PDA

View Full Version : Rock Does Not Rule

Sasha3
Feb 24, 2004, 11:49 AM
Does anybody who dips into this forum listen to anything other than rock? As an avid music collector and amateur musician I listen to all sorts of styles. How about dead European white guy music? Choral efforts-Gregorian chants and Eastern European vocal ensembles-and anything that glorifys the human voice? Theremin noodling...anything!

vollspacken
Feb 24, 2004, 12:30 PM
I had a Big Briar Theremin until about half a year ago... sold it though, for double the price I paid for it... :D

I agree with you:

Rock stinks... I can't stand cheap-a** rock music anymore... I don't want to offend anyone (and I apologize if I do), but the only rock album I bought in three years was the new "Probot" CD...

vSpacken

Sasha3
Feb 24, 2004, 12:59 PM
NO NO NO! I did not mean that rock stinks! I love the stuff and have the scars from Mabuhay Gardens from too many Dead Kennedys shows to prove it; not to mention the hearing loss. But there is so much more out there. I am constantly delighted to hear a melody in a popular song and then find out it was lifted from Bach or Mahler or Beethoven. Brit prog rock bands do this a lot. And if not for the giants of yore Andrem Lloyd Weber wouldn't have the foundation to build his own work on.

The Dreaming
Feb 25, 2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Sasha3
NO NO NO! I did not mean that rock stinks! I love the stuff and have the scars from Mabuhay Gardens from too many Dead Kennedys shows to prove it; not to mention the hearing loss. But there is so much more out there. I am constantly delighted to hear a melody in a popular song and then find out it was lifted from Bach or Mahler or Beethoven. Brit prog rock bands do this a lot. And if not for the giants of yore Andrem Lloyd Weber wouldn't have the foundation to build his own work on.

Kate Bush.

The Dreaming
Feb 25, 2004, 02:39 PM
Rock stinks... I can't stand cheap-a** rock music anymore... I don't want to offend anyone (and I apologize if I do), but the only rock album I bought in three years was the new "Probot" CD...

vSpacken

You're right. Nobody's playing rock anymore. The only people who are playing it are the ones that started playing it 20-40 years ago. It's as if people have forgotten how to play. The only band that is doing it, arguably, is the Rolling Stones... even after forty years! They've got their sh#t down. -Always have really. They're playing better now in a lot of cases then they've done before (live, that is). But yeah, I understand the frustration to find respectable music out there. I'm an avid audiophile with many tastes, but I'm sort of forced to stay within this arbitrary template of sound. -Due to lack of selection. Plus, don't even get me started on poor recordings. It's endless.

Bartholomew
Feb 27, 2004, 02:18 AM
I enjoy plenty of newer rock-oriented bands. Some poppier than others, some mellower. . . and, of course, I enjoy plenty of non-rock. I love Wilco, Spoon, Built to Spill, Yo La Tengo, Dmitri Shostakovich, Jimmy Smith, Hank Williams, Frédéric Chopin, J.S. Bach, the Beatles, the Band, Will Oldham, Portishead, Old 97's, Mogwai, the Dirty Three, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, and way, way too many others to name. I oppose no particular genre, other than bad music.

WinterMute
Feb 27, 2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by The Dreaming
Kate Bush.

Katie lives down my road, just had her first baby, I'll say hi for you...:D ;)

I worked with her many years ago on the demos for the Hounds of Love album, she's a hard woman to please in the studio and a painfully shy and sweet one outside of it.

She's been a virtual recluse for the last few years, she really didn't like the reaction Red Shoes got.

I've seen her maybe 5 times in the 8 years I've been here, spoken to her 2 or 3 times, and only cos she recognised me after I said hi...

She's not one you could call a friend, and I don't think I'd be very welcome to "drop by". She's very close to completing her new album.

Frisco
Feb 27, 2004, 07:16 PM
House Music Rules the World!

Rock is for Pot Heads and if it's Rap it gotta be crap!

LethalWolfe
Feb 28, 2004, 01:03 AM
Sasha3,
By "rock" are you refering to the "rock 'n roll" genre or are you more widely refering to, for lack of a better term "rock based" music (usually 1 or 2 guitars, drums, bass, vocalist etc.,)? For example, MegaDeth falls into the heavy metal genre which is different than the rock 'n roll genre, but both are subsets of "rock music" in general (at least that's how I see it). Does that make sense?

Some bands I like that do not fall under the greater rock umbrella are Dead Cand Dance, Mediaeval Baebes, and Black Tape for a Blue Girl.

Originally posted by vollspacken

vSpacken

cheap-a@@ music, period, stinks (which is pretty much everything that gets played on the radio). There is plently of great music out there (from every genre), but odds are it's getting little/no air play.

Lethal

Sasha3
Feb 28, 2004, 05:24 AM
Finally something I can respond to. Yes, I was refering to rock based music, as you put it, inclusive of all the sub genres. Dead Can Dance is a good example of something I'd like to see mentioned more of in this forum. Or Emily Beezar. Yes. Krystof Penderecki, Anton Brukner; the list can go on.
Open it up to more of the noise that isn't cleared by Clear Channel. You get the drift.

Steradian
Mar 5, 2004, 12:49 PM

Rock is for Pot Heads and if it's Rap it gotta be crap!

dude, you are such a Troll ;)

Expand your tastes, their are some awesome Rock albums that I am POSSITVE that you haven't even heard. Hell their are some great Rap Albums that really don't deserve to be called crap. Eh your choice

dukemeiser
Mar 5, 2004, 09:51 PM
Rock is such a generic term. And I wish iTunes would subcategorize its Rock section. I'd like to see modern rock or metal as choices.

greenday rule
Jan 11, 2006, 10:24 AM
ROCK MUSIC RULES and noone say it dusnt it duz think about it
1: rap is tokin
2: pop is ..... cumon crap
3: old stuff can be good if its u2 deep purple or nirvana but thats all

greenday rule by the way the most:D

Kernow
Jan 11, 2006, 10:42 AM

You joined up and resurrected a dead thread to say this. I'm guessing you really like Greenday. :rolleyes:

Tel
Jan 11, 2006, 01:27 PM
Rock does rule. Wether you're a fan of the genre or not the fact is that without rock, music would be very different from what it is today. Rock music during the 60's and 70's really helped to open people up to the possibilities of music. A lot of it had to do with the anti-war message that certain artists conveyed to the audience which showed people for the first time that it was ok to stand up for what they believed in and that they didn't have to be just another sheep in the heard. Since then. many other artist from a variety of different genres enjoyed the freedom and decreased censorship that the rock movement during that time helped to provoke.

Counterfit
Jan 11, 2006, 01:46 PM

I smell fish...
Rock does rule. Wether you're a fan of the genre or not the fact is that without rock, music would be very different from what it is today. Rock music during the 60's and 70's really helped to open people up to the possibilities of music. A lot of it had to do with the anti-war message that certain artists conveyed to the audience which showed people for the first time that it was ok to stand up for what they believed in and that they didn't have to be just another sheep in the heard. Since then. many other artist from a variety of different genres enjoyed the freedom and decreased censorship that the rock movement during that time helped to provoke.
Funny thing about that. Jazz beat rock to it by at least 10 years in most cases. Go find (beg/borrow/etc.) "Free Jazz" by Ornette Coleman. It was recorded in the mid 50's, and has more freedom than anything out there. Granted, it'll probably tough to listen to all in one shot, as they use some REALLY weird harmonies at times.

Jaffa Cake
Jan 11, 2006, 01:46 PM
How about dead European white guy music?Like John Lennon?

rockthecasbah
Jan 12, 2006, 04:02 PM
I'm selective about my music in general, so i won't say any one genre rules or doesn't. I will however say it angers me when people only listen to one genre of music and don't expose themselves. Doing so has made me like certain rock music less and less, but some even more. Even more so, as stated before, "rock" is so broad, and saying you've listened to Rock and not liked may not be wise, as there may be some great new artist you've never heard of that won't have listened to because of your preconceived notion that all rock is (this).

So before people jump the gun and go "ROCK STINKS" or "ROCK RULES" you should really open yourself to many varieties of music, and keep an open mind... people's tastes change, and one day you may be surprised by discovering that for yourself.

Les Kern
Jan 12, 2006, 04:32 PM

Oh GOD.
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
ThumpThumpThumpThump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
ThumpThumpThumpThump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
Thump
ThumpThumpThumpThumpThumpThumpThump

Fifteen minutes of that crap and I'm ready to put a bullet in my head.
Rock DOES rule, but too many have lost their way and are more interested in finding the "new" band that will impress their friends.
You will be back when you mature.

Les Kern
Jan 12, 2006, 04:35 PM
You're right. Nobody's playing rock anymore.
Read first sentence = scroll to next post
What a dumb statement.

mike3k
Jan 12, 2006, 08:01 PM
I listen to mostly 'world music', in particular lots of West African stuff. The only 'mainstream' rock I listen to is Dave Matthews Band, and they're not really rock.

Xtremehkr
Jan 12, 2006, 08:48 PM
At some point, rock was tamed. Rap was the new rock for a while, but has become just as sterile and formulaic.

Every now and then a really good group comes along though, and saves the genre from blending into a neverending array of pop.

I'd like to see rock become dangerous again.

Sic
Jan 13, 2006, 03:37 AM
the problem is, genre of music's image can become popular, and does. most people don't actually listen to music because they like music. it's an easy way to create an image for yourself. if you're not the sort of person who needs an image, or needs to fall into a particular social group, then chances are you'll make a pretty decent music fan.

whenever ANY genre becomes popular, it always gets watered down to the point where it becomes so annoying that i want to push a hypodermic needle into my eye. I'm only 20, so i can't really comment on music that was released before me, but i've seen Rap/Gangsta hip hop turn all of these little victims into gangsters, not really getting the point of where the music originated from, and generally doing everything the wrong way round. i guess the people who made gangsta rap originally would be disappointed with their fanbase because they're getting into guns and drugs because of music, and not the other way round, as a means to getting themselves out of poverty. the thing that annoys me most, is it's middle-class white kids who are getting into the rap scene, and totally parodying themselves because, whilst the music can be for anybody, the image isnt.

The same goes for "nu-emo" (so called, because bands like Mohinder and Fugazi would be disappointed in me for calling Funeral for a Friend and MCR "emo", when they clearly are not) which is just a watered down version of the genre that occurred in the mid-late 80s, and now just appears to be any suburbian, pale-faced kid who can scream grabbing a microphone and yelling about how distraught he is that he can't find his other converse all-star.

the problem with Rock, is that it's the most-embraced music for the masses, so naturally, we have band after diluted band, calling themselves Rock/alt and making music with no feeling and no soul, just because a record company are going to give them a few dollars to ruin the scene. it pains me to mention Nickelback, but they're probably the best example of what Rock music should be like. there's just so much crap to wade through, you tend to miss it.

good music is there for everyone, in every genre...the only problem is (like with the OP) they expect it to be handed to them for free. when was anything in this world that's worth having, given for free?

Cooknn
Jan 13, 2006, 08:11 AM
At some point, rock was tamed.I happened upon the website for a new band called Flyleaf (www.flyleafmusic.com). The female lead is anything but tame :eek: Funny though, how rock changes over the years. The early 70's (late 60's for that matter) were classic years for rock. Then the late 70's got kinda pop'd a bit and the 80's... Well, then there was the early 90's with bands like Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine & Pearl Jam - what another classic era!

It's like a cycle IMHO. The key is to recognize it while it's happening and not 15 years later :D

3rdpath
Jan 13, 2006, 12:59 PM
thanks for the flyleaf link-cool stuff.

funny they should come from an area of texas more well known for jarheads and speedtraps, then again, their music may indeed reflect that.:D

may try and catch them when they're here next month.

Counterfit
Jan 13, 2006, 01:36 PM
and the 80's...
Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Pantera? There was more to the 80's than Poison, Whitesnake, and Europe. :p

LethalWolfe
Jan 13, 2006, 03:14 PM
Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Pantera? There was more to the 80's than Poison, Whitesnake, and Europe. :p

Cowboys From Hell didn't come out 'til '90. Pre CFH Pantera was hair metal. But to add to your list there are the likes of Iron Maiden, Slayer, Helloween, Celtic Frost, AC/DC, Motorhead, Guns 'n Roses, Danzig, Queensryche, etc.,.

Cooknn,
Go back and look at the billboard charts from the 50's to today. They are ALL pretty much covered w/bubblegum pop. The idea that rock 'n roll was more "pure" back in '60's (or whatever) is just hazy nostalgia. The songs, and bands, that had legs (and were tied to social upheaval of the day) are the ones we remember and talk about, but that doesn't mean they were the only bands back then.

Lethal

Cooknn
Jan 13, 2006, 03:49 PM
Cooknn,
Go back and look at the billboard charts from the 50's to today. They are ALL pretty much covered w/bubblegum pop. The idea that rock 'n roll was more "pure" back in '60's (or whatever) is just hazy nostalgia. The songs, and bands, that had legs (and were tied to social upheaval of the day) are the ones we remember and talk about, but that doesn't mean they were the only bands back then.

LethalHazy for me didn't start till the late 70's :o You're correct regarding the pop parallel though. What I was referring to was more along the lines of rock kinda poppin out in the late 70's. Personally I never got too much into the rock of the 80's. Not sure what the heck I was listening to but it wasn't Motley Crue.

Tel
Jan 13, 2006, 09:34 PM
I smell fish...

Funny thing about that. Jazz beat rock to it by at least 10 years in most cases. Go find (beg/borrow/etc.) "Free Jazz" by Ornette Coleman. It was recorded in the mid 50's, and has more freedom than anything out there. Granted, it'll probably tough to listen to all in one shot, as they use some REALLY weird harmonies at times.

Jazz may have been doing it for years before rock but thats besides the point. The fact is that Jazz is only taken notice of generally by Jazz fans, the Rock movement in the 60's-70's was so big a commercial that it could not be ignored by anyone. It was so in your face that people, especially young people, finally had artists in the media to represent their freedom as oppose to before when all music in the media was generally very censored and very generic. It just so happened that the Rock movement promoted world peace and at a time when the US was invading Vietnam this caused a problem for the US, the more it might try to censor their music, the more angry people would be because it would be proving exactly what they had been saying all along. This is what caused the US to have to come to major compromises regarding censorship and arguably what has given us such an open form of expression when it comes to music today.