Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYU02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Ok so I bought the macbook today but I didn't open it because I'm trying to figure out the math. My plan was to have the MB so I can travel with an apple screen for when I'm home. Most of my use will be at home so I was thinking the refurb air rev A would be better (and looks cooler!) for my little travels and an Imac for my home. So here is the math and tell me what you think:

option 1:

MB 2.4 1600 + 24inch Mac screen 900 = 2500

Option 2:

MBA Rev. A refurb 1150 + 24inch Imac 1700 = 2850

So for 300 more I get an Imac which is more powerful with better card then a MB and the air for light use when travel around.

What does everyone think? If I get the rev a refurb will it last a couple years on light use?

Thanks,
NYU02

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
I would get the MBA + iMac. It's proven to be a good combo.

It would make a great combo, however be on the lookout for a new mac mini (Jan 09) as separate 24" LCDs prices are coming down making it cheaper than an imac.

NYU02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
yea, thats true but I would def want an apple screen and I think they are updating the imac as well in jan. I would get the refurb air now and wait a month on the imac

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
FWIW the Air + iMac is a good combo.

However, it constantly baffles me when someone buys something and refuses to open it on the off chance they may return it. Me, every portable I've purchased in a store was fired up in the car. I'm impatient I guess.

NYU02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
yea, I wish I was more like you jessica. I second guess myself all the time.

So you think go with air+imac for 300 more?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Jesus :rolleyes:, I was merely saying it baffled me and it is probably weird for me to fire the machines up in my car, but I do.
I think the Air and the iMac are a great combo.

andyOSX

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I think get you should def get the iMac/air combo. I'm speaking from experience. I have a rev A MBP connected to a 23" ACD and am anxiously awaiting my MBA which should come by Thursday.

I loved the idea of having a laptop I could just unplug and take with me without syncing everything and take it all to go. But in reality I can't live without a dedicated desktop. It's so great to not have to unplg everything/ unmount all drives, reach around for the power adapter etc.

But more importantly it's great to have a desktop you can leave on 24/7 while you're out with your MBA because it can download torrents, record shows with eyetv, stream my entire 35gb music library to my iPhone (simplify) or even be a file server for the MBA. The list goes on as I'm sure you can imagine.

Basically my old mbp will stay connected to the monitor/keyboard mouse etc and act as a desktop like your iMac would. Also with the advent of time capsule/airport disk/802.11n ec syncing/streamng etc is far easier, more reliable and usable than it used t be, even with g.

I say get the combo and don't look back. Hope this helps.

PS: you might want to wait for the core i7 iMacs around mid 2009.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
If the wired article about upcoming mac mini upgrade at Macworld is true, you might consider a MBA + Mac Mini + 24 inch monitor come January. I might sell my MB and do that this January if the new mini can do 4 gigs of ram easily.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Why get a refurbished MBA when you can get it NEW for that same price?

Jessica, don't talk about some of us like that :p (shhhh keep it a secret ;))

NYU02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
where can you get a new one for the same price?

It looks like no one thinks the mb + screen is better and I tend to agree. I just hope its not because I posted in the MBA forum:D

NYU02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
yea, that is with a mail in rebate. Thanks.

If I do get an air and an imac which is what I probably what I'm going to do, is there a way to have my mac mail and itunes list on both comps. I know its prob the wrong place to put this but figured you guys like this set up better so one of you has done this.

Thanks,
NYU02

NYU02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
question about MBA's screen vs new MB screen

I hear people say they returned their MB and got the air bc the screen was so much better. I just got a new rev. A air and the screen is very nice (althought if I put my face to the screen I see some lines but I guess that's normal) but a part of me is saying why did I spend the same amount when I could get a new MB. I hear the MB screen are far worse.

Can someone explain the difference. Aren't they both glossy?

Thanks,
NYU02

NYU02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Question about previous post & why did you buy an AIR

Ok, I've been asking a lot of questions because I'm confused as always and I value everyone's opinion. I got a rev A air and so far so good. I bought it because it looks great, it's thin and it does what I want it to do. Not that I need anymore power but I find myself asking why i got it over the new MB when the size difference is so small but the performance is very different.

Just curious why other people picked the AIR.

Thanksm
NYU02

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
I hear people say they returned their MB and got the air bc the screen was so much better. I just got a new rev. A air and the screen is very nice (althought if I put my face to the screen I see some lines but I guess that's normal) but a part of me is saying why did I spend the same amount when I could get a new MB. I hear the MB screen are far worse.

Can someone explain the difference. Aren't they both glossy?

Thanks,
NYU02
I had both and I love the screen on the new Alum macbook, However needed a lighter Laptop, the MB is a awesome machine.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

When I was in the market for a new laptop, I took a glimpse at Apple products since I already owned the iPhone. I looked at Apple's laptop line and when I laid my eyes upon the Air- I instantly fell in love.

I loved it because it's thin, light, and speedy for being the low end spec for a laptop from Apple's current laptop line. Keyboard is absolutely gorgeous.

I call it a piece of art. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The Air suites me perfectly. For being a newbie switcher from being a die hard Windows user- I don't think I'll be going back. :)

buckawheat

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
Three reasons

1. The screen is much better than the new macbook's.

2. I wanted a PC which I could slip into the back of my work laptop bag and take with me on trips so I could keep in touch (isight). At 3 pounds and very slim, it does this. I have a 3.06 24" imac at home - this is where I do anything heavy - the air is just for surfing, chatting and email on the road.

3. I have absolutely no need for an optical disc drive. I carry 4 different work computers (Toshiba R500, Lenovo X300, Lenovo X61 and Lenovo T43 - I've used the optical drives on these computers twice in total (in 3 years).

Mine is a Rev A that I bought second hand off of ebay - perfect for my needs.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
I've owned/own A revA MBA, a black Macbook, a MBP, and an iMAC. I traval a lot (usually flying somewhere every week).

The black MAcbook was pretty good but at 5 pounds and not the greatest screen in the world it was not ideal.

For the metal body, better screen, and backlit keyboard I went with a 15" MBP. Beautiful machine but really too big and heavy for an ideal travel machine for me.

When the MBA came out it had all the things I liked about the MBP in a package that was significantly smaller, thinner, and lighter so I got one. My particular unit runs cooler than my MB or MBP did and seems to have no issues. Not only did I save the 2.5 pounds over my MBP but it allowed me to save a carryon and about 10 pounds as a system (smaller case that fits inside my normal carryon, fewer, smaller, lighter accessories etc).

The MBA quickly became my main machine, although I still use my iMac for a few things that require more power or capacity.

The new Macbook seemed promising at first. I did the "wow, I should have waited" thing. But screen quality is extremely important to me and as it turns out Apple scrimped on the new MB screen so its not an acceptable solution for me. Back to feeling great about my MBA.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I agree it is lighter and I want to keep it but its 1.5 pounds lighter. Is it that big of a difference?

Most definitely. I carried a 15" PowerBook through college. It was not hard because at the time, aside from the iBook it was the lightest laptop offered that had that power that I needed/wanted. However, if I had this Air at the time I would have had a better chance of not having to carry a couple of books in hand and a couple in a bag. The size of this thing is sheer genius in my opinion.

If the MB was all I had to carry, it is light enough to me not to worry, but the Air, now that I finally have one in hand, is amazing.

NYU02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
I am confused why everyone thinks the screen is so much better on the AIR over the MB. From what I read, it looks like that is it's weakest feature. The lines issue seems to be very common

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.