Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrWho

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I have about 16076 pictures that are set to change about every 5 minutes on my background, because I love nature shots and all that. A while ago, I had a friend copy pictures from my "special" folder and he accidently put a few of them in my pictures folder and sometimes I get the images on my desktop (which is incredibly embarrassing)

Does a program exist that will be able to tell me the name of a picture that comes up as my background image, or can I use console or something like that

any help would be appreciated

Passive101

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
oh wow :eek:

I can't help, but I would just go through the folder so you can view the pictures and weed the "special" ones out.

DrWho

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
but with all of those pictures, it would take ages, plus it is only maybe 20 pictures tops, so the times I see them are very few but when I do I just try to turn off the screen so others do not see it

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
Try sorting your nature folder by date, size, or type... perhaps the special photos will rise to the top?

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Try sorting your nature folder by date, size, or type... perhaps the special photos will rise to the top?

Oh, there is a thought.

If you open Terminal.app, you can do the following:
cd ~/Pictures
ls -ltr

The -ltr will sort the list output in last modified format, so you can get the file names that were touched last. But I am not sure if it changes the date of a file when you move it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.