Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnstr_trd_sd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
san diego, ca.
Hello everyone this is my first post here and I appreciate any help I can get.

I currently am using 933Mhz 2002 Quicksilver 133bus, 1.5 Gig Ram and 9800 Pro. I am using this for Graphic Design, Video Editing and 3d Animation.

I am torn between buying a the Dual 1.4 from Powerlogix or the Giga Designs Dual 1.25 that can be overclocked to1.33 or 1.46.

Powerlogix $1099
http://www.powerlogix.com/products/pfdualg4133/index.html

Giga Design $749
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=6393&Item=GIGGCD1250S4Q13

Which one is the better deal?

Which has better quality?

Is it safe to overclock g4 cpus?

What is the highest this processor should be overclocked within a safe margin?

I don't have much experience with upgrading processors so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a student so any info that would lead me to the best investment with my limited funds would help.

Please look over both links and email me at soulbyte@mac.com with your opinions and label it Re: Processors.

Sorry for such a long post and thank you again for all your help.

Roger
Soulbyte@mac.com

dudewheresmymac

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2004
id say that you should svae up and get more powerful computer because it your line of work you need alll the powerm that you can get....

but if you cant or dont want to wait go with the giga designs cheaper and can be clocked higher

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I have a single 1.4 that am running at 1.47, i also have ran it at 1.33 & 1.4. you arent going to notice much difference between 1.33 and 1.4 so i would suggest the giga and save some money. also 1 more point those two cpu's are fighting over that poor FSB which is going to be maxed out so how much more are you going to get out of the dual 1.4 vs 1.33? very little vs how much more it costs.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
CPU upgrades have very poor ROI. The 1.6 G5 refurb at Apple Store for $1349 would blow the doors off the dual 1.33 G4 quicksilver for video stuff. Plus you get a bus that's 3 times faster, serial ATA drive that's faster, etc.

I see you've got a faster video card, but maybe you can move it over? That's a nice quicksilver, you could probably sell it for $800 or more. End result: you save money and get a faster computer.

If you do go with G4s, don't overclock them unless you significantly improve cooling. They're running hot as blue blazes already.

TMJ1974

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by cubist
The 1.6 G5 refurb at Apple Store for $1349 would blow the doors off the dual 1.33 G4 quicksilver for video stuff.

Not really, most video programs would perform better on a dual machine. Tests show that dual 1.25/1.42 G4s outperform the single G5s.

However, you could sell your Quicksilver, put the $1000 difference to it and get a refurb dual 1.8 G5, that would be worth the upgrade.

Tim

mnstr_trd_sd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
san diego, ca.
thank you all for your replies. Where could i get a well priced refurbished dual g5? does the apple store or any well trusted online stores? please help and send links if you know of any.

thank you.
roger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.