand-alone AV to DV converters, but if this is a one-time deal, see if someone has a camcorder that you can borrow or rent. If you're considering buying a camcorder just make sure it has the converter and firewire (IEEE 1394) in/out, most so. If this is a regular occurrence consider something like a Canopus device. http://www.firewire-1394.com/canopus-advc55.htm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.