Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Before I start, I have had a search but could not find anything so if someone knows of a current thread please direct me to it :)

I have my Apple TV set up with Airport Extreme and Mac Mini through Wireless. I got it connected fine, but if I turn off my apple tv and then back on again iTunes won't find my apple tv unless I restart the program. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Also sometime when I'm watching a Movie or TV Show streamed to Apple TV it just stops and says no content is available on apple tv. To fix this I have to go to iTunes and click sync.
Again any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Before I start, I have had a search but could not find anything so if someone knows of a current thread please direct me to it :)

I have my Apple TV set up with Airport Extreme and Mac Mini through Wireless. I got it connected fine, but if I turn off my apple tv and then back on again iTunes won't find my apple tv unless I restart the program. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Also sometime when I'm watching a Movie or TV Show streamed to Apple TV it just stops and says no content is available on apple tv. To fix this I have to go to iTunes and click sync.

Thanks

Check the AppleTVs IP address in the AppleTV settings screen. If it doesnt start with 192 (I think) then it is configured wrong. Mine was set up wrong and I got loads of problems. I did some digging and I found something at Apple Discussion Forum about the IP address being wrong.

OldGuyDave

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008

Thanks

I set mine to a fixed IP, when I had it on DHCP it kept connecting to the neighbours network that was a stronger signal. :rolleyes:
With a fixed IP everthing works fine now.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
I set mine to a fixed IP, when I had it on DHCP it kept connecting to the neighbours network that was a stronger signal. :rolleyes:
With a fixed IP everthing works fine now.

Where do I set the fixed IP? Is that with the Airport Utility? (Sorry I'm not great with networks.)

Thanks

OldGuyDave

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
Where do I set the fixed IP? Is that with the Airport Utility? (Sorry I'm not great with networks.)
Thanks
Check what IP your on by going into the Settings (on your Mac/ PC ) and look under network.
Then go into the aTV / settings / network / and set the IP to the same Network. Turn DHCP to off.
Often DHCP is set to on, this means that your aTV will take an IP Address that your router will give it. this is usually OK, but in my case my Router is not letting the aTV connect properly so I set the aTV IP to a fixed address and it works much better.
For example my router has a typical IP like 192.168.0.1 my Mac has then 192.168.0.2 and my aTV is set to 192.168.03 and my iPod is set to 192.168.0.4 got the picture? :)
Sorry I can't be more precise I'm not at home to have a look.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
It could be a placement or Interference issue, Have you tried Moving it?

I haven't but it's a small 2 bedroomed flat with a wireless N set up and always seems to have full signal.

Check what IP your on by going into the Settings (on your Mac/ PC ) and look under network.
Then go into the aTV / settings / network / and set the IP to the same Network. Turn DHCP to off.
Often DHCP is set to on, this means that your aTV will take an IP Address that your router will give it. this is usually OK, but in my case my Router is not letting the aTV connect properly so I set the aTV IP to a fixed address and it works much better.
For example my router has a typical IP like 192.168.0.1 my Mac has then 192.168.0.2 and my aTV is set to 192.168.03 and my iPod is set to 192.168.0.4 got the picture? :)
Sorry I can't be more precise I'm not at home to have a look.

This makes sense thanks. I'll give it ago when I get in and see if iTunes picks it up straight away!

Cheers for everyones help

Purpdust

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
I haven't but it's a small 2 bedroomed flat with a wireless N set up and always seems to have full signal.

I am in a Small appartment as well with the MBP about 10 feet way from the ATV, After I moved the ATV from Directly Under the TV on a thin shelf to beside the TV I no long had any issues. Cordless Phones can also cause problems as well, you might try changing the Channel if the Fix IP does not work.

yancey47

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
Did this work? I'm having problems with my connection also. Ive tried redoing the ip but it's not helping. I stream itunes from an iMac plugged direct via Ethernet and a time capsule for my wireless. Do I need the time capsules ip or the iMacs? Thanks!

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Did this work? I'm having problems with my connection also. Ive tried redoing the ip but it's not helping. I stream itunes from an iMac plugged direct via Ethernet and a time capsule for my wireless. Do I need the time capsules ip or the iMacs? Thanks!

I'm not too sure about the IP addresses. I just click on manual on the apple tv and clicked ok for everything and it does seem to connect now!

As for the dropping out during a tv show.... I think my USB hard drive was going to sleep........... my bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.