Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottasu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
One more thought, if your listening Citrix please do not go the $30 route.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I'll wait for some more reviews first but the beauty of LogMeIn is that it doesn't require you to mess around with firewalls and such so if your computer has the client software installed and running then you can access it remotely a lot easier especially when your computer is connected to a network you don't have control over eg. at work (although IT usually don't approve such actions).

Hopefully it allows much faster access to Macs over 3G as in my experience Jaadu VNC was painful for that, did the latest update improve that dramatically? I haven't tried...

scottasu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
I actually have Jaadu myself and yes the new update improved speeds for sure over the same network but I have not tested very much over 3g. I tried LogMeIn a couple of years ago and it was pretty good. If the speed is faster/smoother then Jaadu, which is currently the best remote desktop like software for my money in the App Store, I might give LogMeIn a whirl.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Interesting, but it would have to be blazingly fast for me to consider it at that price and requiring creating an account versus the existing solutions (VNC for my Linux box, the snappier RemoteTap for my MacBook).

I don't think any of these are really going to impress me that much until someone gets audio streaming from the remote computer working...

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
but google telekinesis does all that and also movies seemlessly already. Whats the big deal?

Edit: Sorry read it a bit more, it's more for windows users.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Very cool, but very pricey. So are these remote viewing apps just for viewing files only, or can you also edit files on your computer? If just for viewing, can you open any file type (any video, mp3, ppt, pdf, etc...) or just view screens?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Telekinesis is not really end user friendly though and doesn't seem to be a screen sharing app but rather allows you to perform other custom functions, which is fine if that is what you require but I tried the whole streaming media thing with Simplify Media and it just didn't have long term appeal to me.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
i love logmein and i couldnt wait for this app to come out. $30 does seem very high. i'll wait for a video. if someone has one, please post!

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Oh crap... I always get Shazam and Simplify Media mixed up for some reason! I meant the latter of course.

Simplify Media is only useful for music... audio in any other applications doesn't work over it (or any remote access applications I know of) AFAIK.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
This is not designed for the end user, for those of us who use LogMeIn for remote support and use it everyday, $30 is a very small price. If you want an inexpensive solution, go the VNC or RDP route.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Just purchased LogMeIn Igntion from the iPhone App store and here are my impressions as I use it:

- Turned WiFi off and have spotty EDGE coverage in my gf's apartment
- Log in screen uses the right default keyboards ie. the email keyboard for your email address and first letter CAPS is off for the password. It is surprising how many developers don't take that kind of care with their apps!
- Log in is sitting at Please Wait for some time, however I know AT&T's coverage is awful inside my gf's apt so will try outside in a few (it just failed to connect)
- Even outside I am getting only spotty EDGE so will wait till I'm in a better area to test connectivity over the cellular network, AT&T really needs to get their act together with 3G as I'm in inner city Houston right now! I did finally manage to connect and the experience wasn't pleasing but am withholding judgment on that until I have better cellular coverage
- I like how it remembers your login info but it would be nice if it auto logged you in without a manual button press
- It does however auto log you in once you select a computer to log into if you have logged in previously and told Ignition to remember those settings
- switched to WiFi, connected fairly swiftly
- am typing this through the Ignition app, performs rather nicely! no lag when typing but obviously i am on the same LAN so take that with a grain of salt
- note: auto correct and other native iphone features don't work when typing on the remote host so for example shift acts as CAPS LOCK
- Back to typing on the Macbook Pro now for efficiency
- Sound does not come across at all
- Flash video plays but rather poorly and without audio that would be useless anyway (not a big deal to me but I'm sure the question will be asked)
- Is a bit choppy when swapping Spaces in OSX
- The default scrolling method is to move the screen with the cursor staying in the center of the iPhone screen but this can be changed so you can move the cursor and have the screen follow
- Zooming is fairly smooth
- You can change the resolution used from within the app but this didn't seem to make much difference to me, this would probably make most difference on a Windows host though as OSX and changing resolution don't get along well together
- As a previous poster stated it would seem that LogMeIn Ignition is not suited towards end users given it's relatively high price (although Jaadu isn't far behind it!) and the fact it doesn't bring much new to the table except for close to zero configuration (you install their client on the host), the ability to store logins to multiple hosts and the end to end encryption.
- If the performance ends up to be blazing fast over 3G I might revise this recommendation but given the performance over WiFi I'm not expecting 3G performance to be all that great.
- So in conclusion this app is suited most towards those that already use LogMeIn to manage multiple computers over an encrypted connection and those that have a need to, for such users then this app will be a God send! Other users will ultimately end up disappointed especially those that already have VNC based clients on the iPhone already.

Any questions? Unfortunately I don't have a Windows host readily available at the moment, although could probably switch my Parallels VM over to bridged networking and give it a try that way but that wouldn't be a true test.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I just bought this app, and am REALLY regretting it. The functionality is fine, but it refuses to remember my login details!! Anyone got any idea? I close the app and go back in, and I have to login to Logmein AND to my Mac after...

:(

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
I just bought this app, and am REALLY regretting it. The functionality is fine, but it refuses to remember my login details!! Anyone got any idea? I close the app and go back in, and I have to login to Logmein AND to my Mac after...

:(

Strange. It always remembered my log on details.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
i would delete the app and re download it as it remembers my login and password details. good luck.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Bought it and used it while on vacation when I had to log into a server. Worked fine for me and made it well worth the $30.

Had a 3G connection and worked pretty fast too.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
I just seen that this app was available. I am glad to see some reviews for it. My main thing would be to watch the movies that I have on my computer without downloading them to Itunes. Trying to save a step. Does anyone have an updated review for the app with the videos?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.