PDA

View Full Version : New iMac in January?

capo64
Dec 16, 2008, 07:43 PM
In light of the news that Steve isn't going to make an appearance at MW, does everyone still think there's going to be a new iMac coming out in early January?

I know it's not a new product, so it's not a big deal that he's not there, but what do you guys think the chances are of a new iMac coming out?

I want to get one soon, but I have no problem waiting a month if it means I'll get better performance for the same amount of money. I've been waiting for a few weeks because there were all these rumors of a potential new model, but if the chances have changed I'd rather just get one for Christmas.

gr81mgbgt
Dec 16, 2008, 07:47 PM
Not sure now whats going to happen..............

Tallest Skil
Dec 16, 2008, 07:54 PM
Not sure now whats going to happen..............

One man stops giving a keynote and Apple immediately stops designing new products? One man stops giving a keynote and Apple decides to do nothing for the rest of its existence?

Everything about MacWorld will be exactly the same minus Steve.

gr81mgbgt
Dec 16, 2008, 08:06 PM
You got it.... The show must go on.

shoopaman
Dec 16, 2008, 08:09 PM
There's a very good chance - just a hunch - I would wait, what have you got to lose if you can wait anyways:)In light of the news that Steve isn't going to make an appearance at MW, does everyone still think there's going to be a new iMac coming out in early January?

I know it's not a new product, so it's not a big deal that he's not there, but what do you guys think the chances are of a new iMac coming out?

I want to get one soon, but I have no problem waiting a month if it means I'll get better performance for the same amount of money. I've been waiting for a few weeks because there were all these rumors of a potential new model, but if the chances have changed I'd rather just get one for Christmas.

queshy
Dec 20, 2008, 01:18 AM
If I was in the market for an iMac, I'd definitely wait. I did the same 2 years ago when I bought my imac. I decided I wanted to buy it in October/November, but I knew MWSF was approaching. Unfortunately, this was the keynote of the iPhone and no new Macs were released haha. So I went right ahead and ordered it then.

Sebby
Dec 20, 2008, 03:25 AM
I was about to ask the exact same question when I saw this thread.

I've been using a PC since I started using computers in 1993. Since getting an iPhone, I want to make the move to Mac, and the iMac is for me. I think I'll wait until January and see what happens. :)

capo64
Dec 21, 2008, 07:28 AM
I think we might be twins :eek:

Tallest Skil
Dec 21, 2008, 07:53 AM
I was about to ask the exact same question when I saw this thread.

From a jaded user, thank you for following the rules and actually looking around before you posted to see if your question had already been asked. :D:cool:

Sebby
Dec 21, 2008, 08:54 AM
No problem. :)

Lesser Evets
Dec 21, 2008, 09:21 AM
One man stops giving a keynote and Apple immediately stops designing new products? One man stops giving a keynote and Apple decides to do nothing for the rest of its existence?

YEP! And Apple is closing down this year because Steve didn't go to MacWorld.
The logic is flawless.

QCassidy352
Dec 21, 2008, 09:27 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

The next iMac will only be a minor bump anyway. It wouldn't have been in re keynote regardless. So steve's absence really changes nothing.

Smittay
Dec 21, 2008, 05:28 PM
wait til Jan. 5, thankfully my iMac had hardware failure when i opened it 2 weeks ago, so now im just waiting for the new one, i had two imac alum with screen problems, new ones rumored to have LED :)

Tallest Skil
Dec 21, 2008, 05:31 PM
wait til Jan. 5...

Sixth.

dadudeness
Dec 22, 2008, 01:04 PM
So the next gen iMacs are to be with LED screens and approximately they'll switch to Nvidia. Do you guys expect anything more?

dpmusic
Dec 22, 2008, 03:29 PM
So the next gen iMacs are to be with LED screens and approximately they'll switch to Nvidia. Do you guys expect anything more?

What exactly will change with an LED display? Better resolution?

kasakka
Dec 22, 2008, 03:37 PM
What exactly will change with an LED display? Better resolution?

Instant on display and wider color gamut. Apple hypes the feature a bit too much for what it is.

dadudeness
Dec 22, 2008, 03:37 PM
less power consumption, higher brightness, smoother illumination

dpmusic
Dec 22, 2008, 03:46 PM
Instant on display and wider color gamut. Apple hypes the feature a bit too much for what it is.

Oh ok... I've been hearing a ton about it, and it was made to be something huge.. lol. Still sounds great, but maybe slightly over-hyped.

Sebby
Dec 22, 2008, 04:15 PM
But for those of us wanting to buy our first Mac, very exciting. ;)

Klainn
Dec 22, 2008, 09:20 PM

Very nerve-wracking!

iObama
Dec 22, 2008, 09:23 PM

+1!

nitrotg
Dec 23, 2008, 02:50 AM

+2

Umbongo
Dec 23, 2008, 09:30 AM

Quad core processors.

iMacmatician
Dec 23, 2008, 09:45 AM
Quad core processors.Crossing my fingers! :D

Hellhammer
Dec 23, 2008, 10:21 AM
I think these are the biggest:

-LED display
-DDR3 memory for all models (at least 2gb in every model)
-quad-core proseccors (at least a confiqure option)
-NVIDIA chipsets for all models
-MiniDisplayPort (as in MacBooks)

Maybe new design which would look like the new cinema displays

reevo
Dec 23, 2008, 10:28 AM

+3!

LevMac
Dec 25, 2008, 12:41 AM
Im hoping the backs of the new iMac's look like the new Cinema Displays as well, all aluminium :) Would be hot !!

queshy
Dec 25, 2008, 01:37 AM
I think these are the biggest:

-LED display
-DDR3 memory for all models (at least 2gb in every model)
-quad-core proseccors (at least a confiqure option)
-NVIDIA chipsets for all models
-MiniDisplayPort (as in MacBooks)

Maybe new design which would look like the new cinema displays

Don't the current iMacs already looks like the ACD? i.e. the ACD was designed to look like the iMac. So were the MB/MBPs. These facts lead me to believe that the current iMac design is here to stay for a while. Nothing wrong with the current design but a rather unexciting prospect for mac fanboys.

LED displays are likely. I think quad-core is possible as a BTO option. MiniDisplayPort is a guarantee.

LevMac
Dec 25, 2008, 01:47 AM
Don't the current iMacs already looks like the ACD? i.e. the ACD was designed to look like the iMac. So were the MB/MBPs. These facts lead me to believe that the current iMac design is here to stay for a while. Nothing wrong with the current design but a rather unexciting prospect for mac fanboys.

Yeah the iMac's do look similar, im talking about the back of the current iMac, which will hopefully look like the backs of the new Cinema Display where its all aluminium......

queshy
Dec 25, 2008, 02:41 AM
Yeah the iMac's do look similar, im talking about the back of the current iMac, which will hopefully look like the backs of the new Cinema Display where its all aluminium......
Maybe this was done intentionally i.e. heat purposes. We'll never know.

Sebby
Dec 25, 2008, 06:36 AM
What material is the back of the iMac at the moment?

Sun Baked
Dec 25, 2008, 06:54 AM
Might not see it introduced at MW, might see it pushed out when ready or get a press conference.

Apple was in the habit of simply releasing machine (the Tuesday joke) with no fanfare, or holding a press conference when they wanted some marketing support.

These used to happen outside the big keynotes. apple just went back into the rut of doing huge announcements at the keynotes with the Intel switch.

Hellhammer
Dec 25, 2008, 08:04 AM
Might not see it introduced at MW, might see it pushed out when ready or get a press conference.

Apple was in the habit of simply releasing machine (the Tuesday joke) with no fanfare, or holding a press conference when they wanted some marketing support.

These used to happen outside the big keynotes. apple just went back into the rut of doing huge announcements at the keynotes with the Intel switch.

If you've been reading the news about new iMac you would delete your post. They released MBs and MBPs in october because laptops are todays word and people buys 'em for present, so...

and why no new iMacs? because Apple is waiting for Intel's new quad-cores.

Sun Baked
Dec 25, 2008, 01:35 PM
If you've been reading the news about new iMac you would delete your post. They released MBs and MBPs in october because laptops are todays word and people buys 'em for present, so...

and why no new iMacs? because Apple is waiting for Intel's new quad-cores.

What a weird way to do business, purposefully not introduce a product to make a laptop seem like the better Christmas present.

Glad you aren't an Apple CEO.

As for Apple waiting for quad core laptop CPUs just for the iMac, if you've noticed the laptops tend to get the big leaps first. Unless it specifically isn't ready for laptops yet.

Hellhammer
Dec 25, 2008, 04:10 PM
sorry about my last comment it was 4 A.M. and I was drunk. but what I mean is that there must be something that they are waiting for, because before xmas is the biggest sale of the year.

iMacmatician
Dec 25, 2008, 07:16 PM
Unless it specifically isn't ready for laptops yet.Which is very true for quad-core, since all the ones I've seen have ≥45 W TDPs (including those 65 W desktop CPUs).

capo64
Dec 25, 2008, 07:28 PM
Wait so should the new iMacs have quad core? i'm not following.

Sun Baked
Dec 25, 2008, 07:41 PM
Wait so should the new iMacs have quad core? i'm not following.

Maybe, maybe not.

The chipset Apple used for the MacBooks was geared to desktop mini-ATX machines ... Apple requested a mobile socket and RAM variant.

So Apple could use the desktop socket/RAM variant and change the price structure a bit on the iMac -- or intro new laptop tech (aka, mobile quads) that still isn't quite laptop ready.

Just a wait and see, current path is laptop. But Apple has gone back and forth between laptop and desktop parts on the iMacs several times since the first Bondi Blue iMac showed up.

iMacmatician
Dec 26, 2008, 12:42 PM
Wait so should the new iMacs have quad core? i'm not following.This (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20081119PD209.html) rumor points towards that, although it does not explicitly say "iMac."

(Whoa, 2.83 GHz? I thought they were 2.33/2.4/2.67 GHz. In that case, the GHz gap would be lessened or even eliminated.)

capo64
Jan 3, 2009, 06:47 PM
Well this all sounds good, once they announce the iMac at MW, when does it hit the shelves, immediately?

Also, does Apple ever lower their prices after a few months of releasing a new product. Or do they stay the same until even newer models come out.

Sorry, old thread, but I was gone for a while and didn't wanna make a new one.

zedsdead
Jan 4, 2009, 06:49 AM
Well this all sounds good, once they announce the iMac at MW, when does it hit the shelves, immediately?

Also, does Apple ever lower their prices after a few months of releasing a new product. Or do they stay the same until even newer models come out.

Sorry, old thread, but I was gone for a while and didn't wanna make a new one.

Prices will remain the same. The Mini hasn't been updated in over 500 days, and was outdated the day it came out. Still steels for the same price.

As for availability, when Apple announces Macs, they are around within a day to two weeks at the most.

Hellhammer
Jan 4, 2009, 11:43 AM
Prices will remain the same. The Mini hasn't been updated in over 500 days, and was outdated the day it came out. Still steels for the same price.

As for availability, when Apple announces Macs, they are around within a day to two weeks at the most.

New Macs' prices will not go down before new ones are released. But when new ones released older one price will go down ~50-100

singhy44
Jan 4, 2009, 12:31 PM
Quad-Core is possible, but I'm happy with mine. Hopefully there will be some more info on Snow Leopard. I heard the new iMac (and Mini) would get the nVidia integrated chipsets, but isn't that a step backwards for all but the cheapest one? Unless they do the same as the new MBP, with the hybrid graphics and all. However, since Steve isn't going to be giving a keynote, the rumours have been less sensational.

Hellhammer
Jan 4, 2009, 02:46 PM
I heard the new iMac (and Mini) would get the nVidia integrated chipsets, but isn't that a step backwards for all but the cheapest one? Unless they do the same as the new MBP, with the hybrid graphics and all. However, since Steve isn't going to be giving a keynote, the rumours have been less sensational.

Not intergrated, same as in MacBooks I think. So 9400 or 9600

gr81mgbgt
Jan 4, 2009, 08:41 PM
when will these be announced? if there are new imac's...... January 5th or 9th?

Proteus4
Jan 4, 2009, 09:33 PM
when will these be announced? if there are new imac's...... January 5th or 9th?

Probably January 6th.

macaddictann
Jan 5, 2009, 11:26 AM
I'm so darned excited about the possibility of an improved iMac. One day is too long to wait! My 8-year-old Powerbook finally "died" over the weekend (it might be the video card?). It's time for me to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the...well...further into the 21st century.

I've decided that they pretty much can't offer a bad update. Even if it has no Firewire, I'll manage. But I did call Apple today to ask about the Adobe education deal and if they expect that to remain in force after anything new comes out. The guy said it's a "while supplies last" deal, with no set end date.

A brand-new and powerful computer...CS4 for $100...it doesn't get any better than this. (Well, having the money for a MacPro would be better, but...) I know there's going to be a catch somewhere. Maybe they'll jack up the price. Maybe...well, I guess that's the only real risk, and I don't think it's a very big one.