PDA

View Full Version : Refurbished iPhones Available from AT&T

MacRumors
Dec 17, 2008, 10:30 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/12/17/refurbished-iphones-available-from-atandt/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/12/17/112941-re.png
(http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/refurb-phones.jsp)

AT&T has started offering (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/refurb-phones.jsp) refurbished iPhones for discounted prices through their website.

The 8GB Black iPhone is available for $149 ($50 off) while the 16GB (White and Black) are available for $249 ($50 off). We're not sure how much stock is available. The last time AT&T offered refurbished iPhones, they sold out rather quickly.

Article Link: Refurbished iPhones Available from AT&T (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/12/17/refurbished-iphones-available-from-atandt/)

Drumjim85
Dec 17, 2008, 10:47 AM
be careful, they only have a 90 day warranty, not the full 1 year.

ninjadex
Dec 17, 2008, 10:56 AM
Plus it looks like you can't upgrade your current line. Is this for new customers only?

topher2889
Dec 17, 2008, 10:56 AM
be careful, they only have a 90 day warranty, not the full 1 year.

Based on what its says "90 days or more..check apple.com" I would think it meant that you get whatever is left of the warranty with that phone's serial but guaranteed at least 90 days. Could get lucky I suppose if this were the case

doodads
Dec 17, 2008, 11:04 AM
On the webpage it says:

"*2 yr contract-New service price. Limit one device per household."

mdwsta4
Dec 17, 2008, 11:08 AM
not a very good deal IMO. the original refurbs were like $150 off normal price and you didn't have to sign a contract.

for those talking about 90-day warranties, i'm sure just like the first gen refurbs, if you type in your serial number on apple's site it will tell you how long of a warranty that phone has. then you can contact ATT and they'll extend it a full year from your purchase date. at least that's what happened the first time around.

theMaccer
Dec 17, 2008, 11:16 AM
Can we purchase Applecare on this refurb?

SFStateStudent
Dec 17, 2008, 11:48 AM

I don't see why not...

alexbates
Dec 17, 2008, 12:34 PM
Why wouldn't you get a refurbished iPhone for $50 less? I know the warranty is not as long and it has used hardware. So what's wrong with old hardware if is is the same exact memory and CPU as any other new iPhone? I see buying a refurbished iPhone the same as buying a new iPhone as long as it is restored.

comacnut
Dec 17, 2008, 12:42 PM
I bought one for my wife for Christmas. The first time I tried it wouldn't let me add the refurb I could only set up a new line. I called customer support and they said it was only eligible on new accounts. I tried again a few minutes ago and everything went through fine. The $50 I saved will buy her a nice case and screen protector.

tys
Dec 17, 2008, 12:50 PM
I bought one for my wife for Christmas. The first time I tried it wouldn't let me add the refurb I could only set up a new line. I called customer support and they said it was only eligible on new accounts. I tried again a few minutes ago and everything went through fine. The $50 I saved will buy her a nice case and screen protector.

So you were able to upgrade an existing line?
Did you do it all online (if so, how?), or over the phone?

thanks,
tys

plan4
Dec 17, 2008, 01:12 PM
According to ATT, these are phones that have been returned within the 30 day examination period. They may have "slight" scratches. I was at the last page of the checkout when I decided to buy new. I was imagining just how scratched up a phone could get in 30 days.

For a lot of people, a few scratches are a worthwhile tradeoff for $50, but for me, this time, I want to walk away with a new phone and put my own scratches on it, and fill the ports with my own pocket lint.

doodads
Dec 17, 2008, 01:17 PM

You might want to check to make sure you didn't order a new line with the phone. AT&T told me that the refurbs aren't for existing lines. I tried a couple of times to upgrade my son's phone, and the refurb. 3G was never among the available choices.

nickXedge
Dec 17, 2008, 01:20 PM

I snagged up a first gen refurb when those were available earlier this year, before the 3G came out and I was able to get Applecare on it. So I would assume you can get it on these as well.

comacnut
Dec 17, 2008, 02:45 PM
Sorry, I think I described the situation poorly. I am a current customer, the phone is on a new line added to my family plan. The AT&T rep said the phone was for new customers only and could not be added to my family share plan. After a second shot online I was able to add the new line + iPhone to my existing family plan.

bytethese
Dec 17, 2008, 03:21 PM
not a very good deal IMO. the original refurbs were like $150 off normal price and you didn't have to sign a contract.

for those talking about 90-day warranties, i'm sure just like the first gen refurbs, if you type in your serial number on apple's site it will tell you how long of a warranty that phone has. then you can contact ATT and they'll extend it a full year from your purchase date. at least that's what happened the first time around.

Exactly. I was thinking of getting a phone for development and testing on the device. I could always swap my SIM from my phone to my dev phone if I needed to test "normal" functionality or if I just wanted to test accelerometer performance and multi-touch gestures, I can do it on the unactivated device.

Damn it AT&T/Apple, offer me a phone for dev purposes to make my life easier! :)

saturnino3
Dec 17, 2008, 08:57 PM
$149.99 for the 8GB and $249.99 for the 16GB

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/packages-details.jsp?q_sku=sku3210221&q_package=sku3170218&_requestid=845697

You have to sign a 2 year agreement though.

Surely
Dec 17, 2008, 09:02 PM
These are the parts I don't like:

Some refurbished iPhone 3G devices will have minor scratches.

I guess AT&T gets to define what constitutes "minor".

Refurbished iPhone 3G devices carry a warranty of 90 days or more. For details about the warranty on your refurbished iPhone 3G go to www.apple.com/support/oss/.

Is it worth saving $50 to possibly only have a 90 day warranty (yes, I know it could be longer than 90 days, but it most likely won't be the full year).

Quotes are from the AT&T website's explanation of refurbished phones.

Michael CM1
Dec 17, 2008, 10:00 PM
I find it curious that when I followed that link, the $100 unlimited talk time plan was selected by default instead of the $40 plan that most people I know use. Kinda like those dorks at Wendy's who decided to make all of their stuff larger and then charge you more for a medium combo. Just another way of making us have to triple check stuff.

I bought my original iPhone as a refurb and saved $150. I don't think $50 is worth the chance of "minor" scratches, especially since there's no guarantee they aren't on the screen.

I'm also sticking it out until there is at least a 32GB iPhone. I'll probably wait for 64GB because I like the $20/month plan and 200 free texts. But the 3G speed sure would be nice.

Surely
Dec 17, 2008, 11:49 PM
I don't think $50 is worth the chance of "minor" scratches, especially since there's no guarantee they aren't on the screen.

I agree. 50 bucks off is also not worth not having the 1 year warranty.

I'm also sticking it out until there is at least a 32GB iPhone. I'll probably wait for 64GB because I like the $20/month plan and 200 free texts. But the 3G speed sure would be nice.

3G would be nice, but it's so rare for me to not be on wifi. I really dig the $20/month and 200 free texts. It will take a major hardware change for me to upgrade.

Kobayashi
Dec 18, 2008, 01:41 AM
iPhone 3G is useless for me, i always use wifi.

benfica88
Dec 18, 2008, 10:04 AM
Are they already gone????

xUKHCx
Dec 18, 2008, 10:19 AM
There was some talk about the 1st Gen iPhone that are on offer through Apple's refurb pages.

This is now located in this thread: Refurb'd 4Gig iPhones at Apple $149

benfica88
Dec 18, 2008, 10:19 AM
On top of that, this thread has been all merged and conjobulated!!!

doodads
Dec 20, 2008, 08:18 AM
I just went to my account on AT&T, and for my son's existing line, it allowed me to upgrade him to a refurbished 3G phone.

applemonkey
Dec 26, 2008, 02:51 PM
doodads....can you explain how you did this because i cant seem to do this?

lennalie
Dec 28, 2008, 01:42 PM
I would appreciate that as well... I logged in to my account and attempted to upgrade my phone, but am not given any of the iPhones as an option. I'm not currently eligible for any of the upgrade discounts, but it does allow me to select either line on my family plan for upgrades, so I have to think it's just because the restrictions are so tight with the iPhone.

If you could post back and let us know how you were able to purchase the $99 refurb without a new line, I'd really appreciate it.

dnguyen
Dec 31, 2008, 07:17 AM
doesn't seem like a good deal to me if theres not a full 1 year warranty

ltdanicecream
Dec 31, 2008, 03:09 PM
They should offer a one year warranty as well, or else who would want to buy someones used iPhone?

friendgril
Jan 2, 2009, 09:58 PM
Why would anyone need that much velcro? These guys sell it by the roll http://www.liangdianup.com/miscellaneous_1.htm and is
hook and look and velcro the same thing?

Orikal
Jan 2, 2009, 10:47 PM
Picked mine up the day after Christmas for $99. Per the Apple site my warranty will expire 10/29/09, so I essentially lost 2 months of warranty time. The phone was in perfect condition except for one *very* minor (about 1cm) smudge on the back. I haven't found a better deal in a while.

I see they're back up to $150 now.

Quad_Pro
Jan 7, 2009, 10:27 AM
I have been waiting to get my Iphone for ever now. I decided the wait must end especially now that I can get an Iphone for $99.00 or so I thought. That rule only applies to new at&t customers. I did not even qualify for the $199.00 for the brand new Ipone 3g 8gig. If your already an at&t customer and expect a deal on any Iphone, keep dreaming because if your in a contract your going to pay full price for that long awaited Iphone.

Mine cost me $399.00. The sales person felt so bad for me, he threw in a free hard shell case, a free car charger and three free replaceable lens covers.

I even went to a few at&t stores to make sure no one was trying to pocket some money on me because I know the at&t people work on commissions or at least I think they make some commission.

In the long run I am happy I got brand new, not happy I got burned hard core but my first MacBook was refurbished and that thing has gone back 6 times for repairs.

I don't know if you can take Apple Care out on the refurbished phone either, at least I have two years of extended service. :apple:

WPeterson
Jan 7, 2009, 09:26 PM
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/abn/2009/global/pcon/b52_refresh_iph_090105.gif (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat172100050002&type=category)

Heeeee, refurbished AT&T iPhone 3G now is available on Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat172100050002&type=category

acutally, refurbished iPhone is not a bad idea, we know, some phones are still 99.99% fresh on store.

:cool::cool::cool:

nniicckk
Jan 10, 2009, 10:15 PM
I went to a Best Buy today and was told that they haven't received any refurbished iPhones. And they didn't know when they were coming either.

seand1111
Jan 11, 2009, 09:59 PM
Not sure if this is just a Premier thing or not, but this is my experience.

What I noticed was before I got my iPhone, if I wanted to upgrade a phone, even at full price, the iPhone was not listed. Once I got an iPhone (Thanks to my mother upgrading her 6 month old 16GB 1st Gen to a 16GB 3G) and activated it to my account, if I choose now to upgrade any of the other lines on my account (3 total, me, wife, and my nanny), I can now see the IPhone as an upgrade option. I just upgraded my wife to the Refurbished 8GB 3G phone, Now, I had to pay the Full $199 (Seems us Premier people do not get some discounts) but I was able to upgrade her phone even though she was not eligible for a phone at a discounted price.

I think some here said it before, it seems if there is no iPhone on the account then a person can not upgrade to an iPhone till they are eligible. Once you have one on your account, then it seems you can upgrade to other iPhones at any time. You just have to sign a new contract each time.

lonefrontranger
Jan 12, 2009, 01:16 PM
I don't know if they're still available, but I was offered a refurbished unit last Tuesday when I went into the Apple Store. Since I put 2 year AppleCare on it (yes, it was offered) I didn't see why I shouldn't save the extra $50.

I'm loving my new iPhone, and honestly it looked like a new unit. I immediately put it in an enclosed case, so even if it did have any slight scratches on it (couldn't see any) they won't show.

This is the best gadget I've ever owned. Even better was telling Verizon after ten years that they'd been kicked to the kerb.

savanahrose
Mar 12, 2009, 08:22 PM
Why wouldn't you get a refurbished iPhone for $50 less? I know the warranty is not as long and it has used hardware. So what's wrong with old hardware if is is the same exact memory and CPU as any other new iPhone? I see buying a refurbished iPhone the same as buying a new iPhone as long as it is restored.

I bought a refurb in May, warranty ran out in July and now I have a touch screen that doesn't work. It has dead spots. I am looking at getting a 16 gig white iphone, brand new.

It will cost 199.00 to swap out, I can get the screen fixed for 197.00 or buy a new one for 199.00 (upgrade, capable of doing that now) or 299 (according to att website) for a 16. It is 299.00 right? AT&T also told me that they are not making anymore white ones. Is the cracking real bad on the casing?

I am going to get the 16 gig, the company that I contacted here in Charleston to fix it is offering me 48.00 bucks for my broken iphone so they can use it for parts, so essentially I will be paying around 250.00 for the 16.
Sweet deal.