PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G Unlocked, Software Release on New Years

MacRumors
Dec 16, 2008, 10:34 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/12/16/iphone-3g-unlocked-software-release-on-new-years/)

Gizmodo reports (http://gizmodo.com/5111156/iphone-3g-unlocked-free-software-coming-on-new-years-eve) that the iPhone Dev Teams has unlocked the iPhone 3G and are planning to release the software on December 31st. While it took a little longer than the free iPhone EDGE unlock, it does sound like this is the real deal. The team is claiming a successful unlock—now the next step is to package it up in a user-friendly GUI app like Pwnage Tool."Unlocking" is the process by which customers can break the SIM-lock that ties the iPhone to one specific carrier. There are a number of caveats to the hack so interested readers should see the Dev Team blog (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/65126957/tis-the-season-to-be-jolly).

Article Link: iPhone 3G Unlocked, Software Release on New Years (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/12/16/iphone-3g-unlocked-software-release-on-new-years/)

Doctor Q
Dec 16, 2008, 10:54 AM
Cross-reference to a related news story: Mac OS 10.5.6 Breaks Jailbreaking Tools (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/12/16/mac-os-10-5-6-breaks-jailbreaking-tools/).

fishmoose
Dec 16, 2008, 11:19 AM
Cool i'm on 2.2 firmware with the new baseband so i have to wait a bit longer, doesn't matter to me thou, going to unlock when my contract is out and that's not before 2010 and i figure a hack for the newest firmware are available then.

RTiii320
Dec 16, 2008, 11:56 AM
It was only a time until they figured it out.

alexbates
Dec 16, 2008, 12:00 PM
This will make everyone happy...everyone except Apple. This will definitely increase the percentage of unlocked iPhones by far, and possibly reduce the amount of Apps sold in the App Store (now that you can download the hacked ipa file for free).

acvball92
Dec 16, 2008, 12:22 PM
This will make everyone happy...everyone except Apple. This will definitely increase the percentage of unlocked iPhones by far, and possibly reduce the amount of Apps sold in the App Store (now that you can download the hacked ipa file for free).

It won't upset Apple, it will upset AT&T though.:)

Niiro13
Dec 16, 2008, 12:58 PM
I wonder once AT&T reads this, how fast they'll get Apple to push an update :D.

jmann
Dec 16, 2008, 01:02 PM
I wonder once AT&T reads this, how fast they'll get Apple to push an update :D.

The update has already been "pushed" all of the new iphones that come with the 2.2 firmware already installed are out of luck for the unlock that the dev team is releasing. I'm sure AT&T isn't worried at all, because only phones in current use can be possibly unlocked if they haven't updated to stock 2.2. Early adopters have the advantage here. ;)

LastZion
Dec 16, 2008, 01:02 PM
while I have a legally unlocked one, its still good to see them finally cracking the code.
well done dev team

current
Dec 16, 2008, 01:09 PM
And so I will be able to unlock my iPhone 3G. I live in Europe and travel all the time. What did Apple think I was going to do? Pay ridiculous roaming charges with those bloated, useless mobil providers? So now, all those like me will always hold back on downloading upgrades from Apple fearing the unlock being disabled. So what if someone comes up with a virus? While I love Apple products, I can only hope that Apple gets a big bashing one day for this stupid locking. iPhone locking may prove to be one big boomerang. Just a matter of time till it hits...

jmann
Dec 16, 2008, 01:14 PM
And so I will be able to unlock my iPhone 3G. I live in Europe and travel all the time. What did Apple think I was going to do? Pay ridiculous roaming charges with those bloated, useless mobil providers? So now, all those like me will always hold back on downloading upgrades from Apple fearing the unlock being disabled. So what if someone comes up with a virus? While I love Apple products, I can only hope that Apple gets a big bashing one day for this stupid locking. iPhone locking may prove to be one big boomerang. Just a matter of time till it hits...

You can still unlock your iphone if you still have either firmware 2.1 on your iphone or your updated your iphone through pwnage tool and preserved the 2.1 baseband. And as long as you keep tabs on this blog (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/) whenever an update comes out you will be safe to update through their safe methods. :D

Masquerade
Dec 16, 2008, 01:57 PM
this confirms that dev team works better than these iphone developers at apple...
come on, where the copy paste and that and that? im getting really mad and its christmas time.

bizzaregood
Dec 16, 2008, 02:35 PM
Really copy paste is now all we need. Devteam is all set (expect ipod2g). The iphone is really really good as it is now. Copy paste, and turn by turn GPS, push for apps. and then we have a near perfect phone.... computer?... device.

Idea for developers double tap and drag on 2nd tap, once wanted text is highlighted. lift finger. click a copy button somewhere on the keyboard. Which then turns into a past button and then latter paste. Store the text in a temp file. once the text has been pasted, have the temp file cleared.

iParis
Dec 16, 2008, 02:41 PM
Finally.
I suppose this will be a good thing for when I get an iPhone?
At least now they can start working on jailbreakin the 2G iPod touch.

guzhogi
Dec 16, 2008, 02:52 PM
When will Apple learn "If you can't beat them, hire them"?

shiunn
Dec 16, 2008, 03:40 PM
do you think an used but unlocked 3G will cost more than a new 3G (pay as u go)?
what about new and unlocked 3g? wait...don't have one of those on 2.1

odedia
Dec 16, 2008, 03:46 PM
Arn, this really deserves a place on the front page news. Many people in countries who don't sell iPhones officially waited a LONG time for this.

tonyl
Dec 16, 2008, 04:07 PM
When will Apple learn "If you can't beat them, hire them"?
LOL, good point! But Apple won't, Apple is afraid of inside men.

blurtigo
Dec 16, 2008, 04:46 PM
Been waiting for this announcement!

Can't WAIT to unlock my Pay-As-You-Go white iPhone 3G and get back on Orange (UK).

O2's coverage is *****, and they are literally RAPING me with Pay-As-You-Go top-ups at the moment =(

Roll on 1/1/09! :D

DipDog3
Dec 16, 2008, 05:29 PM
What good is it? You HAVE to be locked into a contract before they will give you a 3G iPhone.

SimonTheSoundMa
Dec 16, 2008, 05:37 PM
Took a friend the other day to get their iPhone 3G PAYG with O2 unlocked at our local O2 store, £10 and two minutes later and now enjoying it with Virgin.

blurtigo, you do know any owned phone (i.e. not in contract, in PAYG you own the handset), the operator has to unlock any phone on request by the customer? Ofcom come down on telcos quite hard over this.

McGiord
Dec 16, 2008, 05:40 PM
What good is it? You HAVE to be locked into a contract before they will give you a 3G iPhone.

There will be people that currently have an iPhone 3G with AT&T contract and can simply buy a 'replacement' iPhone and activate it and sell the old one unlocked.

McGiord
Dec 16, 2008, 05:41 PM
Took a friend the other day to get their iPhone 3G PAYG with O2 unlocked at our local O2 store, £10 and two minutes later and now enjoying it with Virgin.

blurtigo, you do know any owned phone (i.e. not in contract, in PAYG you own the handset), the operator has to unlock any phone on request by the customer? Ofcom come down on telcos quite hard over this.

Europe is different.

Tenorsaw
Dec 16, 2008, 05:59 PM
I hardly doubt that this will hurt at&t, especially now that T-Mobile's 3G operates on a different band. Also, you are still required to sign a contract in order to get one. Ebay is always an option, but again, in the U.S. you're losing functionality by going with T-Mobile.

KBenton
Dec 16, 2008, 06:04 PM
Awesome!

I have the 3g unlocked with a simunlock for 2.1 firmware.

Does this mean i will not need the chip anymore if i unlock the software?

sananda
Dec 16, 2008, 06:06 PM
they are literally RAPING me with Pay-As-You-Go top-ups at the moment =(

literally, eh?

how did you manage this? i'm not aware of any such rule/regulation or stipulation by ofcom.

rockosmodurnlif
Dec 16, 2008, 07:23 PM
Pirates take to the seas of the App store. And you thought there were no good apps in the store before.

i-John
Dec 16, 2008, 07:28 PM
It won't upset Apple, it will upset AT&T though.:)
Won't upset them. If you buy a phone through AT&T, you are tied to their 2 year contract regardless if you unlock it. They still get their money.

The amount that will come in from overseas will be minimal compared to what they are selling. tmobile's 3G network is crappy to start with, so why anyone would want to be on it is beyond me.

kas23
Dec 16, 2008, 10:52 PM
Won't upset them. If you buy a phone through AT&T, you are tied to their 2 year contract regardless if you unlock it. They still get their money.

Not quite.

If I unlock my phone, can't I just then pay my $200 dollar ETF and then be done with them? It would be a lot cheaper paying the ETF than to pay the $3,800 for the lifetime of the contract.

Another way I see them losing money is from the frequent travelers not buying international plan who would then opt to swap out their SIM cards for a local one once they get to their destination.

jmann
Dec 17, 2008, 12:52 AM
Awesome!

I have the 3g unlocked with a simunlock for 2.1 firmware.

Does this mean i will not need the chip anymore if i unlock the software?

Nope you can throw that pesky little piggy-backing sim card away. You won't need it anymore. :D

KBenton
Dec 17, 2008, 01:47 AM
Nope you can throw that pesky little piggy-backing sim card away. You won't need it anymore. :D

Thank God!

dZp
Dec 17, 2008, 04:32 AM
:rolleyes:
When you get a spare 2 minutes, would you mind taking me there to ?!

SimonTheSoundMa
Dec 17, 2008, 06:24 AM
how did you manage this? i'm not aware of any such rule/regulation or stipulation by ofcom.
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/Oftel/consumer/advice/faqs/mobfaq3.htm

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumeradvice/mobile/

jon86
Dec 17, 2008, 07:21 AM

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumeradvice/mobile/

This only applies after a certain duration in which the "operator has recover[ed] the associated cost of subsidising the mobile phone(s) sold. ... generally be within a year if not before."

X3n0 AcId
Dec 17, 2008, 07:29 AM
Excellent News!
Well done Dev Team :apple:

ipoppy
Dec 17, 2008, 07:30 AM
Honestly, people are fed up to try unlock and live in shadow of next update etc. There is still market for it but less and less people wants to do that every time.

sananda
Dec 17, 2008, 07:36 AM

that doesn't contain any requirement in line with what you said to blurtigo above. in fact it says:

There are now no specific guidelines relating to the mobile companies' policies, in terms of the length of locking period and the charges for unlocking. Oftel decided that setting particular conditions for SIM locking would be less effective than customer pressure on the mobile companies.

jcbauerca
Dec 20, 2008, 08:39 PM
I have the Italian Tim version and it is unlocked from the factory. Recently updated to 2.2 and still running my T-mobile sim in it. I paid 500 Euros or $700 for it but I guess that is still cheaper then the ATT contract hassle and the sim unlock and all that stuff.

Frankly I have been using it for a while and I guess I am not an expert on it yet but it seems like my blackberry is easier to do things. Is there a short cut to find a phone number if I am in the S and need a D phone number. On my BB I start typing the D name and it pulls up all the contact after a few letters. Can I do that on the Iphone.

Sorry for asking this stupid question but after using it for a week I may sell it and go back to my BB. The iphone does not seem that easy to dial while driving.

Babiipiink
Dec 21, 2008, 12:09 AM
Not quite.

If I unlock my phone, can't I just then pay my $200 dollar ETF and then be done with them? It would be a lot cheaper paying the ETF than to pay the $3,800 for the lifetime of the contract.

Another way I see them losing money is from the frequent travelers not buying international plan who would then opt to swap out their SIM cards for a local one once they get to their destination.

Exactly. I find it funny seeing people paying up to $1,000 on ebay for an unlocked 3G, when all you have to do is activate one through att and then pay a mere $200 ETF.. That is exactly what i did and I paid about $500 for a brand new iPhone and will unlock it myself. :)

Xenious
Dec 21, 2008, 09:50 PM
So when the 2 year mark rolls around this June and the original iPhones (that were not even subsidized) have run their course will Apple and AT&T provide any type of official SIM unlock? Sure would be nice.

Notecard
Dec 26, 2008, 07:05 PM
i was wondering if in order to get the iphone 3g unlocked you would have to jailbreak it?

jster25
Dec 26, 2008, 07:52 PM
i was wondering if in order to get the iphone 3g unlocked you would have to jailbreak it?

Probably, as I read the unlocking software will be available through Cydia.

samab
Dec 27, 2008, 05:26 PM
that doesn't contain any requirement in line with what you said to blurtigo above. in fact it says:

There are now no specific guidelines relating to the mobile companies' policies, in terms of the length of locking period and the charges for unlocking. Oftel decided that setting particular conditions for SIM locking would be less effective than customer pressure on the mobile companies.

You are absolutely correct --- there are NO Ofcom requirements for unlocking any cell phone what-so-ever.

I don't know why people keep linking that FAQ webpage --- when they don't even read it themselves. It's in the last paragraph --- zero locking requirement in the UK.

Hing
Dec 30, 2008, 07:06 PM
when are they releasing the software unlock?

bizzaregood
Dec 31, 2008, 12:29 AM
when are they releasing the software unlock?

Tonight sometime. New years eve. Well we hope

reaves205
Mar 13, 2009, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure where to list this info...hope this is okay..
If your getting stuck on the Apple Logo after trying to jailbreak your iphone3G, I figured out what to do.
After asking and getting no help from anyone I found that if you will RESTORE your iphone3G to the factory settings then do the jailbreak it will work just fine. Then since you have done a backup before trying the jailbreak just reinstall all your APPs and any other programs you had.
I used the QUICKPWN 225-2 zip and the firmware iPhone1,2_2.2.1_5H11_RESTORE.ipsw. My iPhone3G was running 2.2.1 firmware and has not been unlocked. I downloaded these from the QUICKPWN.com web site.
I looked everywhere for help and could not find it so I hope this helps someone.
Just get to factory settings then do the break then reinstall your backup(its automatic).
rsr205@aol.com

iphoneguru
Apr 2, 2009, 04:50 PM
yea i tried the software worked with the 3g 2.2 but not with 2.2.1, the only thing i have found that works is the unlock sim card, what do you all think?

frankene1
Apr 2, 2011, 05:40 AM
Tablet PC is the most considered electronic products of this year, the user number is constantly increasing. IPAD 2 is exacerbated by the listing of the brand Tablet PC competition. In today's domestic flat-panel computer market can be described as crowded, full swing.

Lenovo introduced its first Tablet PC music PAD, and in 28 officially listed. Lenovo play the local card, dubbed the most suitable for people of the Tablet PC to the understanding of Chinese consumption and usage habits of users.
KUPA, as Tablet PC upstart come from Germany. And The X8 with main business of the almighty, come into season in September 2010 in the Chinese market.

Le PAD produced by Lenovo, adopt Android system, adding the unique interface association, renamed the LeOS 2.0. If the association's programs have developed their own operating system, it really has taken the first step in localization. X8 uses a cool running genuine Windows 7 operating system. There are Home Premium Edition, Professional Edition and Ultimate version. Windows systems worldwide, more than 90% of users, is deeply popular in China, has a broad mass base, Windows 7 system more in line with the Chinese people's habits. Corresponding applications and procedures can be described as numerous.