PDA

View Full Version : How is this for putting off a new switcher

purplealien
Feb 25, 2004, 05:46 AM
A friend of mine has been wanting to get a refurb PB via the UK Apple store. Few weeks ago some came available so he placed an order. Weeks later after being given the run around by Apple UK, we find out that they advertise refurbs and give you an order number even when they have non in stock. As you can imagine
my mate is pretty fed up with it all and may not bother trying to get an Apple machine anymore. :mad:

masterjedi73
Feb 25, 2004, 08:05 AM
I'm not supporting Apple's tactics (if that's true) but to not buy an incredible machine because of that is ridiculous. If your friend really wants it, he should spend the extra money and get it. It's definitely worth it.

purplealien
Feb 25, 2004, 09:07 AM
It is still up to me to convince him to do that, however it doesnt make life easy for us switch advocates :)

Applespider
Feb 25, 2004, 09:13 AM
Try thinking about it this way. If they only advertise when they're in stock, you've got to be in the right place at the right time. There's a lot of luck involved there... You could spend weeks visiting the refurb store hoping to get lucky.

If you've got an order number, then I guess it's like being top of the queue. You'll get one next time they get some refurbs available. They should still tell you that's it's not actually in stock though when you place that order!

maclamb
Feb 25, 2004, 09:13 AM
See, now I would disagree. The company, its policies and how they do business is part of the switch.
Perhpas the better point is to not buy it in the UK.

caveman_uk
Feb 25, 2004, 09:31 AM
I once tried to buy a refurb ipod and was given an order number. Apple emailed me within an hour to say that they had run out and that the order was cancelled. This was made clear at the time of ordering. My understanding is that in the US the refurb store always has stuff for sale (I may be completely wrong). In the Uk refurb stuff is only offered at 10am on a Wednesday and there can be weeks that go by with nothing being offered. Like the rest of Apple Europe it's a bit clueless and haphazard....

caveman_uk
Feb 25, 2004, 09:35 AM
Incidently if your mate still wants a powerbook then either

a)get it via the Apple Education store if he's eligible
b)Buy it from John Lewis. They give a two year warranty on all computers.
c) Go to the US for the weekend and get one there. You could probably have a weekend in the US for the price difference between the US and the UK on a 17inch PB

Belly-laughs
Feb 25, 2004, 09:36 AM
Try "The Clearance Store (http://www.tcsmacs.com) " if you´re after refurbs. They always seem to have loads in stock. I´ve never bought anything from them so wouldn´t know if they´re any good. They come with 1yr warranty.

m4rc
Feb 25, 2004, 09:41 AM
Try Cancom. http://www.cancomuk.com/

They have high street stores too. They currently have a 12" and a 17" in stock.

Marc

James Craner
Feb 25, 2004, 04:02 PM
John Lewis, quite often have refurbished machines. At least the one in Bristol nearly always has at least one Mac laptop for sale as a used machine. Speaking to the Sales assistants they are often returned because people buy them on the spur of the moment and do not realise that they can't run their Windows apps on them. So you can get a practically brand new machine at ££ off.