Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
I know this is a simple silly question, but how do you change the size of the icons ?
I have looked "everywhere" for an answer, but still no luck.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
In the desktop, or any window you like, go to View -> Show View Options. Or command-J. you can resize icons there, up to 128x128. you can apply to a window or all windows, just select which one you want before you resize anything...

paul

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Thank you...
I feel stupid as well.

Shouldn't this option be under system preference>appearance ?
That's where I was looking.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Originally posted by Dahl
Shouldn't this option be under system preference>appearance ?
That's where I was looking.

No, you have to think about how widespread you want your change to be.
As a general rule, if a change affects the whole system, eg resolution, number of recent items etc, then it is in System Preferences.
If a change affects a whole application (remember Finder is an application), eg default action when the application is opened, then this will be in the application's preferences in the application menu.
If an option is document or window specific, eg icon size for a window, it will be somewhere else, maybe a menu item, or a button on the window etc.
If a setting could be applied to every window or just one (as is the case here), it usually fits into the last category, with some kind of option of whether it affects every window/document or just the current one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.