PDA

View Full Version : Too Damn Hot!


The Bender
Jun 9, 2002, 05:12 AM
I'm burning up here in my lab. After a nice cool spring, summer has come all at once, and the last couple of days has been 38 C. We only get a few weeks over 35 each summer. Usually it's cooler up here in Jerusalem than the rest of the country, where there's also high humidity, but there's an atmospheric phenomenon that occurrs occasionally to reverse this. The hottest I've known was 44. Man, Imay go home. It's 33 in the lab (fantastic air conditioning), and some of the solvents are starting to boil in their bottles. Last night when I went out at 11 it was 28. I'm not built for this - I'm a poor pallid Brit. Back in the Old Country I uesd to pass out if it went over 25. I have a clifornian friend, however, who seems to think this is Spring!

Can anyone beat 38 today? If so, I bet your A/C is better than mine.

:cool:

iGav
Jun 9, 2002, 05:32 AM
38 C... 38 C ...... hope you ain't got a TiBook..... nasty....... :p

I'm in Coventry at the moment, visitng my family....... and it's about 11 C maybe 12 C ....... basically it's cold......... rainy and miserable....... :(

Englands weather sucks......... :rolleyes: :( :p

britboy
Jun 9, 2002, 05:37 AM
Mmmmmm..... sound lovely :)

I grew up in the middle east, loving the heat. Spending the weekend out in the Empty Quarter.... nice...

At least you're probably getting a great tan :p

The Bender
Jun 9, 2002, 06:01 AM
No way I'm going close enough to the outside to get a tan. Work-taxi-home is my plan for the day. Gonna have to postpone that trip to the library.

Just had a nice time in the walk-in chemicals freezer. Pretty envigorating, but worryingly smelly in there. If I get addicted to that place, I'll probably end up growing a couple of extra heads or something.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me why I moved out here, iGAV. I was in Birmingham 1990-1997. btw, have you been to Bham recently? Have they finally replaced the Bull Ring with something that doesn't frighten off casual passers by?

iGav
Jun 9, 2002, 06:16 AM
I've not been to Birmingham since the late 90's........

I used to live in Coventry (was at the Uiversity from 1996 to 99) left as soon as I could....... (actually I was born in Coventry too...... the shame of it :eek: but only live there till I was 3... so luckily I never picked up the accent!! :p )

As for the Bull Ring.... as far as I know it was bulldozed last year..... or atleast demolition began last year........ God only knows what they're building instead....... although it can't be as bad as what Coventry Council has done to Coventry......... :eek: :rolleyes: :( truely shocking!!!

I should have added this to the useless trivia section...... but did you know that Coventry has the worlds largest weather predicting station....... :D :p

The Bender
Jun 9, 2002, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
did you know that Coventry has the worlds largest weather predicting station....... :D :p

Yah yah! and Birmingham has more miles of canal than Venice.

14:30 and the temperature's still rising. 35 in the lab now: the boiling point of ether. Yeah baby, open another bottle! It's time to paaaaaaarty!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

mac15
Jun 9, 2002, 06:40 AM
it was a nice 18C today
aaaaaggggghhhhh....ow yeah:D

The Bender
Jun 9, 2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by mac15
it was a nice 18C today
aaaaaggggghhhhh....ow yeah:D

Yowzer, time for a hot toddy. I don't think you southern hemisphersh people count though, You should really be having a cold conversation, in which 18 would be a pretty poor performance:D .
Hey, I have cousins on my wife's side in Sydney. Do you know them?:rolleyes:

Ooh, time to play with some chloroform. Call an ambulance if I'm not back in 10 minutes!:eek:

Zenith
Jun 9, 2002, 06:56 AM
So it's hot in Jerusalem too?

The weather here in Norway is rarely as hot as it is nowadays. The temperature climbs up to about 30 C in the evening, and it's still early June! It's always warmer in July. I do remember that there was a record set in 1994 when it got to 34,3 C, and I think it's time for a new record now, based on the temperatures we've had the last week.

Man, 30 C in Norway feels so different from the 30 C you get in southern Europe. I think it's because of the dry air we have "up here". I really enjoy the weather, but my comp seems to struggle in this warm...

The Bender
Jun 9, 2002, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Zenith
here in Norway about 30 C in the evening, and it's still early June!

Whoa, that I would never have figured. I reckon you must all be using too much hairspray or something. The hottest I remember experiencing in the UK was something like 32, although it gets hotter in London.

I have to say you're right that your surroundings make a difference. 30 in Jerusalem feels nice, but in the UK it lays me out. Conversely, 15 in Jerusalem feels like frostbite time, but in the UK is still all right. By that reasoning, 34 in Norway must equate to about 50 over here! Phew.

mac15
Jun 9, 2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by The Bender
Hey, I have cousins on my wife's side in Sydney. Do you know them?:rolleyes:


what are ther last names ......the benders :)

The Bender
Jun 9, 2002, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by mac15


what are ther last names ......the benders :)

So you DO know them? Cool, send my regards.:p


Damn! Been sitting on this plastic chair too long in this heat... stuck to it... can't get up... Ggggggg! Lucky it's got wheels - gonna have to wheel myself home and soak it off.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Falleron
Jun 9, 2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
I've not been to Birmingham since the late 90's........

I used to live in Coventry (was at the Uiversity from 1996 to 99) left as soon as I could....... (actually I was born in Coventry too...... the shame of it :eek: but only live there till I was 3... so luckily I never picked up the accent!! :p )

As for the Bull Ring.... as far as I know it was bulldozed last year..... or atleast demolition began last year........ God only knows what they're building instead....... although it can't be as bad as what Coventry Council has done to Coventry......... :eek: :rolleyes: :( truely shocking!!!

I should have added this to the useless trivia section...... but did you know that Coventry has the worlds largest weather predicting station....... :D :p

I am cov uni now! Just finishing off my final year!!! The bull ring has been demosihed and they are building a huge new shopping complex -- about 200 new shops I think!! Birmingham is great now!! There is so much going on!!

The Bender
Jun 9, 2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Falleron
Birmingham is great !!

I knew I would someday live to hear those words.


Where's Coventry Uni? Didn't know there was such a place unless you mean Warwick? Do you mean Warwick, and if so... Do they still have the revolving cone?

Seem to be a lot of brits around... Maybe because the yanks haven't woken up yet. In fact I've only just realized that I'm the only one at work today (Israeli week is Sun-Thur), thus explaining the lack of bustle on the old interweb.

Falleron
Jun 9, 2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by The Bender


I knew I would someday live to hear those words.


Where's Coventry Uni? Didn't know there was such a place unless you mean Warwick? Do you mean Warwick, and if so... Do they still have the revolving cone?

Seem to be a lot of brits around... Maybe because the yanks haven't woken up yet. In fact I've only just realized that I'm the only one at work today (Israeli week is Sun-Thur), thus explaining the lack of bustle on the old interweb.
Coventry Uni is in the center of the city. Warwick is about 3 miles out or so. we dont mix, leads to problems! :) Not sure about the revolving cone? In the center? If so, no.

The Bender
Jun 9, 2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Falleron
Coventry Uni is in the center of the city.

Funny, I've never heard of it, but on the other hand I never hung out in Cov. The closest I ever got was sharing a house with a Rude Boy back in 1991. By the end of the year I had him listening to 60s psychedelia and I was into The Selecter and The Specials!

Ooh, them were the days.

Falleron
Jun 9, 2002, 08:35 AM
Would have thought it would be quite hard to miss! The main regestration building is opposite the cathedral + has a big sign saying cov uni :p

The Bender
Jun 9, 2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Falleron
Would have thought it would be quite hard to miss! The main regestration building is opposite the cathedral + has a big sign saying cov uni :p

Well that explains it then: I'm Jewish and I can't read! :p :D

whfsdude
Jun 9, 2002, 08:46 AM
Ahh it's 19˚ C over here :•)

With a nice breeze =)

The Bender
Jun 9, 2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by whfsdude
Ahh it's 19˚ C over here :•)

With a nice breeze =)

There's a breeze here too. Unfortunately the air is hotter than body temperature though, so it feels like the blast from a jet engine.

On the bright side, it's time to walk down the street to do some work in a different lab. That lab has proper air conditioning. And Macs (instead of this ******* Compaq). And an Argentinian to gloat at about Friday's footie result.

iGav
Jun 9, 2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Falleron
Would have thought it would be quite hard to miss! The main regestration building is opposite the cathedral + has a big sign saying cov uni :p

Heh heh heh..... I can't believe that I'm on a mac site, having conversations about Coventry Uni............. totally mad........

Cov Uni used to be the Polytechnic..... up until 1991 ish... or sometime around there.......... but the Uni is famous for its Transport Design Course.... infact the whole of the Uni lives of the success of this course...... :p

So falleron what course you doing at Coventry????

britboy
Jun 9, 2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by The Bender


Well that explains it then: I'm Jewish and I can't read! :p :D


That explains why you're in israel (the being jewish part, not the illiteracy :D)

szark
Jun 9, 2002, 10:19 AM
We're supposed to get up to that today -- 38 C / 100 F

I've experienced 46 C / 115 F myself, and I know it has gotten up to 49 C / 120 F here in previous years... :eek:

But it stays around 27 C / 80 F in the house -- my A/C works great!!! :cool:

iGav
Jun 9, 2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by szark
We're supposed to get up to that today -- 38 C / 100 F

I've experienced 46 C / 115 F myself, and I know it has gotten up to 49 C / 120 F here in previous years... :eek:

But it stays around 27 C / 80 F in the house -- my A/C works great!!! :cool:

49 C....... phew........ I'd have some of that....... I can't even imagine that kind of heat....... the hottest I've experienced is around 34 C and that was great..... but 49 that's wild....... does everyone just stay in doors in that kind of heat......???

The Bender
Jun 9, 2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by szark
We're supposed to get up to that today -- 38 C / 100 F

I've experienced 46 C / 115 F myself, and I know it has gotten up to 49 C / 120 F here in previous years... :eek:

But it stays around 27 C / 80 F in the house -- my A/C works great!!! :cool:

Just got home to my beloved A/C myself. Praise the Lord! :D Unfortunately a problem to keep a chemistry lab cool in this weather as safety dictates changing all the air every 2 minutes. Still, it can be done, just expensive.

I've been in the high 40s down by the dead sea, but only between the bus and the pool. Can't imagine living in that heat, although I guess you just stay out of it. Problem is when the A/C packs up. When the weather gets hot here, there's suddenly a massive increase in the popularity of indoor malls, particularly among people who can't afford A/C (in Jerusalem it's a luxury, unlike other parts of the country).

I reckon you're gonna be ahead of me soon. Apparently it'll be a cool 36 tomorrow!
:)

Falleron
Jun 9, 2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by iGAV


Heh heh heh..... I can't believe that I'm on a mac site, having conversations about Coventry Uni............. totally mad........

Cov Uni used to be the Polytechnic..... up until 1991 ish... or sometime around there.......... but the Uni is famous for its Transport Design Course.... infact the whole of the Uni lives of the success of this course...... :p

So falleron what course you doing at Coventry????

I am doing Geography and Computing (Joint Degree). Actually, for geography, they are in the top 10 uni's apparently!

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2002, 10:52 AM
wanna talk about hot?! :cool:

Summers in New Orleans...on hot days it'll get up to 95°...sometimes in the dead of summer on rare days 100°...

u pair that up with a humidity percentage of 85%....and the time it takes u to walk from your front door to your car u already feel coated with sweat...:rolleyes:

hope that doesn't deterr anyone from coming for Geek Fest though...

but it gets damned hot here in the south! :eek:

iGav
Jun 9, 2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Falleron


I am doing Geography and Computing (Joint Degree). Actually, for geography, they are in the top 10 uni's apparently!

I was going to freak if you had said Graphic Design......... :eek: :eek: :D :p

Cov Uni is a mixed place..... some course are like so highly regarded........ and others are empty courses where you couldn't recruit even if ypu were giving away free beer........ :p

So where you living in Cov?? and are you looking forward to leaving??

iGav
Jun 9, 2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

u pair that up with a humidity percentage of 85%....and the time it takes u to walk from your front door to your car u already feel coated with sweat...:rolleyes:


Ewww....... :p it sounds like the Tube in London on a July rush time charge at Oxford Street underground station!!!

Backtothemac
Jun 9, 2002, 11:00 AM
Well, I have been to Yuma Arizona when it was 126 degrees. I lived in New Orleans in the French Quarter for two years and saw the miserable heat that Eye was talking about. I have been in the midwest when it was 110 in Oklahoma. But, I can tell you that there is no hotter place in the US than Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Two years ago, we had 21 straight days over 100 degrees, with a relative humidity of 95 - 100 %. Most days here it is 100% and you cannot even breathe outside. It sucks. Anyone in Alabama, or that has been here can testify.

Falleron
Jun 9, 2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by iGAV


I was going to freak if you had said Graphic Design......... :eek: :eek: :D :p

Cov Uni is a mixed place..... some course are like so highly regarded........ and others are empty courses where you couldn't recruit even if ypu were giving away free beer........ :p

So where you living in Cov?? and are you looking forward to leaving??
I live about 5mins away from the center in good old hildfields!! :mad: To be honest, I cant wait until I get out of here!! The first year I was here it was great (in halls), the second year was ok, and the final year has been far too much work!!! Suppose its cos I am doing a joing degree! My last exam is on Friday, then I am no longer a Student!!! :D

iGav
Jun 9, 2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Falleron

I live about 5mins away from the center in good old hildfields!! :mad: To be honest, I cant wait until I get out of here!! The first year I was here it was great (in halls), the second year was ok, and the final year has been far too much work!!! Suppose its cos I am doing a joing degree! My last exam is on Friday, then I am no longer a Student!!! :D

That sounds exactly like my experience at Uni... the first year was blinding..... most of my friends were based at Singer Halls in Hillfields...... which was cool because u could visit everyone at once... then the second year everyone got houses all over town.... so the party slowed down... and then the final year was like work my a*se of to make up for 2 years of doing sweet F.A........

Hillfields though... you're not anywhere near that street where they've just found that body buried in someones Garden are you??? Coventry has it's own Fred and Rosemary West....... ;) it is actually very scary to think that people actually do this....... anyone would think it's full of hicks :eek: :(

Anyways good luck in you finals...... luckily i didn't have to do exams with the Graphic Design course, we just had a dissertation to do...... :D not to rub it in you understand.......

So you'll be off to the Oak then to celebrate the end of exams on Friday then for a beer in the sun.....?? that is of course if the rains eventually stops and it warms up alittle.....

Back to the topic though....... I don't know how people put up with those kind of humid conditions that seems to invade the deep south...... I don't mind arrid heat to much..... but when it gets to the point where you just sweat for no reason..... Ewww....... I hope the bars have decent A/C........ :D

Anyways.... it's 5:15 and I'm off to watch Schumi win the Canadian Grand Prix......

later guys...... ;)

szark
Jun 9, 2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by The Bender
Can't imagine living in that heat, although I guess you just stay out of it. Problem is when the A/C packs up. When the weather gets hot here, there's suddenly a massive increase in the popularity of indoor malls, particularly among people who can't afford A/C (in Jerusalem it's a luxury, unlike other parts of the country).

Generally, people stay indoors during the day, go to the water parks & lakes, or drive to Flagstaff or San Diego. And drink LOTS and LOTS of water.

Originally posted by Backtothemac
Well, I have been to Yuma Arizona when it was 126 degrees....Two years ago, we had 21 straight days over 100 degrees, with a relative humidity of 95 - 100 %. Most days here it is 100% and you cannot even breathe outside.

That humidity definitely is a killer -- I've experienced it on vacation in New Orleans and Alabama, and when I was living in the Chicago suburbs. We are usually over 100 degrees from June through August, but about 20% humidity (or less).

I've always wanted to drive out to Yuma to experience one of those REALLY hot days! :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2002, 12:22 PM
Its absolutely gorgeous here today, to nice to be inside, so I'm not going to be around much here this afternoon. Going for a nice run around 5 I think...don't mind heat, but I'd take days like today over 95 and humid anyday

The Bender
Jun 9, 2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Well, I have been to Yuma Arizona when it was 126 degrees. I lived in New Orleans in the French Quarter for two years and saw the miserable heat that Eye was talking about. I have been in the midwest when it was 110 in Oklahoma. But, I can tell you that there is no hotter place in the US than Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Two years ago, we had 21 straight days over 100 degrees, with a relative humidity of 95 - 100 %. Most days here it is 100% and you cannot even breathe outside. It sucks. Anyone in Alabama, or that has been here can testify.

That's gotta be the winner. I can't imagine that heat with the humidity on top. Down at the dead sea it can be in the high 40s but bearable because of virtually no humidity (just feels weird). Today is now officially Israel's hottest day in June since the 1950s, topping out at 47 in some places.
Wow, this is something I miss about the UK... talking about the weather! :p :p

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Its absolutely gorgeous here today, to nice to be inside, so I'm not going to be around much here this afternoon. Going for a nice run around 5 I think...don't mind heat, but I'd take days like today over 95 and humid anyday

that's it duke...keep rubbing your picture perfect life in our faces...he he he... ;)

I hope u know I am only kidding...I know nothing is perfect...

so what's the hottest temps u see in DC during summer?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2002, 03:03 PM
It gets nasty here, 90s and humid, no breeze. I've been out at lunch playing ultimate in those conditions, uggh. So I brought out a neumatic water gun (shoots over liter of water in one shot) and a ten gallon bucket of water. Who ever is on the sidelines shoots the players as they run down the field. Been doing that for 4 years now, if I dont' go out and its hot I get complaints.

We have had weeks were it stays around 100, but not often.

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
It gets nasty here, 90s and humid, no breeze. I've been out at lunch playing ultimate in those conditions, uggh. So I brought out a neumatic water gun (shoots over liter of water in one shot) and a ten gallon bucket of water. Who ever is on the sidelines shoots the players as they run down the field. Been doing that for 4 years now, if I dont' go out and its hot I get complaints.


That ultimate frisbee sounds like a hell of a lot of fun! I'm searching for a biking group to join here. I'm not sure what I'll find though...most people are either strictly streetstyle biking or hardcore mountain biking. I need to find the in between...

I did get offered to join a poetry group at a new art gallery...if I get involved enough maybe I'll be able to have my own photography showing? he he he ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart


That ultimate frisbee sounds like a hell of a lot of fun!

Its the best sport I've ever played, period. I've been doing it for 9 years now, love it.


I did get offered to join a poetry group at a new art gallery...if I get involved enough maybe I'll be able to have my own photography showing? he he he ;)

ah, were there females involved in this decission? I hope so, or I'd have to start worrying....;)

iwantanewmac
Jun 9, 2002, 04:46 PM
Did any of u guys went to the salt lakes in the US?
I was there a few years ago in summer.
MAN THAT'S HOTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!
I think it was over 50 celsius.
dont bring your laptop when yo u go there I guess.

Rower_CPU
Jun 9, 2002, 05:59 PM
That old saying is completely true: "It ain't the heat, it's the humidity"

Here in San Diego we're at a lovely 70-80? F and humidity stays pretty low.

Back in Hawaii it could get pretty sticky though, when you pair 80? F with 90%+ humidity...it's ridiculous. You take a shower to rinse the sweat off, and as soon as you get out and dried off you're already sweating again...but at least there are the beaches and the trade winds...

I want to go back.:(

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2002, 06:35 PM
I'll take a dry heat anyday. I remember running around the top of Akrocorinth in Greece, 95 and realy sunny. Every one with us was slowly plodding along, I'm dashing back and forth, running to the top of some of the hills to get better pics, etc. It was great. I'd not be able to do that if the humidity was high, I'd melt.

eyelikeart
Jun 10, 2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Its the best sport I've ever played, period. I've been doing it for 9 years now, love it.


ah, were there females involved in this decission? I hope so, or I'd have to start worrying....;)

9 years...that's pretty cool man....how did u get invovled? sorry if u already posted on this....I don't remember... :rolleyes:

and yes...as far as I know...the owner of the gallery is a woman...I'm waiting to hear more details....I've already offered myself to her....he he he :D

btw...no pizza chick on friday either...u guys are gonna be over it pretty soon... :eek: ;)

Rower_CPU
Jun 10, 2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
...
btw...no pizza chick on friday either...u guys are gonna be over it pretty soon... :eek: ;)

Yeah, probably…but the question is "Are you?":D

The Bender
Jun 10, 2002, 06:36 AM
Day 2 of 35 in the lab, and I think I'm starting to hallucinate. I'm also getting worried about what will happen when some poor Polish researcher tries to repeat my 'room temperature' results. All my findings will turn out to be irreproducable and I'll be austricised from the international scientific community. Then I'll have nothing to do but sit around and post dumb messages on interweb forums for the rest of my days.

Also not looking forward to it getting cooler again. Whenever this kind of heat happens, it seems to readjust to about 30, which then feels like the middle of winter. Reminds me of visiting the UK in the middle of summer, and everybody's in t-shirts except me, in jumper and coat.

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 10, 2002, 07:12 AM
been pretty hot here in berkeley too (but our labs are all ACed). cant sleep at night its so hot (not that i could sleep anyway, but the heat doesnt help).

but the worst heat i remember is in AZ. it was around 120°F/50°C. crazy heat. dont know the exact temp because the thermometer broke (it only went up to 120).

i was still running back then. did a 9 mile run in that heat (hilly country too). wasnt even sweating by the end, just covered in salt. spent the rest of the day rehydrating.

been in vegas a few times when its gotten hot. over 35 at night. thats crazy. who can sleep in heat like that?

its 5am here now, and i ant sleep. just lying around sweating.

eyelikeart
Jun 10, 2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU


Yeah, probably…but the question is "Are you?":D

hmm...considering the fact that I am not really interested in anyone at all presently...excluding the chance to get to know her...I'd say the answer is no...

I just don't want to keep going over there looking like a tool...or as some may call it...like I'm stalking her... :eek:

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2002, 08:48 AM
well, we're in for a bit of heat spell. Going up to the 90s today and hazy humidity, heat index of over 110....nice, could you pass me another towel

eyelikeart
Jun 10, 2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
nice, could you pass me another towel

actually...I gave it back to AlphaTech...

but I'm not sure if u are gonna want it after he's finished with it...

eeewwwww.... :eek: :D