PDA

View Full Version : Amazing stuff you never expect to see

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2002, 09:37 AM
Today I was walking the dog on our normal Sunday routine; walk to Misha's for coffee, continue down through Old Town to the water front, throw the ball at the park and make our way back home, about 3-4 miles (more for the dog with all the running). On our way back we passed another park and I decided to throw the ball a couple more times to really tire the dog out. As I'm standing on the low stone wall, looking down the hill as the dog is racing after the ball, I noticed a large (dinner plate sized) turtle right below me against the wall.

I thought this was very cool and went down to investigate. I realized that as soon as the dog got back it would start barking at the turtle, so I picked it up to put in the bushes, only to see why she was there. As I lift the thing up, I uncover a small hole with about a half dozen or so eggs! She was laying them in a nest, OMG. I would never have expected to see this in real life, more like on the Discovery Channel. So I put her back and marked the area. They're going to be doing some sort of construction at the park in the next couple months, so I'll have to contact some at the city to come and move the nest.

I took the dog home and returned to make sure things were still going well, and noticed that by the time I got back she had finished laying eggs, covered up the hole (you wouldn't have even known it was there if you looked carefully) and was almost across the field headed for the river. But since she would have had to cross a busy street I went down and carried her to the water and let her go safely.

I was just amazed that I had happened to come along at the right moment and see the whole thing, it really was cool. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

teabgs
Jun 9, 2002, 09:53 AM
thats pretty cool....I cant think of an experience that I've had like that, though I have had cool experiences with nature.

I thought this thread was going to be about the fabled apple PDA and how its just everyone's imagination. ha! Guess I was way off.

:D

very cool story my friend, very cool. ;)

britboy
Jun 9, 2002, 09:54 AM
Not exactly a similar experience, but i managed to accidentally drown a bird when i was younger. Burried it with its own cross.

I still feel a bit bad about it now....:(

iGav
Jun 9, 2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by britboy
Not exactly a similar experience, but i managed to accidentally drown a bird when i was younger. Burried it with its own cross.

I still feel a bit bad about it now....:(

How the hell did you managed to accidentally drown a bird???????:confused:

As for seeing Turtles in the Thames........ you've got more chance of seeing dismembered torso's floating down stream (True)....... than anyform of wildlife....... it's filthy and smells bad as well........ I'm sure they could clean the Thames up if they wanted to........ although a couple of years back, I'm sure there was a whale seen somewhere upstream towards Fulham...... but I think the pollution killed it....... :(

britboy
Jun 9, 2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by iGAV

How the hell did you managed to accidentally drown a bird???????:confused:

I'd taken it in because i found it on the street unable to fly. Whilst giving it a bath in a tub of shallow water (2"), i got distracted by some friends, and forgot about the bird. When i came back an hour later, it was lying in the water, mort :(

You're right about the thames.... although it's been getting cleaner over the past few years. Fish have started appearing in parts.

iGav
Jun 9, 2002, 10:26 AM

I'd taken it in because i found it on the street unable to fly. Whilst giving it a bath in a tub of shallow water (2"), i got distracted by some friends, and forgot about the bird. When i came back an hour later, it was lying in the water, mort :(

You're right about the thames.... although it's been getting cleaner over the past few years. Fish have started appearing in parts.

Aha... I get you now... I just couldn't picture how you could accidentally drown a bird......

As for the Thames...... I was at Butlers Wharf by Tower Bridge when they found the torso of that young boy..... it was truely horiffic...... the Thames is much cleaner the further east you go..... but in central london, between Westminister and the City it's just disgusting........ it's a shame, because they're developing the riverside now, especially between Westminister Bridge and Southwark...... it's becoming quite the place to be seen..... well in summer that is..... come winter..... I love Covent Garden........ :D

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2002, 10:48 AM
that is pretty damned cool duke...kinda makes a warm spot in your heart doesn't it? ;)

I haven't really had that type of experience...but more the opposite...sad story involving a puppy which I won't get into... :(

but I will say this...the way u do things...taking the dog out out for a walk & playing catch in the park...sounds like the dreamlife that u only see in movies & such...definitely something most people aspire for! :D

mymemory
Jun 9, 2002, 11:08 AM
A few years ago I was at the beach (picture below) with my friends and about half mile way from us a bunch of people started to yield and scream and cheers, there was a bunch of baby turtles comming out the sand in the middle of the crow. I was so drunk I didn't even bother go to see. But I think it was pretty trippy, no one ever think about how really cool those things are.:)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2002, 12:26 PM
It is kind of cool. I haven't got a hold of the city people, being sunday and all. I'll have to do something about it tomorrow.

Britboy, go see About the Boy, damn funny movie, really. Not a chick flick but a good date movie that anyone can enjoy. There's a scene in there about a duck....

britboy
Jun 9, 2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
... About a Boy, damn funny movie, really. Not a chick flick but a good date movie that anyone can enjoy. There's a scene in there about a duck....

I just watched the trailer.... looks pretty good actually. I see what you mean about the duck. I'll be looking out for it when it's in the cinemas.

That 'lake' where the duck gets killed is the same one i pushed my fiancee into about 15 years ago :D :rolleyes: Ahhh, the memories.... :p

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2002, 12:55 PM

That 'lake' where the duck gets killed is the same one i pushed my fiancee into about 15 years ago :D :rolleyes: Ahhh, the memories.... :p

I like that about movies sometimes, when you see things you recognize. Which is the case quite a lot when you live around DC.