PDA

View Full Version : Retired Space Shuttle - Yours for FREE...plus P&P

edesignuk
Dec 18, 2008, 09:31 AM
NASA has announced plans for disposal of the Space Shuttle fleet and spare main engines. The space agency intends to donate one orbiter to the Smithsonian museum, and give the others to "educational institutions, science museums, and other appropriate organizations".

The proud new owners will need to stump up an estimated $42m in decommissioning and delivery charges for a shuttle and $400-$800k for a main engine, exclusive of shipping.The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/18/nasa_shuttle_giveaway_plan/).

iBecks
Dec 18, 2008, 09:43 AM
I'll take 2 please.
I thought donation meant for Free.

Telephone call from NASA to Smithsonian Museum

NASA: Hi, we'd like to donate this shuttle orbiter to your museum

Museum: Cool, thank you very much.

NASA: If you could just pay the donation fee by Paypal for 42.8 million dollars as soon as possible that would be great.

Museum: errr, how much? :eek:

NASA: 42.8 million dollars, that includes delivery, if you can let us have your shipping addess for DHL?

:D:D:D:D:D

MacBoobsPro
Dec 18, 2008, 09:49 AM
In the UK would this be a large letter or a packet?

rdowns
Dec 18, 2008, 09:51 AM
Any trades?

iBlue
Dec 18, 2008, 09:58 AM
In the UK would this be a large letter or a packet?

Doesn't matter, it probably won't make it on time for the holidays anyway (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/3832714/Presents-to-be-late-for-Christmas-amid-strikes.html). :rolleyes:

MacBoobsPro
Dec 18, 2008, 10:06 AM
Doesn't matter, it probably won't make it on time for the holidays anyway (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/3832714/Presents-to-be-late-for-Christmas-amid-strikes.html). :rolleyes:

Damn I really wanted it for Christmas too. A space shuttle would be ok for a 4 year old wouldn't it?

RedTomato
Dec 18, 2008, 02:34 PM
I'll be generous and swap an iBook for it.

Meh, I'll be the loser, the iBook has more computing power anyways, but I believe in supporting the noble and thong-stirring work NASA does.

EricNau
Dec 18, 2008, 02:38 PM
Perhaps they should sell it on ebay. :D

tobefirst
Dec 18, 2008, 02:46 PM
Under what circumstances would a museum even begin to recover the $42,000,000 they would "invest" on this?

EricNau
Dec 18, 2008, 02:54 PM
Under what circumstances would a museum even begin to recover the $42,000,000 they would "invest" on this?
The Smithsonian Institution, for example, is funded by the government, and was founded to "increase and diffuse knowledge." It doesn't exist to make money.

notjustjay
Dec 18, 2008, 03:40 PM
NASA: Hi, we'd like to donate this shuttle orbiter to your museum

Museum: Cool, thank you very much.

NASA: If you could just pay the donation fee by Paypal for 42.8 million dollars as soon as possible that would be great.

Careful, this sounds like a scam. Especially if they ask you to send the money by wire transfer!

Just you wait, you'll call up NASA, and they'll tell you they're all currently vacationing in the UK, but if you'll just go ahead and wire the money to the science agency in Nigeria...

joepunk
Dec 18, 2008, 04:06 PM
I'll take a shuttle seat thank you.

This is bringing me back to my week at Space Camp. That was a fun time.

RedTomato
Dec 18, 2008, 04:29 PM

Didn't the russians or someone sell a Buran on eBay? Google won't tell me, but I recall seeing a massive but outdated piece of hardware go on eBay.

obeygiant
Dec 18, 2008, 05:01 PM
Do they take credit cards?

If I had a trillion or so dollars... I'd buy it.

Dont Hurt Me
Dec 18, 2008, 06:15 PM
They should sell it to the Chinese! maybe we can get a few dollars out of those trillions we are sending their way.

dmr727
Dec 18, 2008, 07:01 PM
This is bringing me back to my week at Space Camp. That was a fun time.

I used to have a crush on Lea Thompson from that movie.

Schtumple
Dec 18, 2008, 07:04 PM
How much for gift wrapping or is that included?

soemochris
Dec 18, 2008, 07:16 PM
eerrrr, forget delivery, I'll pick it up

Abstract
Dec 19, 2008, 12:14 AM
Does it come with lube?

jodelli
Dec 19, 2008, 12:32 AM
I dunno, you can't just pick up ammonium perchlorate at the local filling station, let alone liquid hydrogen. Maybe lox though, if it's a busy 7/11.

sanPietro98
Dec 19, 2008, 07:10 AM
Does the $42m come with a 3-year NASA-Care warranty?

sushi
Dec 19, 2008, 07:39 AM
Now that would be cool. :)

Careful, this sounds like a scam. Especially if they ask you to send the money by wire transfer!

Just you wait, you'll call up NASA, and they'll tell you they're all currently vacationing in the UK, but if you'll just go ahead and wire the money to the science agency in Nigeria...
Somehow I knew that Nigeria would enter the equation. LOL.

I think they are standing by for your order now ... while quantities are limited ... get yours now! :p

How much for gift wrapping or is that included?
Probably included. :)

Does the $42m come with a 3-year NASA-Care warranty?
Snort!

GoCubsGo
Dec 19, 2008, 07:39 AM
Dibbs! YGPM!

Flynnstone
Dec 19, 2008, 09:22 AM

Imagine the Air Miles. ;)