Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yuhaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Just remind you guys to backup your data before 10.5.6 update. I have a bad experience for that!!!!

My story is long, please give me some advice, I appreciate your help ahead.

I tried to update my OS to 10.5.6 but failed. the update stacked at 10% percent. I went to Genius bar yesterday evening. The guy tried to install combo update for me and the nightmare started. The combo didn't work too and it came out with fail updated, file damage. He verified the disk and it said " key length invalid" and he restart my computer. Then my computer never come back anymore. It can't start up and shows some words in black background and with 4 countries languages to let me restart my computer. I tried to use safe mode restart, try to select start disk(it shows my disk and network option) but the result is the same.

What should I do now? Should I complain the guy in the genius bar? The genius bar guy didn't warn me about any issues. It looked like it is a piece cake for him to resolve my update problem. I can't believe that an update can come to the end with harddisk failure!!!!!!

Guys, I know it is a long story. pls give me some advice. I don't want to lose my data......... What should I do..........

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Just remind you guys to backup your data before 10.5.6 update. I have a bad experience for that!!!!

My story is long, please give me some advice, I appreciate your help ahead.

I tried to update my OS to 10.5.6 but failed. the update stacked at 10% percent. I went to Genius bar yesterday evening. The guy tried to install combo update for me and the nightmare started. The combo didn't work too and it came out with fail updated, file damage. He verified the disk and it said " key length invalid" and he restart my computer. Then my computer never come back anymore. It can't start up and shows some words in black background and with 4 countries languages to let me restart my computer. I tried to use safe mode restart, try to select start disk(it shows my disk and network option) but the result is the same.

What should I do now? Should I complain the guy in the genius bar? should I argue to let them to pay me for that mistake? The genius bar guy didn't warn me about any issues. It looked like it is a piece cake for him to resolve my update problem. I can't believe that an update can come to the end with harddisk failure!!!!!!

Guys, I know it is a long story. pls give me some advice. I don't want to lose my data......... I want them to take responsibility for that mistake. What should I do..........

why didnt he resolve the kernel panic after he saw it come up ? he caused it so it should be the apple stores burden imo

yuhaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
why didnt he resolve the kernel panic after he saw it come up ? he caused it so it should be the apple stores burden imo

He ask me to other place to get the data out and change harddisk and let me go!!!! by the way, My air is in warranty.

He went to backroom for twice during the service time!!!! :eek:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If the drive file structure is damaged before an OS update starts it can crash.

The data should still be there, after the drive is repaired, but the OS might not survive and have to be reinstalled.

I'm really surprise they didn't break out the DVD and a drive to run the drive repair.

yuhaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
If the drive file structure is damaged before an OS update starts it can crash.

The data should still be there, after the drive is repaired, but the OS might not survive and have to be reinstalled.

It is not the case. Although I couldn't update successfully, It can start up, save file and everything seems in good order before I went to genius bar. After the guy tried to install combo update, everything changed!

I was so shocked that I only packed my Air and went away....

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
It is not the case. Although I couldn't update successfully, It can start up, save file and everything seems in good order before I went to genius bar. After the guy tried to install combo update, everything changed!

Doesn't mean the drive's file/catalog structure wasn't damaged, the invalid key length could have been there before the update.

Edit: this can increase the chance of an update failing.

yuhaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Doesn't mean the drive's file/catalog structure wasn't damaged, the invalid key length could have been there before the update.

It is possible. The guy said that "invalid key length means harddisk failure". But before I went to there, I restarted my Air for several times and there was no problem.

I don't know if you notice the frontpage of macrmors. It is the exactly problem I have. update file downloading interrupted and failed to update

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Is it booting into single user mode, and failing fsck?

A completely trashed drive won't even boot into single user mode.

---

Don't know what repair tools you'd need to repair the drive enough to mount it long enough to copy the files off it.

yuhaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Is it booting into single user mode, and failing fsck?

A completely trashed drive won't even boot into single user mode.

---

Don't know what repair tools you'd need to repair the drive enough to mount it long enough to copy the files off it.

No single use mode at all. Gray apple and then black background with 4 countries languages to let you restart...

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
It doesn't really sound like his fault to me; you can't really prevent hard disk failure, it's just part of the wear and tear of using a computer, so it's not really a "mistake" on his part. Go back over there and explain to them what happened. I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Still doesn't mean the drive is trashed, the OS might be trashed. And the file system is well on the way in that direction.

Seek help in fixing the drive and saving the files before trying to repair the OS.

---

Writing to the drive with this error could totally trash the file catalog and make recovering files all that much harder.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I can't believe that an update can come to the end with harddisk failure!!!!!!
A software update like 10.5.6 isn't capable of causing a perfectly fine hard drive to fail.

However, a failing hard drive would cause every issue that you listed in your original post.

The fact that your Air failed (with a disk error) during the combo update install indicates that it wasn't truly in "good order" when you brought it to the Genius Bar.

Why aren't you using the Time Machine feature of OS X? If you were, the Genius could slap in a new, non-failing hard disk and then you could go home and restore all of your data.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
Surprised that it is not a store policy to ask you if backed up your files before working on it. Isn't it on the tech note? You may be SOL since you left the store before it was resolved.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Let me get this straight, the OP had trouble installing the latest update on his Air, he then takes it to the genius and all the genius does is try and re-apply the latest update and he had a failed install so now the OP is trying to BLAME the genius??? And he wants Apple to PAY him??? That's horrible!!! It's a hardware failure, nobody's at fault. Use your Applecare, if you don't have it then it's your own fault. :p

yuhaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
wow, so many intresting answers. Keep in mind that my macbook air is still in warranty!

I talked with technique supporter through the phone. They ask me to do an archive installation. He can't believe that the genius bar didn't do any hardware test to tell me harddisk failure.

Now, I am installing....I will update the information later..........

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Still doesn't mean the drive is trashed, the OS might be trashed. And the file system is well on the way in that direction.

Seek help in fixing the drive and saving the files before trying to repair the OS.

OP, listen to this advice. Sun Baked is right on the money on this one. The HDD is in bad shape, and you want to get some help making at least a copy of the data on the drive, and then do a clean install of the OS.

I've run into problems like this (not triggered by trying to do an update, but I have had the filesystem die on me many times in the last 15 years), and Sun Baked is 100% right here.

yuhaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
OP, listen to this advice. Sun Baked is right on the money on this one. The HDD is in bad shape, and you want to get some help making at least a copy of the data on the drive, and then do a clean install of the OS.

I've run into problems like this (not triggered by trying to do an update, but I have had the filesystem die on me many times in the last 15 years), and Sun Baked is 100% right here.

Krevnik, thanks for your advice. Can you give me details about how to do that? how to making a copy of the data? I tried the Archive installing, it is failed. I am trying the second time.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Krevnik, thanks for your advice. Can you give me details about how to do that? how to making a copy of the data? I tried the Archive installing, it is failed. I am trying the second time.

It won't work on the second try if it failed on the first. The filesystem is damaged. Writing more data is just gonna make it work.

What I'd do is buy an external USB HDD if you don't already have a decent one. Install OS X onto the external USB HDD. Boot from the external HDD and do what you can to copy data from the internal drive onto the external that you want to keep (documents/etc).

Then FORMAT the internal drive, and reinstall OS X onto the internal drive. Copy the files you want back onto the internal drive. Keep around the external drive with OS X on it, and install your favorite HDD repair tools like DiskWarrior/etc for future needs.

yuhaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
It won't work on the second try if it failed on the first. The filesystem is damaged. Writing more data is just gonna make it work.

What I'd do is buy an external USB HDD if you don't already have a decent one. Install OS X onto the external USB HDD. Boot from the external HDD and do what you can to copy data from the internal drive onto the external that you want to keep (documents/etc).

Then FORMAT the internal drive, and reinstall OS X onto the internal drive. Copy the files you want back onto the internal drive. Keep around the external drive with OS X on it, and install your favorite HDD repair tools like DiskWarrior/etc for future needs.

Thank you. Maybe it is better to just go to the service they recommended to get the data out and let them change a new hard disk for me :(

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Thank you. Maybe it is better to just go to the service they recommended to get the data out and let them change a new hard disk for me :(

Don't worry, it doesn't sound like it was the Genius's fault, just more of a coincidence.

They may be able to mount the drive on another machine to repair the OS installation, and if so you might be able to access your files. From there I would recommend frequent backing up in case the drive does die on you.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The file system was damaged, I'm sorry to say this, but there is a chance the archive and install you tried may have lost you your data.

If you try it again, and the drive is still repairable at this point, and it fails once again the data may be gone forever.

yuhaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
here is the update information. I went back to apple store. They got my data out and changed a new hard disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.