Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I was thinking of buying Vay. I decided I need more paid games because they are fun and offer a lot more gameplay than most free games out there.

To this day, I've only paid for Dropship, Dr. Awesome, Crash Bandicoot, Cro-Mag, Snail Mail and Ocarina.

Not much. I need more gameplay to spend during the free time I get when I'm in the train which takes about 1:30 hours.

I was thinking of buying Vay since it's only $5 but still need opinions. Should I buy this game and is it worth 4-5+ hours of gameplay? Any replay value?

I like RPG games but I never played Final Fantasy before(since people say Vay is like Final Fantasy), so I don't know if I would like the game. I've played Zelda, Dragon Quest and stuff like that and I really like those.

Thanks.

P.S: Would you also recommend Inotia?

nanvinnie

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
i bought vay back when it first came out. it's pretty entertaining, but i lost interest in it rather quickly. my recommendation... buy only if you're really bored.

larrybeo

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
Little Replay Value... Worth Every $$$

Vay was the first "real" iPhone game I bought. Stories, weapons, plots, secrets, characters, different levels - all amusing. The dev has updated the game 3 times since its release, and hasn't had to lower the price once. There's a reason so many people have bought Vay its' because it is a good quality game.
Oh, the previous poster was correct - it has very long play time, but I wouldn't think it would give much replay value after you have figured out everything... but, if you are expect 4 hours of gameplay and it actually offers 12 hours of gameplay, that's like saying you can play the game 3 times :)

sdragon

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
I've played Zelda, Dragon Quest and stuff like that and I really like those.
Vay might actually have a lot more in common with Dragon Quest.

It's more of an action RPG than a traditional RPG. I've heard mixed reviews.

larrybeo said:
it has very long play time, but I wouldn't think it would give much replay value after you have figured out everything...
If you're so inclined (remember that Vay is an enhanced port of an jRPG), once you beat the game, you can actually explore some of the unfinished and unused areas of the original console release.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I was thinking of buying Vay. I decided I need more paid games because they are fun and offer a lot more gameplay than most free games out there.

To this day, I've only paid for Dropship, Dr. Awesome, Crash Bandicoot, Cro-Mag, Snail Mail and Ocarina.

Not much. I need more gameplay to spend during the free time I get when I'm in the train which takes about 1:30 hours.

I was thinking of buying Vay since it's only $5 but still need opinions. Should I buy this game and is it worth 4-5+ hours of gameplay? Any replay value?

I like RPG games but I never played Final Fantasy before(since people say Vay is like Final Fantasy), so I don't know if I would like the game. I've played Zelda, Dragon Quest and stuff like that and I really like those.

Thanks.

Like what others said, Vay really is worth every penny, and was a very strong start for RPGs on the iPhone. Not only that it offers the usual stuff that you see on RPGs - Armor, Weapon, Item, Rearranging, Skills/Magics - it also offers quite of a story. Sometimes in that game though I find myself stuck, but probably because I never tapped to far :p I do recommend this game strongly for RPG fans, considering it's the first for iPhone.

Chronicles of Inotia on the other hand, I'm still playing it trying to finish this game. So far it's a good action game, but some bugs are eminent. I hate the display bug at the bottom of some maps, sometimes monsters would vanish but they're still not dead and attacking you so you have to walk around then they'll reappear, and lastly the infamous I have to hit the Save button cause it doesn't automatically save. Pros so far: grinding - they really thought about it. You couldn't just bash around monsters in this game unlike Vay - once you have a solo healer/group healer then you're fine, with Inotia you really need to train/kill a lot of monsters before even proceeding to the next level. Quests so far are cool, it made me explore dangerous maps. Be warned that if you don't train well in this game, you'll die most of the time. Equipments are also very expensive, unlike in Vay you could easily buy things, here you can't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.