Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I just removed my ibook's hd because my mobo failed :-( and it had my courcework on it that was due the next day (I put it in a 2.5" firewire caddy) it's insanely hard theres like 50 screws you have to come from the top and bottom and there are countless wires to dissconnect.

I would not recommend this to anyone other than an apple cert it's fricking hard

luckily i put every screw in the correct place I hope apple dose not realise that ive been pokeing around inside. dose any one know if they would?
i dident damage anything there already was a bit of the foam from the g3 missing (it was a refurb).

now to packege it off and hope :(

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah...

Yes, Apple will know if you have been poking around inside. Nearly impossible to hide it.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: Yeah...

Originally posted by appleretailguy
Yes, Apple will know if you have been poking around inside. Nearly impossible to hide it.
you gotta have tons of experience taking them apart and stuff.
i took my iBook apart to fiddle with some of the stuff, took me around 10 hours to take the case off, push things in and put the case back on. you should get one of the apple service manuals for the computer you're playing with.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: ibook hd swap

Originally posted by Hector
I just removed my ibook's hd because my mobo failed :-( and it had my courcework on it that was due the next day (snip)
um you shoulda used target disk mode.
get another mac, get the files off of it, etc.

if apple realizes you opened your iBook you're virtually screwed.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
firewire target mode dosen't work if your mobo's screwed duh.

my ibook was pretty messed up before i took it apart screws were missing ect.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
firewire target mode dosen't work if your mobo's screwed duh.
um depends on what part DUH.
so why dont you think before you reply.
If the firewire port doesnt work, then whatever. but if its something totally irrelevant and you can use target disk mode, then USE IT. You should have tried it before you took apart your iBook.
My logic board was screwed up and target disk mode worked for me.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by übergeek
If the firewire port doesnt work, then whatever. but if its something totally irrelevant and you can use target disk mode, then USE IT. You should have tried it before you took apart your iBook.

my mobo was cooked on my first iBook, just did target disk mode and made a dmg of the whole thing.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Originally posted by übergeek

I did try it and it dident work i was not aware that it can.

my ibook just chimes with a black screen and then the HD spins down i can get it into open firmware and boot from there but i get screwed up video and then it cuts out :-(.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
I did try it and it dident work i was not aware that it can.

my ibook just chimes with a black screen and then the HD spins down i can get it into open firmware and boot from there but i get screwed up video and then it cuts out :-(.
logic board of death> what does that have to do with booting into target disk mode?
unless your fw port is broken or you didnt have another mac, or you didnt know how to do target disk mode...or its not just your logic board...

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I dont want to get into an argument with you but.

read my post I tryed firewire target disk mode IT DID NOT WORK.

I do have another mac I have 3

my firewire port is not screwed my ipod still charges of it.

why you dont belive me i have no idea.

I have quite allot of experience with the logic bord of death with some ibooks you can use them for 10 minits or so before the video screws up and others wont boot at all NOT ALL IBOOKS ARE THE SAME.

my logic bord will not boot into anything not into os 9 not into 10 not even into firewire target disk mode.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
hey look think about it
unless your hard drive is ****ed, because your firewire port still works you should be able to use target disk mode
and i know all iBooks are different. But your problems indicate that nothing should prevent you from using target disk mode successfully.

and um just in case you didnt know eventually most logic boards that die will eventually refuse to boot.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Yeah, I opened my iBook up a while ago, too. Let me tell you this, they do *not* make it easy. I lost about five screws in the process, but a lot of the screws in there serve no purpose anyway. But once you open it the first time, it is easier afterwards. Good luck on getting the logicboard fixed.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
im holding myself back from some serious verble abuse here.

what type of sick person systematicly replys like that?

if they wont fix it i'll do it myself i can get a mobo for about £160

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Originally posted by latergator116
Yeah, I opened my iBook up a while ago, too. Let me tell you this, they do *not* make it easy. I lost about five screws in the process, but a lot of the screws in there serve no purpose anyway. But once you open it the first time, it is easier afterwards. Good luck on getting the logicboard fixed.

You sure those screws serve no purpose? That just doesn't sound right!

And lets not have any verbal abuse going on in here please. Save that for the political forums! (Just kidding, it's not welcome there either.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.