PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS 10.5.6 Breaks Jailbreaking Tools

MacRumors
Dec 16, 2008, 06:20 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/12/16/mac-os-10-5-6-breaks-jailbreaking-tools/)

iPhone Alley is reporting that updated USB kernel extensions in yesterday's Mac OS 10.5.6 update (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/12/15/apple-releases-mac-os-x-10-5-6/) breaks mac-based iPhone/iPod touch jailbreaking tools (http://www.iphonealley.com/news/warning-mac-update-1056-breaks-dfu-mode-for-iphone-ipod-touch). Workarounds are documented by the Dev-Team blog (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/) and include re-installing the relevant 10.5.5 kernel extensions or using a USB hub.

While many may have lost interest in "jailbreaking" (http://www.macrumors.com/site.php?mode=search&term=jailbreak&submit=Search+Site) their iPhones since Apple has implemented the App Store, the Dev-Team has been responsible for software unlocks of the original iPhone and is working on a software unlock for the iPhone 3G.

Article Link: Mac OS 10.5.6 Breaks Jailbreaking Tools (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/12/16/mac-os-10-5-6-breaks-jailbreaking-tools/)

DanielJvdBerg
Dec 16, 2008, 06:33 AM
I wonder if they did the breaking on purpose.

Kilamite
Dec 16, 2008, 07:05 AM
I wonder if they did the breaking on purpose..

Probably.

But it seems that the next update for jailbreaking after an update breaks it is always only a day or two away.

daveschroeder
Dec 16, 2008, 07:06 AM
I wonder if they did the breaking on purpose..

No, that is very unlikely.

What is more likely that tools using private APIs, hacks, and relying on undocumented methods of interfacing with devices via USB might break when Apple makes changes.

That's the nature of things like this.

Of course, I'm sure a lot of people will think that Apple intentionally and vindictively did this...

daveschroeder
Dec 16, 2008, 07:07 AM
Probably.

No. Probably not, actually.

daneoni
Dec 16, 2008, 07:32 AM
So does anyone have the 10.5.5 kexts...it seems having to use a USB hub isn't the ideal solution...especially for laptops

TheMacBookPro
Dec 16, 2008, 07:39 AM
So does anyone have the 10.5.5 kexts...it seems having to use a USB hub isn't the ideal solution...especially for laptops

Why? Jailbreaking is just a one-time process... unless the update also breaks iTunes support for jailbroken devices? :confused:

longofest
Dec 16, 2008, 07:45 AM
Why? Jailbreaking is just a one-time process... unless the update also breaks iTunes support for jailbroken devices? :confused:

You have to jailbreak each time you update your device I believe.

daveschroeder
Dec 16, 2008, 07:47 AM

Uh, if you need them, why don't you just grab the kexts yourself? It's not like 10.5.5 ceased to exist.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_5_Update

...and I'm not sure why people are so worried about this. Do you have to jailbreak again, today, after updating to 10.5.6? Will there not be updates to the jailbreaking tools to accommodate the kext updates in 10.5.6?

iMacoo7
Dec 16, 2008, 08:18 AM
As always there will be a work around provided by the Dev Team. This is what has made them famous. So they will continue to provide ways around it.

bytethese
Dec 16, 2008, 08:25 AM
While many may have lost interest in "jailbreaking" (http://www.macrumors.com/site.php?mode=search&term=jailbreak&submit=Search+Site) their iPhones since Apple has implemented the App Store

People shouldn't lose interest, especially Law Enforcement. Without Jailbreaking, it would be damn near impossible to forensically recover any data from the phone to prove any possible criminal activity.

daneoni
Dec 16, 2008, 08:45 AM
Uh, if you need them, why don't you just grab the kexts yourself? It's not like 10.5.5 ceased to exist.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_5_Update

...and I'm not sure why people are so worried about this. Do you have to jailbreak again, today, after updating to 10.5.6? Will there not be updates to the jailbreaking tools to accommodate the kext updates in 10.5.6?

I dunno how to

I just got an iPhonw 3G today so its my first time....thats what she said

EDIT: is it possible to downgrade to 10.5.5 without reinstallins the OS...i dont have Time Machine either?

fleshman03
Dec 16, 2008, 09:01 AM
Did the cat just eat the mouse?

Kilamite
Dec 16, 2008, 09:01 AM
EDIT: is it possible to downgrade to 10.5.5 without reinstallins the OS...i dont have Time Machine either?

No.

But an update for jailbreaking will be out either tonight or tomorrow - these guys are really quick at this.

SFStateStudent
Dec 16, 2008, 09:51 AM
Well, my understanding of the whole DFU mode for jailbroke 3G iPhones was already addressed with the use of the USB hub (temporary fix) and that it only applied to the newest unibody MB, MBP and MBA; and all this was prior to Mac OS 10.5.6 being released. :confused: Not too worried, the Dev Team will come through for us redheaded stepchildren...:eek:

This is just one thread a few days ago:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=616476

alexbates
Dec 16, 2008, 10:33 AM
This is what Apple does when someone trys to prevent them from making money...

Mercellus
Dec 16, 2008, 10:52 AM
I just booted my iPhone 3G in DFU mode and iTunes recognized it as such without an issue. I'm using a MacBook Pro (Late 2008) and Mac OS X 10.5.6.

tys
Dec 16, 2008, 10:55 AM

Jailbreaking doesn't prevent them from making money. Or if it does, I don't see how. The only reason to jailbreak is to get features Apple doesn't offer. I still spend WAY too much money in the App Store!
If anything, Apple makes MORE money from me since the jailbreaking makes the iPhone that much more enjoyable to use.

tys

Doctor Q
Dec 16, 2008, 10:56 AM
Followup news: iPhone 3G Unlocked, Software Release on New Years (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/12/16/iphone-3g-unlocked-software-release-on-new-years/).

ryanw
Dec 16, 2008, 11:34 AM
As long as there is no Teather solution nor video recording solution I will have to always jailbreak my iPhone. As soon as there are solutions for those two things, I'm done. Seems completely moronic to lock those two things out of the iPhone. I'm paying a ridiculous amount of money to AT&T for 3G and Video Recording has been on every phone I've had in the last 10 years.

daveschroeder
Dec 16, 2008, 01:20 PM

Wrong.

Also:

We believe this behavior is due to a kernel bug not a specific countermeasure by Apple. (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/65126957/tis-the-season-to-be-jolly)

MikePA
Dec 16, 2008, 01:28 PM

Where would this world be without knee jerk reactions? Ah, to dream.

chr1s60
Dec 16, 2008, 02:54 PM
I remember when jailbreaking the iPhone was once a major upgrade for the iPhone. These days it seems almost pointless to me.

tonyl
Dec 16, 2008, 04:03 PM
Apple's byproduct of updates, who can firmly say it is not intentional? This way can at least deter many Mac users.

HBOC
Dec 16, 2008, 04:25 PM
usb hub deal works. slight inconvenience, but very simple workaround

MikePA
Dec 16, 2008, 06:00 PM
usb hub deal works. slight inconvenience, but very simple workaround
Shhhh, the conspiracy nuts don't want to hear this.

What, what's that sound? It's, it's, oh no, the black helicopters. They're landing, they're jumping out and approaching and they are swinging, what, what, is, that? Black USB cables! No, no, don't plug that into there. OWWWWWWW. They're putting everyone into DFU mode.

djgamble
Dec 17, 2008, 04:01 AM
This post is misleading, I'm surprised it made front page.

The tools aren't broken! You can still jailbreak your phone by either doing a restore or using that quick pwn tool.

The update simply breaks a special “recovery” mode that is not required in order to jailbreak your phone, some people just use it because they’re tech heads that want more control. You don’t need to use this mode in order to jailbreak your iPhone.

The general consensus is that this is due to a bug that Apple introduced, and the easiest fix is to use a USB hub rather than your in-built USB port if you so wish to enter this recovery mode.

qubex
Dec 17, 2008, 05:07 AM
If these tools rely upon undocumented functionality, it's Apple's right to fiddle the inner workings of their OS from time to time. The USB kexks are indeed part of those "inner workings". They probably changed something, either on purpose or by mistake (hence leading to the "bug report"), and now the thing is behaving differently.

I'm guessing that in the privacy of their own minds, they go out of their way to ensure that various updates do not break various jailbreaking etc. tools, because of all the bad publicity they get from the usual trite conspiracy theorists every time that something like this happens.

People, return to plant earth, and learn to think.

SnowLeopard2008
Dec 19, 2008, 08:24 PM
Jailbreaking doesn't prevent them from making money. Or if it does, I don't see how. The only reason to jailbreak is to get features Apple doesn't offer. I still spend WAY too much money in the App Store!
If anything, Apple makes MORE money from me since the jailbreaking makes the iPhone that much more enjoyable to use.

tys

Yea it does. My friends ( cheap asians and ione indian guy, ) all jailbreak and illegally download their songs and apps. They even called me stupid and a liar ( I don't even know why ) for buying things on iTunes, but that's not the point. These days, you can modifiy something on iTunes and the device and you can download apps for free. I'm not going to delve into this process, as it is pirating. But through this, Apple does lose money. Oh, and my friends called me a liar, because I said iillegal downloading of songs and apps is illegal ( very stupid ).

As long as there is no Teather solution nor video recording solution I will have to always jailbreak my iPhone. As soon as there are solutions for those two things, I'm done. Seems completely moronic to lock those two things out of the iPhone. I'm paying a ridiculous amount of money to AT&T for 3G and Video Recording has been on every phone I've had in the last 10 years.

Spell check. "teather" is not even a word. And video recording has NOT been on phones 10 years ago. If so, find one. There aren't even camera lenses on 10 year old phones. But yes, we all desire the tether and video capture capabilities ( not recording, that is a noun, not an adjective ). And it is not moronic, most people don't use capture video that often with their cell phones. That is fact, not opinion. Tethering is viewed as a loss to AT&T and internet companies, since you're paying for unlimited 3G data, and can easily use the tethering app ( netshare ) as your main internet source.

Kilamite
Dec 19, 2008, 08:29 PM
Yea it does. My friends ( cheap asians and ione indian guy, ) all jailbreak and illegally download their songs and apps. They even called me stupid and a liar ( I don't even know why ) for buying things on iTunes, but that's not the point. These days, you can modifiy something on iTunes and the device and you can download apps for free. I'm not going to delve into this process, as it is pirating. But through this, Apple does lose money. Oh, and my friends called me a liar, because I said iillegal downloading of songs and apps is illegal ( very stupid ).

Apple doesn't lose that much money - it is the developers that lose out.

Spell check. "teather" is not even a word. And video recording has NOT been on phones 10 years ago. If so, find one. There aren't even camera lenses on 10 year old phones. But yes, we all desire the tether and video capture capabilities ( not recording, that is a noun, not an adjective ). And it is not moronic, most people don't use capture video that often with their cell phones. That is fact, not opinion. Tethering is viewed as a loss to AT&T and internet companies, since you're paying for unlimited 3G data, and can easily use the tethering app ( netshare ) as your main internet source.

Think he meant to type "tether" instead, don't be so anal about typos. And if you placing so called "facts" about people not using video recording then post us a source, otherwise BS.

moabon.rob
Dec 21, 2008, 05:44 AM
...it is not moronic, most people don't use capture video that often with their cell phones. That is fact, not opinion...

I take it you are unaware of YouTube then?

truz
Dec 21, 2008, 12:39 PM
SnowLeopard2008,
In regards to using your iPhone as a modem, AT&T nor the Internet Companies would lose anything as at&t only allows 5GB of data monthly (sure it says unlimited) but nothing is unlimited. Just like all of these web hosts offering "Unlimited resources" try loading just 1 high end website and watch how fast they shut your account down.

Everything you buy today has strings attached somehow so they don't lose money.

As for video recording. Millions and Millions of phone users record videos! I'm not saying it's used on a daily basis, but millions of users, use there phones to record videos. For you to even say that not many people use the video option is just retarded. That's like saying none of us want Media Messaging!

Apple knows what the people want and it's only a matter of time before they give us what we want.

Copy/Paste
App to use iPhone as Modem
Media Messaging Support (txt pictures/short video clips)
Camcorder App (App like Camera)

These are the most asked for...