Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNet reports that Apple's announcement that Steve Jobs would not be hosting the keynote for Macworld San Francisco 2009 came as a complete surprise to IDG, the organizers of the show.
The announcement "completely blindsided" IDG, according to a source familiar with the negotiations, coming just weeks before the event was scheduled to take place. IDG World Expo, a division of tech publishing giant IDG, had no reason not to expect Jobs would make his customary appearance at Macworld. Then came the word from Cupertino.

Article Link: IDG "Completely Blindsided" by Apple's Withdrawal from Macworld

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

They weren't the only ones!

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
bit rude of apple i think. Surely the organisers need to know who is keynoting at their own conference.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
The title of this is slightly inaccurate, no? Apple hasn't withdrawn from Macworld (well this year, anyway). Jobs just isn't doing the keynote, that's all. And you can't even say "Jobs' withdrawal," as it was never officially announced he was doing it (just assumed).

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
The title of this is slightly inaccurate, no? Apple hasn't withdrawn from Macworld (well this year, anyway). Jobs just isn't doing the keynote, that's all. And you can't even say "Jobs' withdrawal," as it was never officially announced he was doing it (just assumed).
Apple have announced they're withdrawing from Macworld post 2009. I fail to see how the title of this story is inaccurate.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Apple have announced they're withdrawing from Macworld post 2009. I fail to see how the title of this story is inaccurate.

It's not accurate because the headline does not match the facts. The "completely blindsided" quote was in reference to the news that SJ would not host the keynote, not Apple's pulling out of Macworld next year.

Edit: from the story...
After Apple informed IDG that CEO Steve Jobs would skip next month's Macworld, the news left the conference sponsor in a state of shock.

The announcement "completely blindsided" IDG, according to a source familiar with the negotiations, coming just weeks before the event was scheduled to take place. IDG World Expo, a division of tech publishing giant IDG, had no reason not to expect Jobs would make his customary appearance at Macworld. Then came the word from Cupertino.

quinney

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007

Right you are. That is the penalty IDG gets for assuming. (also
maybe the penalty they get for announcing earlier that SJ
would be there, before Apple announced anything about it)

tingly

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
Coulda been that Jobs would have done it if some sweet new project was ready in time, but they figured out it won't be and made the announcement. It's not expected to be much anyway - sales talk, speed bumps and a look at Snow Leopard.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Apple blindsided everyone on this, not just IDG. They obviously have their reasons for doing so, so so be it I guess. (Cool, I used three "so"s in a row... :p ;))

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Coulda been that Jobs would have done it if some sweet new project was ready in time, but they figured out it won't be and made the announcement. It's not expected to be much anyway - sales talk, speed bumps and a look at Snow Leopard.

Yeah - when Apple had the media event to announce new Macbooks the media was underwhelmed and stories were more about the lack of exciting news than about the products. Chances are that Apple thinks upgraded iMacs, mini, Mac Pro, and more talk about Snow Leopard will just seem disappointing, and wants to downplay the whole thing.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
Steve Jobs is having a press event elsewhere announcing the new Minis the same day Schiller talks about Snow Leopard, wouldn't that be cool?

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
Completely blind-sided seems like a bit of hyperbole!

Didn't Apple complain about trade shows being overdone and under-rewarding several years ago and backed out of Boston. Then Boston ceased to exist. How could IDG have not still had that on their minds? Now Apple will not do San Fransisco. Not a big shocker considering Apples desire to control its products from end-to-end. Now Apple picks the time and the place. Apple will release products on its own terms and in its own time not because a trade show happens to be on a certain date.

And until Jobs says he will be there, there should be no assumption that he will be there. IDG should know this. Any statement from them reeks of sour grapes as well as desperation that this will mean the end of their thing.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
Steve Jobs = Grinch That Stole Christmas

STEVE JOBS = GRINCH THAT STOLE CHRISTMAS​

Seriously, why couldn't Apple wait until AFTER MacWorld to announce the bad news that they wanted to cut down on trade show costs and abandon these legacy era shows, etc. ???

Steve Jobs is turning into one serious out of touch arrogant idiot in troubling economic times.

I used to think Apple was in far better shape than the junk WinPeeCee manufacturers, but now that Windows desktop sales are outpacing Mac desktop sales again, I'm starting to think the exact opposite.

Canceling MACWORLD was more than just cost cutting, it is ENORMOUS BAD PR to the MAC FAITHFUL like me and incredibly bad timing.

I just hope Jobs is sick or makes a surprise appearance via iPhone video or something, because otherwise he's clearly stupid and arrogant. No, I don't hope Jobs is sick, but you get my point.

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
I just hope Jobs is sick or makes a surprise appearance via iPhone video or something, because otherwise he's clearly stupid and arrogant. No, I don't hope Jobs is sick, but you get my point.

So you hope Steve Jobs is sick? Nice.

I think Apple probably knows what's best for its business. But I am sure Steve Jobs appreciates your warm sentiments this holiday season!

tingly

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
I don't care if Apple is at MacWorld or not, as long as the new products come out. grinch sminch

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Apple finally going back to their not making announcements at these events, though the pullout is unusual.

Funny how Apple used to be in this same habit of not making these big shows keynote worthy as far as new products, and then fell back into this rut of doing again after they had spanked themselves soundly and broke themselves of that nasty habit several years ago.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO

Semantics. Apple is withdrawing from the conference after this one.
But your point about Steve's participation is accurate - he was never officially slated to keynote.

And I looked forward to Stevenotes and MWSF as much as the next. But I care less about MW and more about new products & innovation. As long as they don't bail on those last two, I'm good.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
STEVE JOBS = GRINCH THAT STOLE CHRISTMAS​

Seriously, why couldn't Apple wait until AFTER MacWorld to announce the bad news that they wanted to cut down on trade show costs and abandon these legacy era shows, etc. ???

Steve Jobs is turning into one serious out of touch arrogant idiot in troubling economic times.

I used to think Apple was in far better shape than the junk WinPeeCee manufacturers, but now that Windows desktop sales are outpacing Mac desktop sales again, I'm starting to think the exact opposite.

Canceling MACWORLD was more than just cost cutting, it is ENORMOUS BAD PR to the MAC FAITHFUL like me and incredibly bad timing.

From my point of view, apple is using the economic downturn to restructure itself. When times are bad, making things just a little worse isn't necessarily a bad thing as it can lead to a lot of positive change in the future when the economy is in better shape again.

Nobody lives forever and Steve Jobs won't do either so he'll have to take a step back at some point just like everybody else. So it's better for them to introduce this change slowly rather than it being a massive and unexpected change a few years down the road. They'll need to start putting other people on stage so that apples stakeholders, the media and the stock markets can get to know and trust them. That's my interpretation of the whole story anyways, we'll see what happens....

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
I just don't buy it. How can they say they were blindsided when they weren't even able to officially confirm Steve's presence like they normally would. With all of the questions regarding Steve's health, pulling out of NAB, etc., they probaly new there was a pretty good chance of Apple changing it up this year.

Chances are they had a pretty good inclination this was going down as such. I am pretty sure they are just trying to save face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.