Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lukeksk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
I installed SPORE on the family iMac using my account. I played a quick round to see that it worked. Then my daughter logged into her account on the same iMac and tried playing the game but it asked her for the software registration code. I had to re-enter all the registration code again before the game would play. I'm puzzled by this behaviour.

Q. Does SPORE require that every account user on the same machine that wants to play the game need to register the software registration code (again) after it was successfully installed?

Q. If the above is true, is there a limit on the number of players on the same machine?

If the above questions are true, then SPORE is so unlike other games on the Mac.

Thanks,
--luke

Schmittroth

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
NYC, Astoria-Queens
It's very possible that what you think is true. There is some arcane DRM on Spore involving a certain number of installs. Long story short, if you need to install again and can't call EA support and threaten them with a flame war unless they up the number of authorizations for you. Supposedly the patch also increased the number of activations. I've heard anecdotal evidence of most of this but I can't personally vouch for any of it, I've only installed it once.

gavriels

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Q. Does SPORE require that every account user on the same machine that wants to play the game need to register the software registration code (again) after it was successfully installed?

Yes; the registration info is stored in the user's preferences folder, so it needs to be re-entered per user.

Q. If the above is true, is there a limit on the number of players on the same machine?

No, there is no limit to the number of players who can run the game on your machine, nor on the number of times you can install on that machine. That machine counts as a single registered machine (out of the five you get by default), regardless of how many users have run the game.

Thraun

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
EA should be boycotted. A terrible company that doesn't give one **** about their customers, and SPORE is a perfect example of such.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
That's a crock. You need to get your facts straight.

Um, it is a cider app, which is the Windows application wrapped up in Transgaming's Cider technology. There won't be a Power PC version.

Regardless patch 3 made Spore unplayable slow with no word on a fix. 1.02 plays much much better than 1.03.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
You need to get your facts straight.

The facts are straight. It's a Windows app wrapped in Cider, period, no debate, you can see for yourself if you look at the files. Sheesh. Never mind that it was mentioned in pretty much every "Spore on Mac" article.

--Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.